• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Musings on my type

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Recently, I've been pondering over what my type actually is. I've considered the possibility that I'm an INTP who mistyped themselves as an ISTJ.

Instead of organizing my ideas in a logical and linear format, I'm going to list them as come to mind. A freestyle post, if you will.

My first hint that I had mistyped myself came from the fact that most tests showed my Ti was unusually strong, especially for someone with supposedly a Te preference. It would consistently score in the top 3 for my cognitive processes, sometimes even stronger than Si, the dominant function for ISTJs. In addition to this, I also noted that my Ne was far too strong for a usual ISTJ. (It's the ISTJ inferior function)

While not necessarily proving myself as an INTP, I've also noticed my J preference was rather borderline. I always used to have a motto of "keeping my options open." There are many different ways to attack a problem, so why limit myself to the tried-and-true? "Everyone else has always done it like this" never worked for me as a solution. Even if it worked someone else, they were in different circumstances and there's always a more efficient way of doing things.

From the perspective of the Jungian Cognitive Functions, the main problem to my INTP theory would be my strong Si. If the INTP theory is true, then the Si could be explained though a possible combination of mistaking Ti for Si and overestimating my Si simply because I thought that, as an ISTJ, it should be strong. An INTP still prefers Si over the extroverted form; it simply isn't as strong. As a side note on functions, both ISTJ and INTP have a strong possibility of being Fe-tards.

The next point I probably would mention is the S/N difference. It would tie my post up well, but I don't think I'm going to in include it. I've hinted at my thoughts on S/N already, and dear hope whoever's reading this kept up. Instead, I'm going to finish the the ever unreliable "Key 2 Cognition" test I took just moments ago, the thoughts that I could possibly not be an ISTJ in mind.

extraverted Sensing (Se) ************************* (25.9)
average use
introverted Sensing (Si) **************************** (28.9)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ****************************************** (42.9)
excellent use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ************************ (24.4)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************* (33.9)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************************ (48.2)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************* (13.4)
unused
introverted Feeling (Fi) ********************** (22.6)
limited use

So now here I am, thinking I possibly mistyped myself. Logically, any behavior of mine on this forum that seems like ISTJ behavior could possibly stem from internal belief I held about my type, regardless of if this belief reflected fact or not. Of course, I could have been right the first time. :/

PS: In retrospect, it probably would have been a good idea to include some story about how I feel about the temperaments of SJ and NT/NP, but I suppose hitting every point is something that gets lost in freestyle writing.

Any thoughts?

G

garbage

You seem different than many of the INTPs here. I'd say that the four "unused" functions for a given type are kind of a tossup as to where they fall (see also: my function order) and it's difficult to get them to tell you anything about your type.

You kind of remind me of my ISTJ boss. He's pretty cool.

How good is your memory? Mine really sucks. I blame it on a lack of paying conscious attention to detail. Not sure whether there is a lack of memory associated with a lack of Si (though there are threads on the subject), but it might clue you in to the right direction.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Well based on the one time I have interacted with you, it had to be amongst the worst interactions encountered thus far on this site for me.

Usually an ST will answer you straight away, without beating around the bush and giving a cold unrelated response. It could be just asking you a question rubs you the wrong way. But with other ISTJ's our interactions usually go along a lot smoother.

It is quite possible that you are intuitive rather than sensing. Blackcat has noted differences amongst the testing and comes out with a completely different type based on the test/s he has used. Maybe you will find him here later or you can ask him to look into this for you as he usually has excellent feedback on this type of discussion.

Also I have noticed that certain MBTI types usually also have similar enneagram types. If you take a good enneagram test compare it to the types you have in mind it can help at least in the process of comparing and contrasting your strong points in relation to others.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Well based on the one time I have interacted with you, it had to be amongst the worst interactions encountered thus far on this site for me.

:hug: Sorry about that. I wasn't even aware you weren't enjoying our interaction.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
You seem different than many of the INTPs here. I'd say that the four "unused" functions for a given type are kind of a tossup as to where they fall (see also: my function order) and it's difficult to get them to tell you anything about your type.

You kind of remind me of my ISTJ boss. He's pretty cool.

How good is your memory? Mine really sucks. I blame it on a lack of paying conscious attention to detail. Not sure whether there is a lack of memory associated with a lack of Si (though there are threads on the subject), but it might clue you in to the right direction.
While my observations also indicate the the four other functions are more of "tossups," you'll notice that Ne is supposed to be the inferior function for an ISTJ, which stood out to me.

Aww. Thanks.

I try to avoid diving into the "aptitude" part of the brain. It's quite dangerous to relate that to MBTI. (Ts are better at being logical, Fs are better at reading emotions, Ns are smart, Ss are practical, and whatnot) However, I will look into that. :/

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
:hug: Sorry about that. I wasn't even aware you weren't enjoying our interaction.

:doh: Darn feeling function. lol

Have you tried reading both profiles on different sites. Here's a good site, I am sure you have seen it, but I will post it here, it may help.

