• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISFP or INFP?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Help me type my step-dad...

At first I pegged him as ISFP since he is a talented, moody artist. Then I thought he was INFP because of his very abstract speech.

Now I'm on the fence. He is definitely dominant Fi, little question of that.

Here's why I think he could have auxiliary Ne:
- Is a cartoonist / illustrator and creates original characters straight from his imagination. When he shows you his drawings, he will also tell you about a full back story & personality he has created for them, even though it's just a drawing for a t-shirt.
- Doesn't like to draw realistically. Prefers cartoons & is much better at them.
- Even though he is an artist, he has a poor sense of color. He'll often ask my ISFJ mom what color to use in a drawing. He has a very poor style of dress & horrible taste in furniture. However, he recognizes when other people do these things well, such as my mom, and the way things look is important to him.
- Has the INFP verbal diarrhea. Like, what the hell is he talking about 90% of the time? His speech is not linear at all and it's hard to connect the dots to figure out what he's getting at.
-Very, very, very odd sense of humor that makes zero sense to most people. My ISFJ mom gets a kick out of it, but I don't think she is laughing with him, just at him. Scary to say, I can make sense of him more than my mom....
- Is a lot more moralistic than I imagine an SP to be. Can get so enraged over moral issues he can barely talk.

Here's why I think he could have auxiliary Se:
- Has exceptional drawing skills. Can really crank out the drawings.
- Not intellectually inclined like most INFPs seem to be. Does not read much, and when he does, he reads biographies, self help books, and historical non-fiction. Has little interest in theory or the abstract. Thinks poetry is "funny".
- Does not write well at all. Says he is not capable of writing a story (people have told him he should do children's books), even though he creates such detailed characters.
- Loves history, and watches the history channel a lot
- Would much rather watch a kung-fu movie than anything "deep". Likes silly comedies & slapstick humor.
- Even though he is quiet and reserved, people usually find him warm & friendly (especially animals & children). That seems more ISFP than INFP to me. INFPs often mistakenly come off as aloof.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
INFPs can also be distinguished by an interest in harmony and balance -- vocally. They'll use the words often. ISFPs appreciate independence but have no such similar interest.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He sounds ISFP to me.

wolfy

awsm
I think I would go with ISFP. I can relate to a lot of the list. Stretching it a bit but, ISFP with SFJ seems quite common. I'm married to an ISFJ and there are a few ISFP here with SFJ.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's why I think he could have :
- Thinks poetry is "funny".
- Does not write well at all. Says he is not capable of writing a story (people have told him he should do children's books), even though he creates such detailed characters.

How are these indicators of "auxiliary Se"?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How are these indicators of "auxiliary Se"?

Poetry and writing are not really here-and-now practical things...I suppose it's showing a possible lack of Ne for him, which then leaves Se. ;)
I realize INFPs don't have a monopoly on poetry or writing, but since I am trying to examine what he is, I feel that point generally supported S over N.
Just as I felt poor sense of color may be more N than S, even though personally I, an INFP, have a great sense of color :tongue:.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs can also be distinguished by an interest in harmony and balance -- vocally. They'll use the words often. ISFPs appreciate independence but have no such similar interest.

He's a quiet guy. I don't think I've ever heard him talk about "harmony".
I might add he has been religious on and off throughout his life. Right now he is on. When he is on, he is very into it.

I think I'm leaning towards ISFP again for him too. I actually relate to him in a lot of ways, and I guess that's why I thought INFP for a bit.

I think I would go with ISFP. I can relate to a lot of the list. Stretching it a bit but, ISFP with SFJ seems quite common. I'm married to an ISFJ and there are a few ISFP here with SFJ.

Their marriage has been very, very rocky, with different communication styles a big part of it. I also thought that maybe it was an N/S conflict, but it may be more of a Fe/Fi thing. It may also be cultural...he comes from an Asian/Island culture and my mom has a Latin background.

wolfy

awsm
The abstract speech pattern throws a spanner in the works. The behaviour seems ISFP but the thinking INFP. Maybe you could get a clear distinction by looking at the tertiary function?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sounds like a pretty sure INFP, based on the information given.

