User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Personal anecdote: Our one son is the only Extrovert in our family. Some of us are strong introverts. We automatically tried to imprint a more introverted behavior pattern on him... and it almost ruined him... his freewheeling beauty and gregariousness disappeared, he became very depressed (this is at 6 years old) and withdrawn, etc., and we had to back off and give him more opportunity to be loud and play around and experiment and get into things... and it all came back after a few months.... but it was amazing how forcing him to operate like an introvert really affected him. it was worth for us to try to figure out how to deal with the headaches and lack of as much control in order to see him dazzling as a star and being himself again.
    This is what happened with my brother also. He tested ESFP I was like him an ESFP. He is quite depressed, can't approach others etc. I actually have more people skills then he does, but I can see his ESFP behavior when he was a baby. He was always laughing and smiling, but after so many what are you smiling at whenever my dad was in one of his continuous moods. He grew up having a somewhat glummy outlook on life. I don't see him changing anytime in the future as long as he hangs out with our dad. I know my dad did the best he could, but sometimes we just have to try to break the ties that bind.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    When growing up, I was really energetic, domineering and leading others. Maybe not so much that it would make me an E but still very different from what I am now. And I was definitely more S but that could be about being surrounded by S's. There's always been this mentality of quiet invisible children in my family too. My family has always kept to themselves. Very little socializing and only with close relatives. And emotional coldness was definitely prevalent. So I can definitely relate to the underdeveloped social skills.
    My father (ISTJ) has always been the "authority" in the family. Not very vocal about it and not forcing others to obey, but there was always this silent understanding that he's the boss around the house when I was growing up. Any attempt to express my opinions or hopes and dreams were simply brushed off as being insignificant by all the members of my family. I have been very, very introverted since my early teens. Sure, this can be explained by hitting puberty and teenage social anxiety. But I was definitely less introverted as a child and more easy going.

Maybe it's not so much about changing type but would upbringing influence the strength of preferences?

Edit: I'm a slow typer. Sorry to repeat some things already said in previous posts.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

Phantonym

Right back at you, Eiddy

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I noticed that my father always tried to make me more I and T. My mother, on the other hand, always wanted me to stay the way I really was because she thought that the E+F combo was cute. So that could indeed be the reason why my E and my F are les developped than my N and P.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kar View Post
    I noticed that my father always tried to make me more I and T. My mother, on the other hand, always wanted me to stay the way I really was because she thought that the E+F combo was cute. So that could indeed be the reason why my E and my F are less developed than my N and P.
    I know it is hard, but this makes me smile, because I can so relate. My dad put me on an all boy's baseball team when I was in 4th grade, plus take me fishing just like a boy. In some ways he seemed to raise me as a boy. lol Isn't it weird how parents seem to try to change us? Now I have to wonder if I somehow do the same with my own kids.
    Johari / Nohari

Independent Director

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Eiddy View Post
    My dad put me on an all boy's baseball team when I was in 4th grade, plus take me fishing just like a boy. In some ways he seemed to raise me as a boy. lol Isn't it weird how parents seem to try to change us?
    My dad wanted me to wear boys clothes. Whenever we went to a fashion store, he dragged me over to the boys departement and when I mentionned that I wanted to wear girls clothes because I wasn't a boy, he always sighed and said to me: "BUT THOSE CLOTHES LOOK WAY BETTER, DON'T YOU SEE?! IT'S NOT SO GOD DAMN PINKY AD ALL OF THOSE GIRLY CLOTHES!!! WHAT DO YOU WANT TO BECOME?! A BARBIE?!"
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

I also grew up pretty much in boys clothes. I guess I was naturally tomboyish. My mom tried to put me in those frilly white dresses, with bobby socks and white plastic type of shoes. I think you remember those, right? But since I spent most of my life hanging upside down, playing with ants in streams, and running around. She put me in overalls. It didn't bother me, I guess I am still kind of the same. I look out of place with a skirt. Now makeup and hoops that's another story.

My daughter loves dressing like a girl and I guess I am somehow the same way with her. If I let her dress like that then she should sit prim and proper. I tell her to put something more practical on if we go someplace. She is so pretty and naturally grabs male attention. I don't believe in potato sacks. lol I guess that is way I said I have to wonder about somethings I do with my own kids.

Kind of scary the way we pass on qualities to our own kids, even if we didn't like it growing up. Hmm...
    Johari / Nohari

Independent Director

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Couldn't it be that type is dependent on both a person's nature as well as the way they were nurtured?

There are different ways that people naturally react to stimuli, and there are ways that growing up differently would have changed your outlook of the world, as well as the way you solve problems. The social side of someone is brought on by what they observe.

On the other hand, there are innate things humans do because of evolutionary instincts and hormones.

I didn't think about my post very much when I typed it. It just came to my head all of the sudden, so if you can't understand what I'm saying... whatever.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Oom View Post
    Couldn't it be that type is dependent on both a person's nature as well as the way they were nurtured?

There are different ways that people naturally react to stimuli, and there are ways that growing up differently would have changed your outlook of the world, as well as the way you solve problems. The social side of someone is brought on by what they observe.

On the other hand, there are innate things humans do because of evolutionary instincts and hormones.

I didn't think about my post very much when I typed it. It just came to my head all of the sudden, so if you can't understand what I'm saying... whatever.
    Exactly that is what I was wondering if our personality could have been stifled as a child, is it possible that we are all something other than what we think we are.
    Johari / Nohari

Independent Director

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes. My primary authority figure attempted to make me more E and J. Thus, I do have some E and J tendencies, though I'm really an IP. I think it's stressful to force a child to be something they're not. On one hand it's good to have balance and learn new skills, and some of those skills might be necessary skills for making it in the world, but on the other hand, it's wrong to try to completely change a person and not accept them for who they are. Especially if they are a child in your care. It can cause ISSUES later in life. Thankfully in my case I was sensible enough to seek therapy and am fairly in touch with myself at this point in my life.