• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTP V.S. INTJ

fiona

MBTI Type
INTJ
I get tied up in this one, too, because I'm an emergency doc, which implies a bit of seat-of-the-pants decision making in a very unplanned situation (INTP), yet what I actually love is rapidly processing the flow of information into a diagnosis. I'm like House on amphetamines - 'If I don't figure this out in the next ten minutes this person will die' sort of stuff.

However, if equipment fails or isn't ready because someone hasn't done their job and checked in advance, I will be inwardly seething, and will never trust that person ever again.

Which I guess is more INTJ.

The exam preparation is a good discriminator, too. I can't imagine feeling comfortable with 15 minutes of revision! Perhaps the question that separates P/J is 'when you're in a situation where planning would be a very good idea, are you still comfortable if you don't plan?'

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
You sound INTP. Good luck on getting a GF. How long did it take you to snare a female?

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
You sound INTP. Good luck on getting a GF. How long did it take you to snare a female?

I suppose you mean me, it didnt take too long.
INTP's may get the stereotype of the nerd, but I just used the same way of thinking to develope a formula for making girls like me. I used to date the girls that would date ANYONE, and then I moved up to a hard to get girl just by thinking logically. I saw what the guys who were getting girls were doing, and I did it too, without compromising morality.
Whats funny is all of my friends were obsessed about "nailing" her, and now me and her are getting married.
Plus she a cute little redhead...:newwink:

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Nice, too bad all the girls I know about only want dates right now. I've pretty much sworn myself to being single for the remainder of high school. No point in wasting time in 2 week roller coaster rides.

INTPatricia

MBTI Type
intj
Ok, so I took one of the tests and got INTP, it fit, my girlfriend thought it was funny how well it fit, and I took another test. INTJ. And another one, INTP, so on and so forth.

I know another INTJ, and I am not really anything like her, at all, and she is the epitomy of INTJ, and honestly I am not.
The difference seems to me is the after reviewing the test seems to be just two questions, both about whether or not I plan ahead or improvise.
I wasn't exactly sure to be honest.

I plan for big things, like my walk across America, but only for my equipment, I dont have a set place I am going or path I will take.

I plan, just REALLY fast, I take in the data about something, and then the next second I make up my mind. Is that planning or improv?

What is your girlfriend's type? That will help decide it.:hug:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are many P people who are organized, maybe due to their environment or out of necessity. There are J people who are physically messy because they organize in different ways (ie. socially).

J and P seem to be less of a function than to serve to determine if your dominant function is a judging or perceiving one....so maybe consider if you have dominant introverted thinking (INTP) vs. auxiliary extroverted thinking (INTJ), or auxiliary extroverted intuition (INTP) vs. dominant introverted intuition (INTJ).

Read over the cognitive functions, and as mentioned, take into account the overall profile. No type will fit you perfectly, as you are an individual, not a type. ;)

Oh, and many of us test different types, depending on our mood & the weather, and how well that particular test actually determines functions and type.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The more J I have to be for work. The more P I get in my spare time. It's like a battery. J is consume mode. P is recharge mode. :)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is INTP or INTJ more robotic?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The more J I have to be for work. The more P I get in my spare time. It's like a battery. J is consume mode. P is recharge mode. :)

I do that too!!

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If we are going by whether your dominant function is judging or perceiving...it's hard to say for me. I'm pretty much INTX/INXP. Are you more Ti-Ne, or Ni-Te? I feel about equal on J and P as well, and my cognitive functions reflect this. They look like the two types' orders folded on top of each other. I'm pretty neutral with schedules. I don't like to be tied down with commitment, or having other people decide my plans, but on my own time I tend to get nothing done and that's equally annoying. I always have grand plans to study extensively for school, and my only problem with not doing it is procrastination. And I feel bad about it. Being a good student is very important to me, and often I do study hard and do work in advance. But I have a real problem with procrastination and time management.

I think you sound more P.

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
they are pretty similar but still quite different.

INTPs dom Ti leads them to break down and classify things that they find interesting, so they can be a bit more in the clouds than the INTJ. Because (especially for e5) they need to think of a model, and rethink it and organize it once new information is available, they may hoard lots of time and appear completely detached. Every now and then they will come up with new ideas (Ne, normally) which can potentially give Ti more things to consider, and also a break lol.

INTJs primarily use Ni, which is like absorbing ideas and then coming up with a new perspective that may flip the whole subject over. For example, they get a hunch after reading jack the ripper's victim's deaths that they were probably killed by someone else (the thought he was never caught). Now that that idea is there, it needs to be judged (Te) to see if it has any validity. INTJ's Te puts them in a relentless search for the facts in order to support their theory (Ni).

Both types are pretty intense, but the INTJ is a bit more worldly than an INTP. INTPs are the true crackpots :p

Trunks

I'm not Trunks
The INTP I've meet and know are more intellectual and have a good manner, but I think INTJ have more morbid sense of humor and very sarcastic and blunt..

Zhuli Lily Askar

Avatars and stuff really just don't matter when you determine your type. Again, take a look at what type of intuition (Ne/Ni) and thinking you use (Ti/Te) to determine whether you are INTP or INTJ. The type will be far more useful to you than just stereotypical descriptions that way.

Hresvelgr

MBTI Type
INTJ
Take a look at the functions of both types if you're having trouble deciding. I had this exact same dilemma but reading up on the functions tipped it towards INTJ. It can be difficult sometimes, I for one am very INTP-like when it comes to things I'm not very interested in. When I'm in a class I dislike, your comment about doing a project in the last 15 minutes and getting a B fits me perfectly. When I am interested in something, I prepare and plan and work a lot. And while I put off things until the last minute sometimes, I'm not okay with missing a deadline. One of my friends constantly asks for extensions and hands things in two weeks late and I don't know how he does it. I was prepared for a class last semester when I had surgery the day before and was in the hospital for 4 days prior...