User Tag List

First 4567 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 62

  1. #51
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    But...belonging to the military and wanting to be a police officer involves a great deal of conformity, and occasionally following rules that you may not fully agree with. While you may disdain other types of conformity - say with fashion, politics, or religion - you clearly have no problem dealing with it in your professional life, and in fact aspire to have more of it in your life.

    No, I say SJ.

  2. #52
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ That one chick with the funny K-name is an ENFP in the military. It happens.

    Also, ISTJs are not nearly as big conformists as any of their SJ brethren. Typically the most conformist thing they do is obsess over their careers/future financial security. They often really don't give a shit about being overtly social or emotionally supportive or other things that Fe tells SFJs they *should* be doing. (As for ESTJs, they tend to feel that it's their responsibility to be social because they enjoy being around people and see how sociability offers many ways to further their own goals.)

    ISTJs conform in their own way, but it's more in terms of following the rules because that's the safest, most predictable, known way to go--it's not that they mindlessly follow rules like sheep, just that the potential consequences of breaking them are typically very intimidating. Many ISTJs are, in fact, quite cynical, and may easily recognize the pointlessness of various arbitrary rules, but simply choose not to risk breaking them because the results would be unpredictable, uncontrollable, not studied or planned ahead of time...dangerous.

    Si doesn't make people respect all societal traditions on principle; it's really just the attitude that, in most cases, it's much better to play by the book and go with what you know from experience to be safe and effective.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #53
    Senior Member NewEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    I
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Also, ISTJs are not nearly as big conformists as any of their SJ brethren. Typically the most conformist thing they do is obsess over their careers/future financial security. They often really don't give a shit about being overtly social or emotionally supportive or other things that Fe tells SFJs they *should* be doing. (As for ESTJs, they tend to feel that it's their responsibility to be social because they enjoy being around people and see how sociability offers many ways to further their own goals.)
    Agreed 100%, very well said. I'm pretty anti-community and usually pursue my own interests, unlike the usual behavior of the other SJs.

  4. #54
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post


    I guess I will have to settle on Sj; perhaps just not your usual, cliched type...
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm an ENfp with a lot of T and J qualities - I'm sure it can go the other way as well.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  5. #55
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ That one chick with the funny K-name is an ENFP in the military. It happens.

    Also, ISTJs are not nearly as big conformists as any of their SJ brethren. Typically the most conformist thing they do is obsess over their careers/future financial security. They often really don't give a shit about being overtly social or emotionally supportive or other things that Fe tells SFJs they *should* be doing. (As for ESTJs, they tend to feel that it's their responsibility to be social because they enjoy being around people and see how sociability offers many ways to further their own goals.)

    ISTJs conform in their own way, but it's more in terms of following the rules because that's the safest, most predictable, known way to go--it's not that they mindlessly follow rules like sheep, just that the potential consequences of breaking them are typically very intimidating. Many ISTJs are, in fact, quite cynical, and may easily recognize the pointlessness of various arbitrary rules, but simply choose not to risk breaking them because the results would be unpredictable, uncontrollable, not studied or planned ahead of time...dangerous.

    Si doesn't make people respect all societal traditions on principle; it's really just the attitude that, in most cases, it's much better to play by the book and go with what you know from experience to be safe and effective.
    I would say that was very accurate from my lifetime experience around many people who I believe are ISTJ.
    And also what you say about Si. In fact, I believe SJ corresponds to the behavior set the FIRO test calls "the Rebel" (Leo Ryan's interpretation takes a bit more negative view of the behavior groups, almost similar to Enneagram sometimes). Their concrete need for familiarity causes them to rebel when someone forces them into the unknown, or gets too abstract.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  6. #56
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    I would say that was very accurate from my lifetime experience around many people who I believe are ISTJ.
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    And also what you say about Si. In fact, I believe SJ corresponds to the behavior set the FIRO test calls "the Rebel" (Leo Ryan's interpretation takes a bit more negative view of the behavior groups, almost similar to Enneagram sometimes). Their concrete need for familiarity causes them to rebel when someone forces them into the unknown, or gets too abstract.
    Well, yeah, but any type will rebel when put into uncomfortable situations that require exercising too many weaker functions.

    ENFPs are all about rebellion when they feel that bureaucracy is unfairly stifling their expressive freedom. It goes both ways.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  7. #57
    Senior Member Nonsensical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    4,010

    Default

    Myers Briggs types are simply preferences, remember that. You can have two completely different ISTJs. It's how you prefer to be, not how you are, and the functions and types are way overrated and mistaken to be greater than they really are.

    On the other hand, I don't think you are an ISTJ. You could be, maybe I don't know ISTJs too well, but my guts been telling me you're an ISTP for as long as I've known you on here.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Posts
    52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    I consistently test ISTJ, trying to be as honest as I can on any given test (including one like 10 minutes ago). I've tested a dozen times and it's always ISTJ.

    *I dislike conformity. It bothers me.
    *I hate stupid rules
    *I'm irritated by people who follow and enforce stupid rules and that think everyone should be/act a certain way
    *I can be pretty lazy and un-dutiful. If I can't see a direct, positive result in completing a given task, I probably won't do it or I'll slack at it - meaning, I don't preoccupy myself with work and busyness just for the sake of being busy.
    *I'm not a clean-freak... But I'm not a pig.
    *I'm not overly concerned about upholding traditions or at least to the 'T', in fact, a lot of the time, I think it's a little cheesy.
    *I don't use spreadsheets, or a day-timer, or really notes at all for that matter.

    What am I? Just a fucked up ISTJ?
    I can't say whether or not you are an ISTJ, but being as ISTJ myself, I can tell you that those points that you outlined are not qualities that disqualify you as an ISTJ.

    -The conformity thing falls under the stupid rules thing. I have no problem with conformity if it logical to conform, however more often than not there is no logical reason to conform, and to conform would require me to change thus provoking a negative reaction.

    -Quite simply, stupid rules are stupid. I enjoy ridiculing the illogical and sheepish nature of the people who put them in place and enforce them.

    -Anybody who enforces rules that don't make sense is an idiot. There are too many idiots out there and they deserve no better than to be exterminated.

    -Same, I don't like working. However, when I can show off as a result of some kind of project then I work very hard. It's all about the ends really. Generally though, procrastination is my best friend. I think the only exception to my work ethic occurs when I tell somebody I will do something. If I give you my word you can count on me to keep it.

    -Not a clean freak either. Being a clean freak falls under working.

    -Traditions are fine by me if they are rooted in logic. Otherwise, tradition is pointless or in some cases harmful.

    -I do use spreadsheets, but I also tend to work on a lot of things that involve math/data.

  9. #59
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Thanks.
    Well, yeah, but any type will rebel when put into uncomfortable situations that require exercising too many weaker functions.

    ENFPs are all about rebellion when they feel that bureaucracy is unfairly stifling their expressive freedom. It goes both ways.
    My point there was that it might be hard for some to believe that "Rebel" would ever be associated with an SJ "Guardian", but those are the conditions that would lead them to rebel, and FIRO picks up that side of them, while Keirsey/MBTI picks up the faithful-to-the-concrete-institution side of them.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  10. #60
    Junior Member Bunco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ISTj
    Posts
    22

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Myers Briggs types are simply preferences, remember that. You can have two completely different ISTJs. It's how you prefer to be, not how you are, and the functions and types are way overrated and mistaken to be greater than they really are.
    I think this guy nailed it. I agree with absolutely everything in the OP, and yet I've also gotten stuck as an ISTJ on every MBTI test I've taken since I was 13 years old.
    What's interesting is that, as a child and young teenager, I was the stereotypical ISTJ and hated it. I saw the personality type as boring and completely lacking in free thought the ability to have any social skills at all. As a result, I began to completely rework the way I viewed the world, particularly in the I and J areas. Now, given enough energy and the right environment, I am able to see the world from other perspectives. I can force myself to draw energy from being around large groups of people similarly to an E and I almost always act as a P would simply because I find it to be a more interesting lifestyle than my natural J.

    My point is that your MBTI profile isn't the definite you. Personal decisions and experiences can influence your personality and worldview immensely.

Similar Threads

  1. Am I an ISTJ, INTJ or OTHER?
    By LavenderSoda in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2017, 03:09 AM
  2. Why am i an intp? Im not an intp.
    By Liberty in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 01:19 PM
  3. Am I an INTJ, INTP, ISTJ, or ISTP????
    By Trevo4311 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2011, 09:08 PM
  4. Replies: 62
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO