• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could I have totally mistyped myself?

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Like ? said, temperament is the best place for you to start.

Temperament as in NT or NF? Or as in melancholic/sanguine/phlegmatic/choleric?

I go back and forth on the NT/NF thing. I always test very close to 50-50 between T and F. I am beginning to suspect that I may actually be more F, but have become accustomed to using T as a result of my education and profession. I do tend to identify more with INTP than INFP though.

As for the other...I tested "Phlegmatic Melancholy." That sounds so sad... :cry:

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Don't be sad, I'm a Phlegmatic Melancholy too. :tongue:

And they mean temperament as in NT or NF.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
Best check for J tendency...

Do you get the urge to tidy things up when you have somebody coming over for a visit?

Do you mean, Do you ONLY get the urge to tidy things up when you have somebody coming over for a visit?

That might be a check for P tendencies :laugh:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I go back and forth on the NT/NF thing. I always test very close to 50-50 between T and F. I am beginning to suspect that I may actually be more F, but have become accustomed to using T as a result of my education and profession. I do tend to identify more with INTP than INFP though.
T/F has nothing to do with whether you prefer NT or NF temperament! If you are focusing on two dichotomies then you may want to start over from the beginning. You could possibly prefer one and have the other as your secondary, but you should be able to tell the difference since all of the temperament groups are vastly different in their core values.

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I do suspect NF. But for whatever reason, INFP doesn't seem to fit.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
What if you stop focusing on your particular type stay on the paremeter. I can't count the number of times that I a have suggested to people to focus on your temperament then your interaction style and your type will become immediately apparent. Do you consider yourself a "Behind the Scenes" communicator?

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
You seem to know enough about yourself that whatever letters MBTI gives you shouldn't matter.

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
? said:
What if you stop focusing on your particular type stay on the paremeter. I can't count the number of times that I a have suggested to people to focus on your temperament then your interaction style and your type will become immediately apparent. Do you consider yourself a "Behind the Scenes" communicator?

I second this approach. Sometimes I wonder if people realize that just knowing temperament and interaction style is enough to tell them the four letter code we're all so obsessed with. And those things are a lot easier to understand than functions.

The four behind the scenes types and descriptions of same, just to make sure you identify with that. If you are an INFJ, then that is chart-the-course type.

If you are an NF, then:

The core needs are for the meaning and significance that come from having a sense of purpose and working toward some greater good. They need to have a sense of unique identity. They value unity, self-actualization, and authenticity. People of this temperament prefer cooperative interactions with a focus on ethics and morality. They tend to trust their intuition and impressions first and then seek to find the logic and the data to support them. Given their need for empathic relationships, they learn more easily when they can relate to the instructor and the group.

If you are an NT, then:
The core needs are for mastery of concepts, knowledge, and competence. People of this temperament want to understand the operating principles of the universe and to learn or even develop theories for everything. They value expertise, logical consistency, concepts, and ideas and seek progress. They tend toward pragmatic, utilitarian actions with a technology focus. They trust logic above all else. They tend to be skeptical and highly value precision in language. Their learning style is conceptual, and they want to know the underlying principles that generate the details and facts rather than the details alone.

Here is another way to figure out temperament, if the positive descriptions aren't helpful. I am comfortable with this way but maybe others aren't. Look at the survival games the different temperaments play. This is how the temperaments respond when they are under stress/not getting their core needs fulfilled. Keirsey says everyone plays their temperament survival game from time to time even if we are well-adjusted.

NFs:

Play the survival game MASQUERADE to alienate the self and deceive others when "they feel they have not been, or cannot continue to be authentic, benevolent, and empathic." The purpose is to hide the inauthentic self of which they are ashamed from public view.

MASQUERADE games are:
martyr (sacrifice self for someone else, or for a higher cause or principle),
mind reader (project own thoughts and emotions onto others, and think they know what others are thinking and of course it's something bad)
grasshopper (jump from topic to topic to avoid talking about something)
statue (physically lose a degree of motor or sensory function, like suddenly having problems falling asleep in inappropriate places, or so quiet as to feel invisible and voiceless),
forgetful (forget entire past events and not know they have forgotten, or frequently forgets to do unpleasant things),
twitch ("unusual increase in motor activity", such as physical tics or sudden negative outbursts in which they cannot control themselves)

NTs:
Play the game of ROBOT when "they fear a loss of their ability to be competent, achieving, and resolved." They distract themselves with rules on what they and others must do and must not do, like programmed computers.

ROBOT games are:
That's Illogical (make others constantly defend their statements and accuse them of being illogical)
Super-Intellectual (acts devoid of emotion, especially in social situations)
Nitpick (don't complete things because it's not perfect in every detail)
Superstition (basically, OCD)
Blanking Out (can't think of familiar simple things like words, names, numbers)
Haunted (can't make bad thoughts go away, can't stop imagining bad things)

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Wow, thank you Lady. You've really given me a lot to think about. I'm going to reread what you wrote and see what I can figure out.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
If it's that hard to figure out, it probably doesn't matter which one of the types you tend to prefer most. How comfortable are you with ambiguity? :D

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
If it's that hard to figure out, it probably doesn't matter which one of the types you tend to prefer most. How comfortable are you with ambiguity? :D

Obviously, not very.

Popsicle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Ok, I have given this probably way too much thought. I have decided that I am INFJ.

I have had a lot of insightful responses in this thread and I have changed the way I have looked at things. Because I had always tested about equally T and F, I had assumed I must be either INTP or INFP. I spent a lot of time reading profiles and INTP just seemed to "fit" better than INFP.

However, I still was a little unsure, and so tried a few new tests. I got INFJ twice. This was a surprise -- I had never thought of myself as J. I'm messy and disorganized. I can't possibly be J, can I? I never scored a very strong P, but I really wouldn't have thought J. Of course, on further reflection, though I like to *think* of myself as flexible, I must to admit that I like to plan ahead and I like to have things decided and finalized and having things too open-ended makes me rather uncomfortable. :hi:

On further reflection (and a cognitive processes test), I realized that I scored very high in both Fe and Ti, which explained not only why INFP didn't seem to fit , but why INTP did and why INFJ might. I also studied the temperaments and realized I was more NF than NT...so I was left with INFP and INFJ...and I already knew INFP didn't feel right.

I also read on here a lot of posts about INFJs and found that I related to them. I also found I am not the only person who has confused INTP and INFJ. Those posts from others who did were the posts I related to most.

So thank you to all of you who replied. I do feel that I have found the right type...though a part of me will miss thinking of myself as INTP. :(