User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 23

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default Is this guy an ENFP, ENTP, or other?

    I have a friend IRL who I think is an ENTP. He's very friendly and talkative and generous. He makes people feel at ease, and he knows how to control his temper when he's annoyed. He seems to have great "people skills" but he's also good at memorizing facts about history, names, dates, etc.

    I don't question the E or the N as much as the T and the P. The only reason I question the P is because he's one of those people who is always on time, even early. But aside from that he's laid back and has very liberal views on life. He's also passionately Libertarian, but as enthusiastic as he gets about it, he's never hateful or condecending in debates. He's capable of tolerating other people's opinions without getting snippy or trying to make them feel stupid.

    But he really likes to give people things, and will be nice to just about anybody (that's not to say that he won't say nasty, critical things about people he doesn't like behind their back). He loves animals, and has a very playful, unique, yet responsible personality.

    I really think he's an ENTP, but I could be wrong. He seems too grounded to be ENFP but also too tolerant and easy going to be an ENTJ.

    Opinions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,785

    Default

    An ENFP will remember names better than an ENTP. Most certainly dates like others birthdays which becomes being good at dates in general due to practice habits. Being early can translate into being exited about whatever they're showing up to. Good social impression too. Not so much done to impress others, but more to impress self by social respect in knowing the others will notice by default.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

  3. #3
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    An ENFP will remember names better than an ENTP. Most certainly dates like others birthdays which becomes being good at dates in general due to practice habits. Being early can translate into being exited about whatever they're showing up to. Good social impression too. Not so much done to impress others, but more to impress self by social respect in knowing the others will notice by default.
    He very well may be an ENFP. I suppose I just thought with him being so punctual and responsible and in control of his emotions (well, at least in control of them until he can get away from an offending person) that if he wasn't a J - which I think he's definitely not - that he was probably a T.

    It very well could be just that he has extremely high Fe and just cares about other people that much that he is responsible and punctual etc. out of social concern. He's not just punctual to social things, though, he told me himself that he's "chronically" 10 - 15 minutes early for things like work and school (he's a full-time college student and a shift manager at his place of employment, which he is strangely very loyal to despite the fact that he doesn't like the work).

    He remembers names and dates from history like reading them out of a book. Maybe it's just because he likes history (it's his major) but I also thought that might make him more NT. I mean, I'm a good student, a very good student actually, but I'm better with things like literary analysis than memorizing facts. I guess I can remember facts though when I'm really interested in something. Maybe he is an ENFP.

  4. #4
    Sugar Hiccup OrangeAppled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni
    Posts
    7,661

    Default

    The names/dates thing sounds more sensory to me overall, but any type could get good at something important to them. I admit this is not my strong suit as an NF, but I don't know if we're all that way....
    I also don't think political affiliations have that much to do with type, honestly.

    Quite honestly, I am hearing ENFJ in this description. I see Fe, and I think you're right to consider him a J. I think you are right to suspect he is too easy going to be an ENTJ, but that could be Fe, not P.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

    INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

  5. #5
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    The names/dates thing sounds more sensory to me overall, but any type could get good at something important to them. I admit this is not my strong suit as an NF, but I don't know if we're all that way....
    I also don't think political affiliations have that much to do with type, honestly.

    Quite honestly, I am hearing ENFJ in this description. I see Fe, and I think you're right to consider him a J. I think you are right to suspect he is too easy going to be an ENTJ, but that could be Fe, not P.
    ENFJ. Why didn't I think of that? Seriously.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rhapsody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    140

    Default

    FWIW, your description of your friend sounds exactly like a female ENTP friend of mine who has well-developed Fe, right down to the part about being Libertarian, loving animals, and enjoying gift-giving (not that those are indicative of type ... although the last of the three might be Fe related).

    Did your friend grow up in a J environment by any chance? My ENTP friend had extremely J parents, and in turn she can be pretty J-like with regards to punctuality, planning, etc. I used to think she was an ENTJ as well.