Ns can learn artistry to a very high degree by basically forming a big picture of the whole thing and then imitating the natural abilities of their S counterparts. There are lots of ways to learn to be good at anything; you can take a variety of perspectives and still get there.

He has a couple of odd S traits, but who doesn't? The description you've given is overwhelmingly INFP, so as long as you've represented both sides fairly that'd be my guess.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Yeah, wolfy, that's where I keep getting stuck. His way of talking can be out there. Although maybe it is because he is more physically oriented...maybe an INFP would actually be more articulate.

I'm not good at spotting tertiary functions in other people.
I see obvious signs of Si in myself, but I don't see it in him. I don't particularly see evidence of Ni either though.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't MBTI about how you think, not how you act? If he acts like an ISFP, but thinks like an INFP that would make him and INFP?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Isn't MBTI about how you think, not how you act? If he acts like an ISFP, but thinks like an INFP that would make him and INFP?

Well I cannot know for sure how he thinks. I can only go by what he says and does.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that's true, but I remember reading somewhere in this thread that he acts like an ISFP and thinks like an INFP...

Well, according to socionics, your auxiliary function is your creative function. His art seems to be less grounded by reality, wouldn't an Se user draw what they see and observe in the real world?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
that's true, but I remember reading somewhere in this thread that he acts like an ISFP and thinks like an INFP...

Well, according to socionics, your auxiliary function is your creative function. His art seems to be less grounded by reality, wouldn't an Se user draw what they see and observe in the real world?

Well, I would say he speaks like an INFP.

A Se person would be more likely to draw realistically, as I pointed out. That's why I put his drawing style in favor of Ne.

However, I've also thought about how his characters show their personality. It's very literal. If a character likes music, then he has a boombox or something (whereas, when I draw, I may draw people realistically, but they are maybe symbolizing a concept as opposed to creating a character). So even though he draws cartoons, he could definitely still be Se.

wolfy

awsm
Here's why I think he could have auxiliary Ne:
- Is a cartoonist / illustrator and creates original characters straight from his imagination. When he shows you his drawings, he will also tell you about a full back story & personality he has created for them, even though it's just a drawing for a t-shirt.
- Has the INFP verbal diarrhea. Like, what the hell is he talking about 90% of the time? His speech is not linear at all and it's hard to connect the dots to figure out what he's getting at.
-Very, very, very odd sense of humor that makes zero sense to most people. My ISFJ mom gets a kick out of it, but I don't think she is laughing with him, just at him. Scary to say, I can make sense of him more than my mom....

Here's why I think he could have auxiliary Se:
- Not intellectually inclined like most INFPs seem to be. Does not read much, and when he does, he reads biographies, self help books, and historical non-fiction. Has little interest in theory or the abstract.

These are the things that I think strongly reflect Se or Ne. There are more Ne than Se. I therefore tentatively say INFP. The Se one could be just explained by him being male.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Argh! Just when I thought I was coming close to a conclusion. Maybe I can get him to take a test....I see him falling asleep in the middle of it or asking my mom to do it for him :D

wolfy

awsm
Argh! Just when I thought I was coming close to a conclusion. Maybe I can get him to take a test....I see him falling asleep in the middle of it or asking my mom to do it for him :D

Yeah, I'm not helping by changing my mind. What does your gut say?

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well I originally thought ISFP, but then I had a bit of an "aha!" moment and decided he was an INFP. I suppose my gut says INFP then.

wolfy

awsm
The thing that makes me think Ne the most is building the characters worlds in his head.
This is anecdotal but I do that kind of thing, but I get bits of information here and there pop in my mind and have to pull them out to sort through and make something of them. I can't do it all in my head. I need to build a framework outside of myself to hang everything off.

There always needs to be a feedback loop with the external world in some way.