User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    xxxx

Default Musings on my type

Recently, I've been pondering over what my type actually is. I've considered the possibility that I'm an INTP who mistyped themselves as an ISTJ.

Instead of organizing my ideas in a logical and linear format, I'm going to list them as come to mind. A freestyle post, if you will.

My first hint that I had mistyped myself came from the fact that most tests showed my Ti was unusually strong, especially for someone with supposedly a Te preference. It would consistently score in the top 3 for my cognitive processes, sometimes even stronger than Si, the dominant function for ISTJs. In addition to this, I also noted that my Ne was far too strong for a usual ISTJ. (It's the ISTJ inferior function)

While not necessarily proving myself as an INTP, I've also noticed my J preference was rather borderline. I always used to have a motto of "keeping my options open." There are many different ways to attack a problem, so why limit myself to the tried-and-true? "Everyone else has always done it like this" never worked for me as a solution. Even if it worked someone else, they were in different circumstances and there's always a more efficient way of doing things.

From the perspective of the Jungian Cognitive Functions, the main problem to my INTP theory would be my strong Si. If the INTP theory is true, then the Si could be explained though a possible combination of mistaking Ti for Si and overestimating my Si simply because I thought that, as an ISTJ, it should be strong. An INTP still prefers Si over the extroverted form; it simply isn't as strong. As a side note on functions, both ISTJ and INTP have a strong possibility of being Fe-tards.

The next point I probably would mention is the S/N difference. It would tie my post up well, but I don't think I'm going to in include it. I've hinted at my thoughts on S/N already, and dear hope whoever's reading this kept up. Instead, I'm going to finish the the ever unreliable "Key 2 Cognition" test I took just moments ago, the thoughts that I could possibly not be an ISTJ in mind.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.9)
    average use
    introverted Sensing (Si) **************************** (28.9)
    average use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (42.9)
    excellent use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************ (24.4)
    average use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.9)
    good use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************ (48.2)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************* (13.4)
    unused
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************** (22.6)
    limited use
    So now here I am, thinking I possibly mistyped myself. Logically, any behavior of mine on this forum that seems like ISTJ behavior could possibly stem from internal belief I held about my type, regardless of if this belief reflected fact or not. Of course, I could have been right the first time. :/

PS: In retrospect, it probably would have been a good idea to include some story about how I feel about the temperaments of SJ and NT/NP, but I suppose hitting every point is something that gets lost in freestyle writing.

Any thoughts?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

garbage

You seem different than many of the INTPs here. I'd say that the four "unused" functions for a given type are kind of a tossup as to where they fall (see also: my function order) and it's difficult to get them to tell you anything about your type.

You kind of remind me of my ISTJ boss. He's pretty cool.

How good is your memory? Mine really sucks. I blame it on a lack of paying conscious attention to detail. Not sure whether there is a lack of memory associated with a lack of Si (though there are threads on the subject), but it might clue you in to the right direction.

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Well based on the one time I have interacted with you, it had to be amongst the worst interactions encountered thus far on this site for me.

Usually an ST will answer you straight away, without beating around the bush and giving a cold unrelated response. It could be just asking you a question rubs you the wrong way. But with other ISTJ's our interactions usually go along a lot smoother.

It is quite possible that you are intuitive rather than sensing. Blackcat has noted differences amongst the testing and comes out with a completely different type based on the test/s he has used. Maybe you will find him here later or you can ask him to look into this for you as he usually has excellent feedback on this type of discussion.

Also I have noticed that certain MBTI types usually also have similar enneagram types. If you take a good enneagram test compare it to the types you have in mind it can help at least in the process of comparing and contrasting your strong points in relation to others.
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Eiddy View Post
    Well based on the one time I have interacted with you, it had to be amongst the worst interactions encountered thus far on this site for me.
    Sorry about that. I wasn't even aware you weren't enjoying our interaction.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    You seem different than many of the INTPs here. I'd say that the four "unused" functions for a given type are kind of a tossup as to where they fall (see also: my function order) and it's difficult to get them to tell you anything about your type.

You kind of remind me of my ISTJ boss. He's pretty cool.

How good is your memory? Mine really sucks. I blame it on a lack of paying conscious attention to detail. Not sure whether there is a lack of memory associated with a lack of Si (though there are threads on the subject), but it might clue you in to the right direction.
    While my observations also indicate the the four other functions are more of "tossups," you'll notice that Ne is supposed to be the inferior function for an ISTJ, which stood out to me.

Aww. Thanks.

I try to avoid diving into the "aptitude" part of the brain. It's quite dangerous to relate that to MBTI. (Ts are better at being logical, Fs are better at reading emotions, Ns are smart, Ss are practical, and whatnot) However, I will look into that. :/

MBTI
    DEAD
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Sorry about that. I wasn't even aware you weren't enjoying our interaction.
    Darn feeling function. lol

Have you tried reading both profiles on different sites. Here's a good site, I am sure you have seen it, but I will post it here, it may help.

ISTJ

INTP
    Johari / Nohari

Enneagram 1w2/Lifepath 1/first zodiac sign Aries/first Chinese zodiac sign RAT/first born in my siblings of 3. Did I forget to mention first?

Independent Director

MBTI
    I

Your cognitive processes order from that test (Ti > Ne > Te > Si > Se > Ni > Fi > Fe) would indicate INTP. However what you have in your signature (Si = Ti = Te > Fi = Ne = Se > Fe > Ni) indicates more ISTJ. What I suggest is completely forgetting about types for a second, and just taking a cognitive test with more objectiveness, and pretend you don't even know what types are. See what result you get then.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Eiddy View Post
    Darn feeling function. lol

Have you tried reading both profiles on different sites. Here's a good site, I am sure you have seen it, but I will post it here, it may help.

ISTJ

INTP
    Between those two links, I relate to the INTP more. I was quite the evil scientist as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Your cognitive processes order from that test (Ti > Ne > Te > Si > Se > Ni > Fi > Fe) would indicate INTP. However what you have in your signature (Si = Ti = Te > Fi = Ne = Se > Fe > Ni) indicates more ISTJ. What I suggest is completely forgetting about types for a second, and just taking a cognitive test with more objectiveness, and pretend you don't even know what types are. See what result you get then.
    You know of a cognitive test I probably haven't taken? It would make for easier objectivity.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    You know of a cognitive test I probably haven't taken? It would make for easier objectivity.
    Try these if you haven't already (in order):

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/as...velop_old.html

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

Work on them fairly objectively, focusing on your overall impressions, not your mood at the moment.

MBTI
    xxxx

Taken as objectively as I could:

Right now, I'm thinking I've previously mistaken a strong Ti for a strong Si.