    Her Ne is usually kept in check, but it comes through when she talks about her fantasies ... things like wanting to strand herself in Europe with no money. Even if his day-to-day life is J-like, does he ever talk about wanting to go on adventures or doing things with absolutely no plan whatsoever?

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    FWIW, your description of your friend sounds exactly like a female ENTP friend of mine who has well-developed Fe, right down to the part about being Libertarian, loving animals, and enjoying gift-giving (not that those are indicative of type ... although the last of the three might be Fe related).

    Did your friend grow up in a J environment by any chance? My ENTP friend had extremely J parents, and in turn she can be pretty J-like with regards to punctuality, planning, etc. I used to think she was an ENTJ as well.

    Her Ne is usually kept in check, but it comes through when she talks about her fantasies ... things like wanting to strand herself in Europe with no money. Even if his day-to-day life is J-like, does he ever talk about wanting to go on adventures or doing things with absolutely no plan whatsoever?
    He does do things sometimes on a whim, and I think he is somewhat adventurous in his free time. More adventurous than some people, but not a dare devil. More like someone who likes to take road trips.

    YES. He grew up in a very J environment. In fact, he and I share a background of very conservative (probably SJ) father figures. It's one of the things I relate to him about, about how we're both different philosophically than the people who raised us.

    I don't think he's an ENTJ, though. Too easy going and tolerant of others beliefs and "nice." ENFJ if any J. Otherwise I'd go with ENTP - that was actually my first guess.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    I haven't read anything that makes me think he couldn't be an ENFP. In fact I get more of a ENFP vibe then ENTP vibe from the first post.

    Until recently, I was always very punctual even when meeting with friends for a night out at a bar or something. I'm a bit more relaxed (:P) lately for someone reason...I think it's because they themselves tend to arrive late. I never arrive late for appointments.

    Anyway my point is that punctuality doesn't make him a J nor is it more relatable to Fe than to Fi (Fi cares too in it's own way; either through empathy or personal value).


    "Being in control of ones emotions" is what any healthy F should be able to do btw. Two friends of mine who I introduced (a while ago) to MBTI both typed me as T because they too drank the misconceptions' kool aid.

    ETA:I'm not saying he is an ENFP. Just saying that it's possible.

  9. #9
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I have a friend IRL who I think is an ENTP. He's very friendly and talkative and generous. He makes people feel at ease, and he knows how to control his temper when he's annoyed. He seems to have great "people skills" but he's also good at memorizing facts about history, names, dates, etc.

    I don't question the E or the N as much as the T and the P. The only reason I question the P is because he's one of those people who is always on time, even early. But aside from that he's laid back and has very liberal views on life. He's also passionately Libertarian, but as enthusiastic as he gets about it, he's never hateful or condecending in debates. He's capable of tolerating other people's opinions without getting snippy or trying to make them feel stupid.

    But he really likes to give people things, and will be nice to just about anybody (that's not to say that he won't say nasty, critical things about people he doesn't like behind their back). He loves animals, and has a very playful, unique, yet responsible personality.

    I really think he's an ENTP, but I could be wrong. He seems too grounded to be ENFP but also too tolerant and easy going to be an ENTJ.

    Opinions?
    Based on the information you've given, he sounds more ESFP than anything else.

    You haven't given much evidence in favor of N or T.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #10
    Senior Member velocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    epic
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Based on the information you've given, he sounds more ESFP than anything else.

    You haven't given much evidence in favor of N or T.

    simulated world: i see esfp people.
    we gotta shake you out of this, mister.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] is this person an ENFP or an ENFJ: (TL:DR - Warning):
    By bundleofsunshine in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2017, 09:29 PM
  2. is this person an ENTP, ENFP or ENFJ (TL:DR warning)
    By bundleofsunshine in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM
  3. is this guy an INFJ or an ENTJ? td:lr
    By misfortuneteller in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-20-2015, 11:42 AM
  4. [MBTItm] Is this person an ENTP or ESTP?
    By Sarah_Williams in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 06:30 PM
  5. [ISFP] Is this guy an ISFP ?
    By sculpting in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 04:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO