User Tag List

Thread: maybe a problem

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Default maybe a problem

I've recently been considering the possibility that I might be an ISTP rather than an ISTJ. I score very closely with these two on the online free tests. After reading the type descriptions, it seems that I fit both--one of the things MBTI has trouble with. So who can tell me the biggest and most critical differences between ISTJ and ISTP? And what are they? The few of you who know me can share your thoughts.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

I don't know you so well. Have you done a cognitive functions test? That could help.

deleted

Which one seems a lot more uncomfortable to you. Fi or Ni? Because ISTPs typically gain comfort from Ni more, and ISTJs typically gain comfort from Fi more.

Introverted Feeling

Introverted Intuiting

If you can make a decision on this question, then it's pretty much settled.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I know heaps of them (I think). At first I typed all of them as ISTJ, I showed one a description, and they were quite impressed by the accuracy. Then I started to realize a few differences between some, and determined that one of them was ISTP. I've now got somewhat of an idea of the difference. Both types are incredibly clever, I haven't seen one that isn't. As far as I can tell, ISTPs lean more towards aggression, mechanical work and tools, and intently dislike pointless knowledge. They prefer to deduce knowledge from logic. ISTJs are rather less aggressive, when they get into a car, they are less likely to try to do burnouts and crazy shit (ISTPs can be quite serious drivers when they choose to be though). ISTJs will pillage through mathematics using set concrete methods that they have memorized, if you get them to check your work, they will be the first ones to notice your mistake, an ISTP probably wouldn't bother checking your work, if they did, maybe they could find your error, but they are less 'picky' when it comes to detail. I could probably add a bit more, but I must sleep now
    5 3 9

MBTI
    I

Haha, the pattern of ISTJ's thinking they're ISTP's continues.

In my opinion, Take Five, you are ISTJ. Just look at your cognitive function order (in your signature):
    "Si>Te>Fi>Ti>Se
    the rest are broken"

^^That's exactly like mine. Plus reading your posts reminds me of myself, and I'm ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    I know heaps of them (I think). At first I typed all of them as ISTJ, I showed one a description, and they were quite impressed by the accuracy. Then I started to realize a few differences between some, and determined that one of them was ISTP. I've now got somewhat of an idea of the difference. Both types are incredibly clever, I haven't seen one that isn't. As far as I can tell, ISTPs lean more towards aggression, mechanical work and tools, and intently dislike pointless knowledge. They prefer to deduce knowledge from logic. ISTJs are rather less aggressive, when they get into a car, they are less likely to try to do burnouts and crazy shit (ISTPs can be quite serious drivers when they choose to be though). ISTJs will pillage through mathematics using set concrete methods that they have memorized, if you get them to check your work, they will be the first ones to notice your mistake, an ISTP probably wouldn't bother checking your work, if they did, maybe they could find your error, but they are less 'picky' when it comes to detail. I could probably add a bit more, but I must sleep now
    Did they both find the cheese at the end of the maze?

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Haha, the pattern of ISTJ's thinking they're ISTP's continues.

In my opinion, Take Five, you are ISTJ. Just look at your cognitive function order (in your signature):
    Si>Te>Fi>Ti>Se
    the rest are broken.

^^That's exactly like mine. Plus reading your posts reminds me of myself, and I'm ISTJ.
    Yeah I think I would go with the J. I'm an ISTJ that doesn't write lists and likes the physical environment.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Take Five View Post
    Yeah I think I would go with the J. I'm an ISTJ that doesn't write lists and likes the physical environment.
    I know what you mean, I like the outdoors too. Gives me a sense of calm I can't get indoors. If that's what you mean by physical environment.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I know what you mean, I like the outdoors too. Gives me a sense of calm I can't get indoors. If that's what you mean by physical environment.
    I mean both. I just like being aware of everything going on.
    Johari Nohari

MBTI
    I

I mean both. I just like being aware of everything going on.
    Ah okay, gotcha.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Did they both find the cheese at the end of the maze?
    The ISTP is a long long way away, the second ISTP isn't interested in mazes. The ISTJs are too busy working to eat cheeses.

I'd have to say, if you're an ISTP, you would probably work it out pretty quickly (unless you're a really messed up one). Your ISTJness stands
    5 3 9