• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interested in External Perspectives

Engler

MBTI Type
Enneagram
N/A
After first learning about MBTI 11 months ago, I have spent an excessive amount of time studying every facet of it, not because I've been particularly interested in pseudo-self-awareness, but because I find classification systems fascinating (mainly because of the associated statistics).

However, despite the fact that I care very little about actually establishing my type, it would only be natural that, because I have been studying the MBTI theory so extensively, I would like to apply the system to myself.

So, in an effort to accomplish this, I have taken a myriad of tests. Surely enough, on nearly every test, I have scored as an INTP.

Even so, I must be honest; I idealize Introversion, iNtuition, Thinking, and---you guessed it---Perceiving.

For this reason, I feel that I cannot properly take subjective tests, as I am automatically inclined to choose the traits that I prefer, rather than the traits that I may actually possess.

Thus, I am interested in seeing how others perceive me. Granted, I have an extremely limited number of posts here at Typology Central, and so, to assist you in providing a perspective, I will attempt to provide information that supports each of my potential traits:

Introversion: I enjoy solitude, as it allows me to think more efficiently. Furthermore, I am a socially anxious individual, to the extent that social interaction with unfamiliar people is...painful, to say the least.

Extroversion: However, I do not necessarily gain energy from being alone; in fact, if I was to spend the day socializing, rather than in solitude, I would not experience a significant increase or decrease in my energy level. Also, if I am comfortable with those present, I can be very expressive and outgoing.

iNtuition: I approach the world from a primarily distant standpoint; I do not feel one with my environment, and I instinctively tune out external stimuli. I understand things very holistically, and often baffle others with my long-range perspective. Furthermore, my philosophical inclinations are quite unconventional. Also, if a problem needs to be solved, I can instantly produce multiple ways in which to solve it.

Sensing: However, there are certain sensory experiences that I enjoy deeply. The frigid air of winter, the soothing warmth of a crackling fire, the smell of a woman's freshly washed hair. These experiences not only induce a feeling of comfort, but they also call forth a plethora of memories. Furthermore, as long as a discussion is about a topic of interest, I am perfectly fine with speaking concretely (though, to be honest, I do greatly prefer abstract conversation).

Thinking: As soon as I have gathered new data, I immediately analyze it, and explore it as thoroughly as possible, so as to understand it in its entirety. My whole thought process is so logically oriented, that I often disregard my own emotions entirely. I have been described as cold and heartless by others, and have been entirely unaffected by their claims. Furthermore, I love to debate, and can generally produce a counterargument when needed. Also, I do not go out of my way to help others, and am very forgetful when it comes to fulfilling the needs of those who are in my care.

Feeling: However, I am extremely empathetic; that is, if I am well acquainted with another individual's emotions, I feel a sense of unity between us. Also, people routinely come to me with advice, especially that which pertains to relationships. Interestingly enough, I have never been within an intimate relationship with another person. Nevertheless, I am very good at evaluating their situation, and providing them with the advice they need.

Perceiving: To put it bluntly, I am extraordinarily disorganized and messy. I simply lack the motivation to alter my current state, because I am not at all bothered by it. Also, I am very open-minded, and am thus willing to consider radical perspectives, regardless of how far-fetched they may seem.

Judging: However, I do these things out of habit. And, though it pains me to admit it, my life is very predictable. I engage in the same activities at about the same time each day, and do not necessarily feel inclined to alter my external habits. It is only my internal world that is always changing, and always interested in novelty. Also, it seems as though when dealing with concrete matters, I am very decisive, but when dealing with abstract matters, I am very indecisive.

-----------------------------------

I thank you if you managed to read all of that, and I look forward to your responses.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even so, I must be honest; I idealize Introversion, iNtuition, Thinking, and---you guessed it---Perceiving.

For this reason, I feel that I cannot properly take subjective tests,
as I am automatically inclined to choose the traits that I prefer, rather than the traits that I may actually possess

I'd argue that in a battle of objectivity a P would probably win out over a J. Ps, especially NTPs, seem compelled to suss out some kind of "ultimate truth" whereas a J might be more content with an effectual one in the case of the TJs, or the one that seems the most correct to them in the case of the FJs.

But I digress.

You sound like an INTP (strong N, T probable for the systems preference and you dont sound like a J), so the test was probably correct. In the thread on mistyped forum members, entropie very wisely pointed out that self-tests are generally just useful ways to systematize and express traits you already have. Some overlap is possible, but by and large theres one type that will ring true. If nothing else most types are pretty well represented here, so you can hang out and see who reminds you the most of yourself.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're an INTP.

Jung theorizes that each person has two dominant personality drives, one "Perceiving function" responsible for taking in information (this is either S or N) and one "Judging function" responsible for making decisions with it (this is either T or F.)

He also says that one of these drives will be directed primarily outward at the external world, and that the other will be directed inwardly, tending to govern one's private thoughts and internal perspective.

The fundamental difference between xxxP and xxxJ types is which of these two functions is extroverted and which is introverted.

P types are Perceivers because they extrovert the Perceiving function, meaning they are interested in external perspectives and finding new interpretations in the outer world (this is called Ne, or extroverted iNtuition.) You appear outwardly flexible, spontaneous and unscheduled.

So your other primary function, Thinking, must consequently be directed inwardly, in the form of organizing and evaluating all data according to an objective, impersonal standard that seeks absolute truth. Thus, you direct your decisive, organizational drive inwardly in the form of Ti (introverted Thinking.) Inside, you are calculated, organized, and meticulously analytical.

In other words, yeah, you're an INTP. You give Ti top priority and Ne second, and the emphasis on the introverted function is what makes you appear introverted.

My type, ENTP, is almost the same--being P types as well, we direct our organizational vs. curious drives similarly, but we place more emphasis on the extroverted function Ne, backed by secondary Ti...thus, ENTPs are functionally like you but with our priorities inverted.

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't have anything important to add except that I enjoyed reading your OP. :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
After first learning about MBTI 11 months ago, I have spent an excessive amount of time studying every facet of it, not because I've been particularly interested in pseudo-self-awareness, but because I find classification systems fascinating (mainly because of the associated statistics).

However, despite the fact that I care very little about actually establishing my type, it would only be natural that, because I have been studying the MBTI theory so extensively, I would like to apply the system to myself.

So, in an effort to accomplish this, I have taken a myriad of tests. Surely enough, on nearly every test, I have scored as an INTP.

For this reason, I feel that I cannot properly take subjective tests, as I am automatically inclined to choose the traits that I prefer, rather than the traits that I may actually possess.

Thus, I am interested in seeing how others perceive me. Granted, I have an extremely limited number of posts here at Typology Central, and so, to assist you in providing a perspective, I will attempt to provide information that supports each of my potential traits:

Introversion: I enjoy solitude, as it allows me to think more efficiently. Furthermore, I am a socially anxious individual, to the extent that social interaction with unfamiliar people is...painful, to say the least.

Extroversion: However, I do not necessarily gain energy from being alone; in fact, if I was to spend the day socializing, rather than in solitude, I would not experience a significant increase or decrease in my energy level. Also, if I am comfortable with those present, I can be very expressive and outgoing.

iNtuition: I approach the world from a primarily distant standpoint; I do not feel one with my environment, and I instinctively tune out external stimuli. I understand things very holistically, and often baffle others with my long-range perspective. Furthermore, my philosophical inclinations are quite unconventional. Also, if a problem needs to be solved, I can instantly produce multiple ways in which to solve it.

Sensing: However, there are certain sensory experiences that I enjoy deeply. The frigid air of winter, the soothing warmth of a crackling fire, the smell of a woman's freshly washed hair. These experiences not only induce a feeling of comfort, but they also call forth a plethora of memories. Furthermore, as long as a discussion is about a topic of interest, I am perfectly fine with speaking concretely (though, to be honest, I do greatly prefer abstract conversation).

Thinking: As soon as I have gathered new data, I immediately analyze it, and explore it as thoroughly as possible, so as to understand it in its entirety. My whole thought process is so logically oriented, that I often disregard my own emotions entirely. I have been described as cold and heartless by others, and have been entirely unaffected by their claims. Furthermore, I love to debate, and can generally produce a counterargument when needed. Also, I do not go out of my way to help others, and am very forgetful when it comes to fulfilling the needs of those who are in my care.

Feeling: However, I am extremely empathetic; that is, if I am well acquainted with another individual's emotions, I feel a sense of unity between us. Also, people routinely come to me with advice, especially that which pertains to relationships. Interestingly enough, I have never been within an intimate relationship with another person. Nevertheless, I am very good at evaluating their situation, and providing them with the advice they need.

Perceiving: To put it bluntly, I am extraordinarily disorganized and messy. I simply lack the motivation to alter my current state, because I am not at all bothered by it. Also, I am very open-minded, and am thus willing to consider radical perspectives, regardless of how far-fetched they may seem.

Judging: However, I do these things out of habit. And, though it pains me to admit it, my life is very predictable. I engage in the same activities at about the same time each day, and do not necessarily feel inclined to alter my external habits. It is only my internal world that is always changing, and always interested in novelty. Also, it seems as though when dealing with concrete matters, I am very decisive, but when dealing with abstract matters, I am very indecisive.

-----------------------------------

I thank you if you managed to read all of that, and I look forward to your responses.

well, have you looked to your first two functions to help guide you in your diagnosis?

you sound intp to me, because i know a young man who is intp. he loves novelty and weirdness. weird people are especially fun for him--to watch, talk to, and even debate with (if he gets that lucky). the bolded is def 'p' and i know lots of 'p' people who have predictable habits.

but i digress. if you are intp, your first two functions should be: Ti and Ne. by your description of seeing "numerous solutions" easily show strong Ne, the brainstorming function. How about your Ti? Ti has these traits:

-organize date into logical framework
-seek data to fill 'holes' in my models
-use inner understanding of how ideas fit together to help me understand how things work
-i modify models and frameworks to accomodate new data
-i seek precision in the use of words and in my internal models
-i logically prioritize categories and components of models in terms of need of a situation
-i resturcture my priorities based on connections between categories
-i make decisions based on my category priorities
-i seek logical consistency in my life
-i use precise language to try to get the world to understand logical conceptual models

score these 1 to 5, 1 being the least comfortable, 5 being the most. if Ti is your primary function, you should be 4s and 5s on these.

if you are intj, your primary functions are a totally different thing: Ni and Te. roughly, Ni sees patterns and possibilities, and Te is a multitasker organizer-delegator function.

that was fun! :coffee: