• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is this guy an ENFP, ENTP, or other?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a friend IRL who I think is an ENTP. He's very friendly and talkative and generous. He makes people feel at ease, and he knows how to control his temper when he's annoyed. He seems to have great "people skills" but he's also good at memorizing facts about history, names, dates, etc.

I don't question the E or the N as much as the T and the P. The only reason I question the P is because he's one of those people who is always on time, even early. But aside from that he's laid back and has very liberal views on life. He's also passionately Libertarian, but as enthusiastic as he gets about it, he's never hateful or condecending in debates. He's capable of tolerating other people's opinions without getting snippy or trying to make them feel stupid.

But he really likes to give people things, and will be nice to just about anybody (that's not to say that he won't say nasty, critical things about people he doesn't like behind their back). He loves animals, and has a very playful, unique, yet responsible personality.

I really think he's an ENTP, but I could be wrong. He seems too grounded to be ENFP but also too tolerant and easy going to be an ENTJ.

Opinions?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
An ENFP will remember names better than an ENTP. Most certainly dates like others birthdays which becomes being good at dates in general due to practice habits. Being early can translate into being exited about whatever they're showing up to. Good social impression too. Not so much done to impress others, but more to impress self by social respect in knowing the others will notice by default.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
An ENFP will remember names better than an ENTP. Most certainly dates like others birthdays which becomes being good at dates in general due to practice habits. Being early can translate into being exited about whatever they're showing up to. Good social impression too. Not so much done to impress others, but more to impress self by social respect in knowing the others will notice by default.

He very well may be an ENFP. I suppose I just thought with him being so punctual and responsible and in control of his emotions (well, at least in control of them until he can get away from an offending person) that if he wasn't a J - which I think he's definitely not - that he was probably a T.

It very well could be just that he has extremely high Fe and just cares about other people that much that he is responsible and punctual etc. out of social concern. He's not just punctual to social things, though, he told me himself that he's "chronically" 10 - 15 minutes early for things like work and school (he's a full-time college student and a shift manager at his place of employment, which he is strangely very loyal to despite the fact that he doesn't like the work).

He remembers names and dates from history like reading them out of a book. Maybe it's just because he likes history (it's his major) but I also thought that might make him more NT. I mean, I'm a good student, a very good student actually, but I'm better with things like literary analysis than memorizing facts. I guess I can remember facts though when I'm really interested in something. Maybe he is an ENFP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The names/dates thing sounds more sensory to me overall, but any type could get good at something important to them. I admit this is not my strong suit as an NF, but I don't know if we're all that way....
I also don't think political affiliations have that much to do with type, honestly.

Quite honestly, I am hearing ENFJ in this description. I see Fe, and I think you're right to consider him a J. I think you are right to suspect he is too easy going to be an ENTJ, but that could be Fe, not P.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The names/dates thing sounds more sensory to me overall, but any type could get good at something important to them. I admit this is not my strong suit as an NF, but I don't know if we're all that way....
I also don't think political affiliations have that much to do with type, honestly.

Quite honestly, I am hearing ENFJ in this description. I see Fe, and I think you're right to consider him a J. I think you are right to suspect he is too easy going to be an ENTJ, but that could be Fe, not P.

ENFJ. Why didn't I think of that? Seriously.

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
FWIW, your description of your friend sounds exactly like a female ENTP friend of mine who has well-developed Fe, right down to the part about being Libertarian, loving animals, and enjoying gift-giving (not that those are indicative of type ... although the last of the three might be Fe related).

Did your friend grow up in a J environment by any chance? My ENTP friend had extremely J parents, and in turn she can be pretty J-like with regards to punctuality, planning, etc. I used to think she was an ENTJ as well.

Her Ne is usually kept in check, but it comes through when she talks about her fantasies ... things like wanting to strand herself in Europe with no money. Even if his day-to-day life is J-like, does he ever talk about wanting to go on adventures or doing things with absolutely no plan whatsoever?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
FWIW, your description of your friend sounds exactly like a female ENTP friend of mine who has well-developed Fe, right down to the part about being Libertarian, loving animals, and enjoying gift-giving (not that those are indicative of type ... although the last of the three might be Fe related).

Did your friend grow up in a J environment by any chance? My ENTP friend had extremely J parents, and in turn she can be pretty J-like with regards to punctuality, planning, etc. I used to think she was an ENTJ as well.

Her Ne is usually kept in check, but it comes through when she talks about her fantasies ... things like wanting to strand herself in Europe with no money. Even if his day-to-day life is J-like, does he ever talk about wanting to go on adventures or doing things with absolutely no plan whatsoever?

He does do things sometimes on a whim, and I think he is somewhat adventurous in his free time. More adventurous than some people, but not a dare devil. More like someone who likes to take road trips.

YES. He grew up in a very J environment. In fact, he and I share a background of very conservative (probably SJ) father figures. It's one of the things I relate to him about, about how we're both different philosophically than the people who raised us.

I don't think he's an ENTJ, though. Too easy going and tolerant of others beliefs and "nice." ENFJ if any J. Otherwise I'd go with ENTP - that was actually my first guess.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I haven't read anything that makes me think he couldn't be an ENFP. In fact I get more of a ENFP vibe then ENTP vibe from the first post.

Until recently, I was always very punctual even when meeting with friends for a night out at a bar or something. I'm a bit more relaxed :)P) lately for someone reason...I think it's because they themselves tend to arrive late. I never arrive late for appointments.

Anyway my point is that punctuality doesn't make him a J nor is it more relatable to Fe than to Fi (Fi cares too in it's own way; either through empathy or personal value).

"Being in control of ones emotions" is what any healthy F should be able to do btw. Two friends of mine who I introduced (a while ago) to MBTI both typed me as T because they too drank the misconceptions' kool aid.

ETA:I'm not saying he is an ENFP. Just saying that it's possible.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a friend IRL who I think is an ENTP. He's very friendly and talkative and generous. He makes people feel at ease, and he knows how to control his temper when he's annoyed. He seems to have great "people skills" but he's also good at memorizing facts about history, names, dates, etc.

I don't question the E or the N as much as the T and the P. The only reason I question the P is because he's one of those people who is always on time, even early. But aside from that he's laid back and has very liberal views on life. He's also passionately Libertarian, but as enthusiastic as he gets about it, he's never hateful or condecending in debates. He's capable of tolerating other people's opinions without getting snippy or trying to make them feel stupid.

But he really likes to give people things, and will be nice to just about anybody (that's not to say that he won't say nasty, critical things about people he doesn't like behind their back). He loves animals, and has a very playful, unique, yet responsible personality.

I really think he's an ENTP, but I could be wrong. He seems too grounded to be ENFP but also too tolerant and easy going to be an ENTJ.

Opinions?

Based on the information you've given, he sounds more ESFP than anything else.

You haven't given much evidence in favor of N or T.

velocity

MBTI Type
epic
Based on the information you've given, he sounds more ESFP than anything else.

You haven't given much evidence in favor of N or T.

simulated world: i see esfp people.
we gotta shake you out of this, mister.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
simulated world: i see esfp people.
we gotta shake you out of this, mister.

Heh. ENFP is my second guess.

I don't type most people as ESFP, though. I do make jokes about it with the whole closet thing, but this guy sounds like a reasonable candidate for ESFP.

Really we're running on so little information that it's hard to say with any kind of certainty...we haven't met this person; all we can do is listen to her explanation and make a guess as to which profile he fits most closely.

She mentioned that he's very tolerant and good with details. Could still be ENFP, but I'd want to hear more about what his hobbies/interests are and preferably sit down and talk to him for a while before I try to make any real determination between ENFP/ESFP. Either is possible.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ I agree....based on her info I pretty much can only say ExFx for sure. She knows him though, so I just took her word that he is an N.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Opinions?

He sounds very ENTP to me, right down to being Libertarian. He sounds like he has a well developed Fe, or he's really good at faking it (I've been through both phases in my life). The remembering names is questionable, but not impossible.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Wow - are you talking about me??? scary. hahaha...
(I see that you are also from NYC)

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
remembering dates etc seems to be more of a S thing last i checked. ESXP is my bet. but then again, if he's your friend, jsut make him take the test. it's not harder than that.

G

garbage

Could be ExFP with high tertiary Te. Mixed gender roles seem to promote the development of the tertiary.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Heh. ENFP is my second guess.

I don't type most people as ESFP, though. I do make jokes about it with the whole closet thing, but this guy sounds like a reasonable candidate for ESFP.

Really we're running on so little information that it's hard to say with any kind of certainty...we haven't met this person; all we can do is listen to her explanation and make a guess as to which profile he fits most closely.

She mentioned that he's very tolerant and good with details. Could still be ENFP, but I'd want to hear more about what his hobbies/interests are and preferably sit down and talk to him for a while before I try to make any real determination between ENFP/ESFP. Either is possible.

Trust me. He's not an SP. He's just as good of a student as I am, he minored in Political Science, and in his free time he reads a lot of non-fiction politics and history. He's obsessed with history and has considered becoming either a history professor or a lawyer. He's fairly certain he wants to go to grad school.

ESFPs, in my understanding, aren't especially fond of school, and even when they do like school, they aren't the type to gravitate toward analysis as their primary occupation. There's nothing "clownish" or "entertaining" about him, either - which in my understanding, again, ESFP is either a jokester or a performer, and can be the ring leader of a good time. He's more nice and friendly and engages in debate with people. He gets very frustrated with S people in fact (though that isn't what he calls them but I relate to what he means) because they don't want to discuss the sorts of things he wants to discuss, and are dismayed by his use of certain vocabulary words. He seems like someone who would be really good teacher, because he would be patient and understanding and gets very passionate about history. He puts me in mind more of someone who "herds the sheep" rather than entertains them.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Trust me. He's not an SP. He's just as good of a student as I am, he minored in Political Science, and in his free time he reads a lot of non-fiction politics and history. He's obsessed with history and has considered becoming either a history professor or a lawyer. He's fairly certain he wants to go to grad school.

ESFPs, in my understanding, aren't especially fond of school, and even when they do like school, they aren't the type to gravitate toward analysis as their primary occupation. There's nothing "clownish" or "entertaining" about him, either - which in my understanding, again, ESFP is either a jokester or a performer, and can be the ring leader of a good time. He's more nice and friendly and engages in debate with people. He gets very frustrated with S people in fact (though that isn't what he calls them but I relate to what he means) because they don't want to discuss the sorts of things he wants to discuss, and are dismayed by his use of certain vocabulary words. He seems like someone who would be really good teacher, because he would be patient and understanding and gets very passionate about history. He puts me in mind more of someone who "herds the sheep" rather than entertains them.

The bolded part sounds like a smart ESFP to me.
My ESFP sister is VERY bright, did excellent in school, loves history and reads tons of non-fiction, and generally enjoys learning. Don't let the "dumb ESFP" stereotypes blind you.

On the other hand, my sis is very funny & often the center of attention, and you do say your friend is not that way either.

I think an ENFP is not going to be any more inclined to school or less performing than an ESFP either. All the ENFPs I've known have struggled terribly with the typical school format (albeit some were quite smart in other ways) and definitely enjoy the spotlight, although they aren't necessarily funny.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like EFSPs. I've dated a few of them, I'm sure. I just don't think he is one, though I could be wrong. The ESFP guys I've known are quick witted, funny, charming, and entertaining when they want to be. It's almost like they're on a ego trip, but they do it in this really cute way that you can't hate them for it. They perpetually have this quality of "being a bit of a lad." I don't think they're stupid, either. They can be very intelligent, but the ones I've known weren't especially into formal schooling as a priority.

I would be very surprised if he turned out to be an ESFP, because he's more intellectual and less class clown than the ones I've known. I would not be surprised, however, if he were an ENFP. The more I think about it, the more I realize that he's sensitive and more comfortable with his emotions than some guys. But not in a "weak" or effeminate way. There's still something very masculine about him despite his love of kitty cats and his predisposition toward generosity.

Now, my ex is an E?I?SFP and he is also very sensitive in a masculine way, but much, much less in control of his emotions. He's much more led by his feelings and takes pride in the intensity of his emotions. He even has an anger problem at times, but I'm not at all insinuating that that's an ESFP thing.

This guy is much more in control of his emotions, and he seems to have a lot more respect for social standards of behavior. We've been friends for almost a year so this isn't like some person I've just met. I know he handles stress better than some people, and while he gets annoyed, it takes a lot to actually make him mad.

Maybe I'll just try to get him to take the test. I've already got some of my other friends taking these tests. ha!