Help me type my step-dad...
At first I pegged him as ISFP since he is a talented, moody artist. Then I thought he was INFP because of his very abstract speech.
Now I'm on the fence. He is definitely dominant Fi, little question of that.
Here's why I think he could have auxiliary Ne:
- Is a cartoonist / illustrator and creates original characters straight from his imagination. When he shows you his drawings, he will also tell you about a full back story & personality he has created for them, even though it's just a drawing for a t-shirt.
- Doesn't like to draw realistically. Prefers cartoons & is much better at them.
- Even though he is an artist, he has a poor sense of color. He'll often ask my ISFJ mom what color to use in a drawing. He has a very poor style of dress & horrible taste in furniture. However, he recognizes when other people do these things well, such as my mom, and the way things look is important to him.
- Has the INFP verbal diarrhea. Like, what the hell is he talking about 90% of the time? His speech is not linear at all and it's hard to connect the dots to figure out what he's getting at.
-Very, very, very odd sense of humor that makes zero sense to most people. My ISFJ mom gets a kick out of it, but I don't think she is laughing with him, just at him. Scary to say, I can make sense of him more than my mom....
- Is a lot more moralistic than I imagine an SP to be. Can get so enraged over moral issues he can barely talk.
Here's why I think he could have auxiliary Se:
- Has exceptional drawing skills. Can really crank out the drawings.
- Not intellectually inclined like most INFPs seem to be. Does not read much, and when he does, he reads biographies, self help books, and historical non-fiction. Has little interest in theory or the abstract. Thinks poetry is "funny".
- Does not write well at all. Says he is not capable of writing a story (people have told him he should do children's books), even though he creates such detailed characters.
- Loves history, and watches the history channel a lot
- Would much rather watch a kung-fu movie than anything "deep". Likes silly comedies & slapstick humor.
- Even though he is quiet and reserved, people usually find him warm & friendly (especially animals & children). That seems more ISFP than INFP to me. INFPs often mistakenly come off as aloof.