• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or ISTP.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I'm still pretty confused about my true type whether i'm an INTP or ISTP most tests I take say INTP some say ISTP. I always get the lowest score when it comes to "s" and "n" I figured out recently though that I tend to get along with people from the ISTP quadra more than the INTP quadra. For example I tend to like ENFPs more than ESFPs, could this be a factor in determining a type?

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I'm still pretty confused about my true type whether i'm an INTP or ISTP most tests I take say INTP some say ISTP. I always get the lowest score when it comes to "s" and "n" I figured out recently though that I tend to get along with people from the ISTP quadra more than the INTP quadra. For example I tend to like ENFPs more than ESFPs, could this be a factor in determining a type?

How much do you identify with the type descriptions of ISTP vs. INTP? You may just be someone who is on the border between the two types. My husband is like that. He first tested as ISTP, then INTP in later years. He comes across to others as INTP because he is very intellectual and can go into long explanations of topics he is interested in. However, things that SPs say about their preferences, such as their tendency to run up the stairs at airports (while loaded with baggage, backpack, etc.) instead of taking the escalator, strongly preferring driving stick-shift instead of automatic, fit him well. He also has a real interest and knowledge of tools for his hobbies- he has to have the right tool for the project at hand. :) It's pretty confusing trying to figure his type out!

Edit: He likes riding motorcycles, too.

If your avatar photo is of you, your eyes seem pretty intense and serious. You look like an ISTP to me, FWIW.

Ace_

MBTI Type
TNT
Judging from this limited information (your avatar and this post) I'd say you're an ISTP.

VagrantFarce

I think the best way to do this is to read into how the functions play out depending on their position in the function order. greenlight wiki is a great resource for this:

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki
Auxillary: Attitudes from the Horse's Mouth
Tertiary: Tertiary Temptation

Despite similarity in their names, the two types can be very different.

INTPs and INFPs often preach "thinking outside the box" and the importance of adjusting and adapting creatively and spontaneously to whatever happens, not imposing a priori criteria on things. The phrase "outside the box" is usually a tip-off that someone is talking about Extraverted Intuition.

ISTPs and ISFPs often preach "go with the flow, man." They like to preach that since you can't control the world, you've got to just go with what you feel like doing at each moment, without anticipating the future and without bogging yourself down by trying to be consistent with the past. Have fun now, man, tomorrow you could be hit by a bus. Just "be." See Extraverted Sensation.

Tertiary Si (INxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, I don't have any reliable concepts or map to anchor myself with: it's all arbitrary and untrustworthy and meaningless. I'd be diving in without any orientation; I'd be tripped up or harmed from any random direction, and my efforts wouldn't be cumulative. I just won't budge. I'll build myself some barricades and wait for the storm to blow over." The Secondary Function (Ne) would say: "Look around, shake up the pot, see what new arises, and deal with it imaginatively; there must be better alternatives available than being stuck here." (My secondary Ne says something more in the lines of "Pay attention to your surroundings and do the thing that will have the most interesting results. Don't be dumb just because you don't have any experience.")

Tertiary Ni (ISxP): "I can't possibly go along with this, 'cuz it's all a lie. It's all a set-up by the Man. I'd just be serving his interests and not my own. I'm not gonna be suckered by all this self-serving bull. No way, man, I gotta go my own way." Or "Why should I imitate the cool people? Despite their shiny clothes and social connections, they are still as vulnerable as anyone else." The Secondary Function (Se) would say: "This thing's bigger than you. Better just go with the flow, do what you can, trust your instincts to deal with what's right here and now."

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think the best way to do this is to read into how the functions play out depending on their position in the function order. greenlight wiki is a great resource for this:

The Lenore Thomson Exegesis Wiki
Auxillary: Attitudes from the Horse's Mouth
Tertiary: Tertiary Temptation

Despite similarity in their names, the two types can be very different.

ISTPs and ISFPs often preach "go with the flow, man." They like to preach that since you can't control the world, you've got to just go with what you feel like doing at each moment, without anticipating the future and without bogging yourself down by trying to be consistent with the past. Have fun now, man, tomorrow you could be hit by a bus. Just "be." See Extraverted Sensation.

"i defiantly have this kind of feeling every day It feels like I can die.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The biggest difference I see between my INTP father and ISTP brother (my type guesses) is that my brother is much more impulsive. They have many overlapping interests, but my brother's tendency to indulge in the moment is faaaaaar more prevalent and subject to chastisement than my father's.

Most frequent explanations excuses for doing things they shouldn't have to my ESFJ step-mother?

ISTP: It was just fun.
INTP: It was just interesting.

;)

Given your remarks, I should add their mutual interests lie in: science, computers, motorcycles, cars, tools, and using their binoculars at sports games to eyeball the cheerleaders. (I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE UP TO!)

jixmixfix

Permabanned
How much do you identify with the type descriptions of ISTP vs. INTP? You may just be someone who is on the border between the two types. My husband is like that. He first tested as ISTP, then INTP in later years. He comes across to others as INTP because he is very intellectual and can go into long explanations of topics he is interested in. However, things that SPs say about their preferences, such as their tendency to run up the stairs at airports (while loaded with baggage, backpack, etc.) instead of taking the escalator, strongly preferring driving stick-shift instead of automatic, fit him well. He also has a real interest and knowledge of tools for his hobbies- he has to have the right tool for the project at hand. :) It's pretty confusing trying to figure his type out!

Edit: He likes riding motorcycles, too.

If your avatar photo is of you, your eyes seem pretty intense and serious. You look like an ISTP to me, FWIW.

your husband seems ISTP to me, tools, motorcycles...I defiantly have an intensive side to me the picture in the avatar isn't me but I do enjoy being active and I'm quite skilled at jiu-jitsu. I also enjoy the unknown and abstract ideas, intellectual conversations. I tend to not take as many risks as the typical ISTP descriptions say and I'm quite cautious(that could be because I'm an introvert).

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
your husband seems ISTP to me, tools, motorcycles...I defiantly have an intensive side to me the picture in the avatar isn't me but I do enjoy being active and I'm quite skilled at jiu-jitsu. I also enjoy the unknown and abstract ideas, intellectual conversations. I tend to not take as many risks as the typical ISTP descriptions say and I'm quite cautious(that could be because I'm an introvert).

The ISTP description here [http://www.personalitypage.com/ISTP_car.html] states that ISTPs are "usually able to master theory and abstract thinking, but don't particularly like dealing with it unless they see a practical application". I have a theory that high IQ ISTPs have more well-developed abstract thinking skills than the norm and thus can appear to be INTPs.

What is your intensive side like, i.e. what are you intense about?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
The ISTP description here [http://www.personalitypage.com/ISTP_car.html] states that ISTPs are "usually able to master theory and abstract thinking, but don't particularly like dealing with it unless they see a practical application". I have a theory that high IQ ISTPs have more well-developed abstract thinking skills than the norm and thus can appear to be INTPs.

What is your intensive side like, i.e. what are you intense about?

well I like to fight, train mixed martial arts, that's a big one. I enjoy sports but also serious intellectual conversations. I listen to powerful music, I use to play concerts and shows when I was in a band a few years ago.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
well I like to fight, train mixed martial arts, that's a big one. I enjoy sports but also serious intellectual conversations. I listen to powerful music, I use to play concerts and shows when I was in a band a few years ago.

You can enjoy serious intellectual conversations and still be an ISTP. Also, most people don't fit their type descriptions 100%. I would just go with the type that is the best fit, overall. Also, in reading some of your posts in other threads, it seems like most people think you are an ISTP, and your own descriptions of yourself point in that direction, yet you seem to keep questioning your type. I'm wondering if there are aspects of the ISTP type description that you don't like and perhaps you would prefer to be an INTP?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Introverts enjoy deeper conversations, which could be what you're enjoying there, rather than the theoretical aspect of it. Would you consider yourself to be concrete or abstract? Just observe yourself when you describe something, an Ne user would try to relate what they're describing to something they already know, whereas and Se user would describe it how it how it appears to be.

You can enjoy serious intellectual conversations and still be an ISTP. Also, most people don't fit their type descriptions 100%. I would just go with the type that is the best fit, overall. Also, in reading some of your posts in other threads, it seems like most people think you are an ISTP, and your own descriptions of yourself point in that direction, yet you seem to keep questioning your type. I'm wondering if there are aspects of the ISTP type description that you don't like and perhaps you would prefer to be an INTP?

jixmixfix is likely to be an enneagram 6 (or at least have a 6 wing):
“As my anxiety has come under control, so has my need to ‘check out’ everything with my friends. I used to have to get the nod of approval from several hundred (just joking!) ‘authorities.’ About nearly every decision would involve a council of my friends. I usually would do this one on one: ‘What do you think, Mary?’ ‘If I do this, then that might happen.’ Please make up my mind for me!’…Recently, I’ve narrowed my authorities to just one or two trusted friends, and on occasion, I’ve actually made up my own mind!“

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Introverts enjoy deeper conversations, which could be what you're enjoying there, rather than the theoretical aspect of it. Would you consider yourself to be concrete or abstract? Just observe yourself when you describe something, an Ne user would try to relate what they're describing to something they already know, whereas and Se user would describe it how it how it appears to be.

what the hell is an ennagram 6 lol. I dunno I seem to think i'm INTP because I'm actually in my head alot... usually thats what an INTP basically is, someone who thinks to himself alot. But truth is i really enjoy being in the moment.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

give me an example of the describing aspect of an "N" or "s"

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Would you rather be working on an engine or a theory as a hobby?

engine = ISTP
theory = INTP

ISTP have mechanical magic
INTP have abstract theory language

both can be as complex as anything.

Being in the moment
This is SP orientation

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There's a fairly good chance that you're an S, if you weren't, I doubt that you'd need this example (in fact, I was convinced I already gave you one, lol). Say you're looking at a table, you see that it has curves:

1. If you're a Sensor, you might look to your past experiences, seeing curves somewhere, it reminds you of how the feel, how the shadows bounce off of it, and you understand the curves in that wood using what your senses have already gathered.

2. An Intuitive on the other hand, would relate the curve to what they've gathered theoretically about it. The curve should be fashioned in such a way, it's shadows might do this or that, they reference their understanding back to the theoretical knowledge of what a curve is, rather than what they have seen it to be.

So when gathering data, a sensor will gather practical, concrete data about the object in question (eg. the car was yellow). An intuitive would look for patterns to form a theory in which to understand what they are looking at (eg. not very many cars are yellow).

jixmixfix

Permabanned
There's a fairly good chance that you're an S, if you weren't, I doubt that you'd need this example (in fact, I was convinced I already gave you one, lol). Say you're looking at a table, you see that it has curves:

1. If you're a Sensor, you might look to your past experiences, seeing curves somewhere, it reminds you of how the feel, how the shadows bounce off of it, and you understand the curves in that wood using what your senses have already gathered.

2. An Intuitive on the other hand, would relate the curve to what they've gathered theoretically about it. The curve should be fashioned in such a way, it's shadows might do this or that, they reference their understanding back to the theoretical knowledge of what a curve is, rather than what they have seen it to be.

So when gathering data, a sensor will gather practical, concrete data about the object in question (eg. the car was yellow). An intuitive would look for patterns to form a theory in which to understand what they are looking at (eg. not very many cars are yellow).

I do tend to think theoretically like that but only when it relates to something practical...hmm I think I know where this is going..

jixmixfix

Permabanned
Would you rather be working on an engine or a theory as a hobby?

engine = ISTP
theory = INTP

ISTP have mechanical magic
INTP have abstract theory language

both can be as complex as anything.

This is SP orientation

yeah i know the basics problem is there are times where i'm actually not in the moment and in my head alot... and then there are times where I'm in the moment.

jixmixfix

Permabanned

maybe I think I'm an N because I spend alot of time in my life thinking about theory is relating to something practical in my life...