ISTJ

INTP

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Your cognitive processes order from that test (Ti > Ne > Te > Si > Se > Ni > Fi > Fe) would indicate INTP. However what you have in your signature (Si = Ti = Te > Fi = Ne = Se > Fe > Ni) indicates more ISTJ. What I suggest is completely forgetting about types for a second, and just taking a cognitive test with more objectiveness, and pretend you don't even know what types are. See what result you get then.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
:doh: Darn feeling function. lol

Have you tried reading both profiles on different sites. Here's a good site, I am sure you have seen it, but I will post it here, it may help.

ISTJ

INTP

Between those two links, I relate to the INTP more. I was quite the evil scientist as a child. :devil:

Your cognitive processes order from that test (Ti > Ne > Te > Si > Se > Ni > Fi > Fe) would indicate INTP. However what you have in your signature (Si = Ti = Te > Fi = Ne = Se > Fe > Ni) indicates more ISTJ. What I suggest is completely forgetting about types for a second, and just taking a cognitive test with more objectiveness, and pretend you don't even know what types are. See what result you get then.
You know of a cognitive test I probably haven't taken? It would make for easier objectivity.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Taken as objectively as I could:
picture6kpa.png

Right now, I'm thinking I've previously mistaken a strong Ti for a strong Si.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Taken as objectively as I could:
picture6kpa.png

Right now, I'm thinking I've previously mistaken a strong Ti for a strong Si.

(Ti) makes sense of the world by apprehending it in terms of effects emerging from a cause, or a harmony of elements. For example, the way a beautifully made desk appears to emerge from a single idea. As an epistemological perspective, Ti leads one to trust only things that you understand first-hand for yourself, preferably through direct, hands-on interaction. You must see for yourself how a given thing or subject makes sense. Knowledge must emerge from the concrete reality itself, not from preconceived categories or criteria, and the search for knowledge must follow wherever logic and the subject matter lead, regardless of how people feel about it. As an ethical perspective, Ti leads you to do what is best for the system regardless of reward or gain or social conventions that define right and wrong behavior. For example, the sense of "natural law" that guides Clint Eastwood to do what needs doing in Old West towns regardless of the law.

(Si) tunes you in to the chaos, unpredictability, and unknowability of the concrete world, leading you to value whatever few signs you can find that have stable meaning. For example, the stripes of tabby cats might hold a particular meaning for you, and you might come to treasure that. As an epistemological perspective, Si leads you to view anything from outside a familiar context as dangerous and untrustworthy. You are in tune with the fact that nearly all possibilities lead to destruction. For example, if you're designing an airplane, nearly all combinations of the variables fail. Of the possible combinations of wingspan, wing placement, wing shape, fuselage shape, and so on, there is only a tiny subset that make an aerodynamically workable plane--and then only if you get a whole lot of other things just right, too. All of life is like that, only much more complicated. We live only in the small islands of the world that we've grown up with and are suited to us. And we can't possibly know why these small islands are relatively safe. As an ethical perspective, Si leads you to protect the integrity of the things and signs that we depend on. This usually takes the form of setting up barriers against the unpredictable. For example, saving for a rainy day (hardships come at unpredictable times) or inspecting buildings for fire safety (so people can trust that "being inside a building" is a sign of safety against the elements). Within these barriers, where all is trustworthy and familiar, we can survive and enjoy what is precious to us--for a while.

so do you think you're intp then? cuz of the Ti and Ne and Si?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
so do you think you're intp then? cuz of the Ti and Ne and Si?
I believe I'm INTP because of the Ti and Ne, not because of the Si. Si is definitely the stomping grounds of the SJs, a group which the INTP theory would cause me to be fairly separate from.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i had been having troubles typing my husband. but functions testing led me in the right direction. He's very Ti=Se pretty much, which is istp. i had no idea. but after reflecting with me on his childhood and how he was in his younger days, he was very much the stereotypical istp. so i think reflecting on how you were in childhood really helps diagnose your type (and i've read this too). but i also think he's not that stereotypically istp anymore. so even though his main functions are 'istp,' life has stepped in and made him almost more istj.....but i usually just say istx.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe I'm INTP because of the Ti and Ne, not because of the Si. Si is definitely the stomping grounds of the SJs, a group which the INTP theory would cause me to be fairly separate from.

well, in my functions of type book, Si is listed as intp's tertiary function.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
i had been having troubles typing my husband. but functions testing led me in the right direction. He's very Ti=Se pretty much, which is istp. i had no idea. but after reflecting with me on his childhood and how he was in his younger days, he was very much the stereotypical istp. so i think reflecting on how you were in childhood really helps diagnose your type (and i've read this too). but i also think he's not that stereotypically istp anymore. so even though his main functions are 'istp,' life has stepped in and made him almost more istj.....but i usually just say istx.
Reflecting back on my childhood is part of what led me to think that I could perhaps be an INTP. My parents joked about how I was an evil genius as child, trying to figure out how things worked and seeing how I could "use" them. :devil:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
well, in my functions of type book, Si is listed as intp's tertiary function.
It is, but making a ruling based on the tertiary function is a little... fuzzy. If Si was my weakest function, there might be a case. However, since it's roughly in the area it should be, I just leave it be and not use it as evidence.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is, but making a ruling based on the tertiary function is a little... fuzzy. If Si was my weakest function, there might be a case. However, since it's roughly in the area it should be, I just leave it be and not use it as evidence.

yes, you sound intp to me. ;)

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I knew you seemed too intellectual for an ISTJ. :)