• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Untyped

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Based on this one and only post I've read (unless I've welcomed you), you seem to agree with a lot of stereotypical SJ tendencies. Your contradictions seem mainly about the "P" side in you. But this could be due to laziness. Most people relate SJ to boring (as do I), which may make you reluctant to choose it. Now, I'm not saying SJ because this is the only post I've seen of yours.

Nothing in your post really relates to I vs E or T vs F, so I don't really have a clue. Plus, I'm too lazy to look through this fairly short thread. :laugh:

Have you looked at the cognitive functions? If not, I'd suggest reading the descriptions of all of them (Si, Se, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe) and seeing which few you relate to most. This is more accurate than just looking at the four letters individually.

Also, I recently came across this very useful post by VangrantFarce that someone linked to here: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ide-double-checking-your-type.html#post933802 You might wanna check that out, too.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Based on this one and only post I've read (unless I've welcomed you), you seem to agree with a lot of stereotypical SJ tendencies. Your contradictions seem mainly about the "P" side in you. But this could be due to laziness. Most people relate SJ to boring (as do I), which may make you reluctant to choose it. Now, I'm not saying SJ because this is the only post I've seen of yours.

Nothing in your post really relates to I vs E or T vs F, so I don't really have a clue. Plus, I'm too lazy to look through this fairly short thread. :laugh:

Have you looked at the cognitive functions? If not, I'd suggest reading the descriptions of all of them (Si, Se, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe) and seeing which few you relate to most. This is more accurate than just looking at the four letters individually.

Also, I recently came across this very useful post by VangrantFarce that someone linked to here: http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...ide-double-checking-your-type.html#post933802 You might wanna check that out, too.

Yeah, I've taken the cognitive functions test and just about every other test. My most common score is INTP, but I get all kinds of results and I KNOW I'm not INTP. I'm not the least bit reluctant to call myself an SJ - it's actually the temperament I've always preferred. I'm just being cautious because 1) I almost always test N and P; and 2) the individual SJ type descriptions don't really fit me. BUT, I definitely identify with Si as a function, and with the orientation of Guardians in general.

/DG/

Yeah, cognitive function tests test strengths, so while the results CAN be your type, they can also be wrong (You may have a strong function that is not your preference, etc). I got INFP the first couple times I took it, which was completely wrong.

Hmm. Well, let's try this first. Which descriptions relate to you the most?

INFORMATION-ACCESSING PROCESSES—Perception

Se - Extraverted Sensing: Experiencing the immediate context; taking action in the physical world; noticing changes and opportunities for action; accumulating experiences; scanning for visible reactions and relevant data; recognizing “what is.” Noticing what was available, trying on different items, and seeing how they look.

Si - Introverted Sensing: Reviewing past experiences; “what is” evoking “what was”; seeking detailed information and links to what is known; recalling stored impressions; accumulating data; recognizing the way things have always been. Remembering the last time you wore a particular item or the last time you were at a similar event—maybe even remembering how you felt then.

Ne - Extraverted iNtuiting: Interpreting situations and relationships; picking up meanings and interconnections; being drawn to change “what is” for “what could possibly be”; noticing what is not said and threads of meaning emerging across multiple contexts. Noticing the possible meanings of what you might wear: “Wearing this might communicate…”
Ni - Introverted iNtuiting: Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing “what will be”; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols. Envisioning yourself in an outfit or maybe envisioning yourself being a certain way.

ORGANIZING-EVALUATING PROCESSES—Judgment

Te - Extraverted Thinking: Segmenting; organizing for efficiency; systematizing; applying logic; structuring; checking for consequences; monitoring for standards or specifications being met; setting boundaries, guidelines, and parameters; deciding if something is working or not. Sorting out different colors and styles; thinking about the consequences, as in “Since I have to stand all day…”

Ti - Introverted Thinking: Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision. Analyzing your options using principles like comfort or “Red is a power color.”

Fe - Extraverted Thinking: Connecting; considering others and the group—organizing to meet their needs and honor their values and feelings; maintaining societal, organizational, or group values; adjusting to and accommodating others; deciding if something is appropriate or acceptable to others. Considering what would be appropriate for the situation: “One should or shouldn’t wear…” or “People will think…”

Fi - Introverted Feeling: Valuing; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for. Evaluating whether you like an outfit or not: “This outfit suits me and feels right.”

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
In this, I relate to Si (though not as much as other Si descriptions), Ti, and Te. In other descriptions, I usually relate a little to Ne as well. Those are usually my top 4 functions, with Si usually ending up #1.

/DG/

Err... I'm not the most helpful at this. If you make a thread in the "What's My Type?" section, more people would answer you.

You say yourself to relate to the thinker processes more, can you explain? When making decisions, do you factor in feelings, or do you decide based on what is "right?"

Also, does socializing energize you, or drain you?

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I'd like the thread to be moved to What's My Type, but I added this post here for continuity's sake - an addition to the original. Kind of some SJ symbolism, I guess. :)

Yeah, socializing drains me - I've pretty much concluded I'm introverted even though there are times when you can't pay me enough to shut up. Given the choice, I'd spend quite a bit of time alone.

The Fe vs. Fi thing has never been clear to me. Objectively, I sometimes think Fi is useless because values without context are untrustworthy*. But I also am terrible at extroverting feeling. I'm just not the world's warmest person. I am 100% loyal to the people I love, and I would do anything to support them, but apparently I fail at empathy.

Hard to explain how I view my judging process. It's not quite Thinking and it's not quite Feeling. It's more like holding an opinion or choosing a side. Then I make a logical argument for that side. It's not necessarily "rational" because opinions are subjective. But it's also not really "emotional" because it's more of a thought process than a feeling process. It's just subjective thinking.

*I'm referring to myself here... obviously not saying Fi is "useless" for everyone.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
What do you think of ISTJ?

Or ESTJ?

Hey brainheart - thanks for joining the party.

I'm pretty sure I'm ISTJ. I'm just kind of auctioning it off before declaring it officially. Kind of the "going once..." stage. I figure I'll keep this open for a couple days, and if nobody can talk me out of thinking I'm ISTJ, I'll consider it official.

You've read some of my other posts - seem to fit with your impression of ISTJ?

/DG/

I really should be going. Hopefully I'll have time to post more tomorrow. :p

Oh and btw, ISTJ seems to fit so far.

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
You don't sound INTJ to me.

ISTJ seems to fit. That's what my Ni says anyway ;)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah yes, of course: ISTJ. With the conformity thing...

That's about the best/most concise description of functional differences I've seen, DG.

Ni - "what will be"
Ne - "what might be"

Si - "what was"
Se - "what is"

Ti - what it is
Te - how to use it

Fi - how it feels
Fe - how it makes others feel

No wonder the S/N gap is so difficult to bridge. It's not just the well-rehearsed concrete vs abstract focus: we are looking in different directions.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Ah yes, of course: ISTJ. With the conformity thing...

Actually, the conformity thing is another stumbling block, albeit a small one. I know my interests and opinions fit perfectly with the SJ temperament (eg. my theory about the need for conformity). I just want to make sure I'm not tricking myself into believing I am a certain personality type just because my views are in keeping with that type. It doesn't count if I've just done a good job turning myself into an SJ.

Setting aside the actual stance I took on conformity, would you say the way I made my argument was SJish? I still think it probably was: I used a lot of facts (like the civil rights stuff) and something of a building block logic to make my point.

B

brainheart

My ISTJ dad is not a conformist. He can seem incredibly non-conformist, but he sticks to his values/philosophy/ideals no matter what. If you are dominant Si I don't think it's about the group as much as your personal worldview, what with it being an introverted function and all.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
You seem very enfj based on your initial breakdown for the dichotomies

Oh, and if you WERE an Fe dom that might explain a lot of the "societal values" you may attribute to Si

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
Heh... I think I might have to have a little more warmth to be Fe-dom. Plus, I don't really share the idealist temperament.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Setting aside the actual stance I took on conformity, would you say the way I made my argument was SJish? I still think it probably was: I used a lot of facts (like the civil rights stuff) and something of a building block logic to make my point.

I think the fact that you would even pay attention to the way you made your argument probably is...:)

I felt like you were so focused on specific incidents in that thread, that you missed the bigger picture.

Ruthie

MBTI Type
?
I think the fact that you would even pay attention to the way you made your argument probably is...:)

I felt like you were so focused on specific incidents in that thread, that you missed the bigger picture.

:) Funny how different perspectives seem. I thought your argument was very much of the "Everyone knows conformity is bad, all brave people refuse to conform" mold. It seemed that you were very closed off to any alternative argument. Guess we just spent a lot of time talking past each other.