• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP or ISTP?

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Well, I frequently get typed as both. Even my Enneagram(5w6 1st - 5w4 2nd) and Socionics(ILI 1st - SLI 2nd) scores haven't helped me much. I'm not sure what else to post here that would serve of any use but...

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you live for?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Which of these descriptions fits you better?

Quiet and reserved, interested in how and why things work. Excellent skills with mechanical things. Risk-takers who they live for the moment. Usually interested in and talented at extreme sports. Uncomplicated in their desires. Loyal to their peers and to their internal value systems, but not overly concerned with respecting laws and rules if they get in the way of getting something done. Detached and analytical, they excel at finding solutions to practical problems.

Logical, original, creative thinkers. Can become very excited about theories and ideas. Exceptionally capable and driven to turn theories into clear understandings. Highly value knowledge, competence and logic. Quiet and reserved, hard to get to know well. Individualistic, having no interest in leading or following others.

I'm guessing you'll be able to tell pretty easily which type is what- but really think about which description fits you better..
I got these from The Personality Page.

The Sixteen Personality Types - High-Level

A way that helped me figure out I was an ENTP was that I showed some of my friends these descriptions and asked them which one they thought fit me best- everyone picked the ENTP description for me.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Changing past mistakes. Everything stupid that I end up saying I look back on and I hate myself for it.

Wow, apples, that's really harsh. Saying stupid things sucks, but you kind of learn new things from other people's reactions to it. At least I hope so.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Wow, apples, that's really harsh. Saying stupid things sucks, but you kind of learn new things from other people's reactions to it. At least I hope so.

That's just how I see it right then. When I look back at when I say things, I end up analyzing other people's reactions and come to what I should have done then when I was usually(at that time) unphased by anything, and that ends up pounding through the rest of my thoughts.

R

Riva

Changing past mistakes. Everything stupid that I end up saying I look back on and I hate myself for it.

i think this is an ISTP trait.
my Ni says so.:D

why?
even INTP or any other tyoe would hate themselves for saying stupid things.
but if you take the two types ISTP and INTP, an INTP would be least likely of those two types to hate themselves for saying stupid things.
they would analyze it or whatever.:doh:

whereas an ISTP would rather hate themselves for it. and i think this is a significant difference btw ESTPs and ISTPs. ESTPs would deny ANY WRONG DOING to others and even to themselves. whereas ISTP would be a bit more introspective enough to reflect on what they did and think a lot abt it. and alas feel guilty abt it.

INTPs on the other hand would not feel guilty(yes they would but not as much as ISTPs would). since they are so damm awesome they would look at it in the most rational way possible without feeling very guilty abt it.

and would cleverly AVOID such situations again.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ I disagree.

I don't know why but I think it's much easier for ISTP to not care what others think. The reason, I think, is because to an ISTP "What is - is." I find they don't worry about a lot of what can't be observed directly or at that moment. INTP's view is "What is - is...Why is it? How did it become?" This natural curiosity makes us want to know and care what other people think because it's how we gather information.

When you were beating yourself up about saying the 'wrong" thing, was this looping through your head? - "Damn. I could have said 10+ other things that would have been better and perhaps some of those things could have been the complete opposite of what I did say and it still would have been true"

If so...welcome to the snark side. I'd say you're INTP. If not...welcome to the dark side. I'd say you're ISTP. :alttongue:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
It depends on whether you use SeNi more or NeSi more.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
do you ever give off the aura of eggheadedness without care for much else? thats intp

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What about your secondary function:
Ne (INTP) or Se (ISTP)?

Ne: Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change "what is " for "what could possibly be"; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts

Se: Experiencing the immediate context; noticing changes and opportunied for action; being drawn to act on the physical world; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing "what is"