Senior Member Array FallaciaSonata's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

Default Can Anyone Type My Dad?

I know for sure that I'm an ISTJ. So is my Mom. I'm still working on my sister, but I figure I'll ask for some superior help on my Dad, if anyone is interested.

I was raised mostly by my Mom, whom I get most of my personality traits from, and quirks/pet peeves. (I'm actually quite a bit like her Dad.) This isn't to say that I don't have a good relationship with my Dad, I do, but he works. It's only natural that I spent more time with Mom as a child.

Anyway, I'll move on. The "traits" I have that my Mom does not, that my Dad does have, are these:

*Extremely calm. Almost never gets angry.
    *Able to think calmly and clearly in emotionally stressful situations. (Such as a death in the family.)

Here are traits found in my Dad that I lack:

*Able to talk to anyone, anywhere, for no particular reason. The "Gift of Gab", my Mom calls it.
    *Very compassionate. (Not in a mushy way, mind you. My Dad is a very "masculine" kind of dude.) (I have compassion as well, but not nearly as much.)

And finally, here are some traits that I have, but my Dad does not:

*My Dad is very intelligent, so don't take this wrong. I gather and retain knowledge faster and more efficiently than he does. He has some problems with memorization. (For example, he requires more repetition in math to get better grades. I do not.)
    *My Dad is more likely to leave stuff behind for my Mom to clean up. I'm not saying he's messy, I'm just saying Mom and myself have minor cases of ISTJ-OCD.

Okay, I think that's good. If you want more information, ask away. I have a feeling he's xSTx. Not sure where to put the others as.

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I get ESTP, they seem to fit that description. Cool, able to deal with conflicts easily and coolly, extremely nice to those close to them, very real world smart. Or perhaps just Se dominant, but since you think he's a T we can say ESTP. I got ESXP just from what you said. EXFPs can look like T's depending on how preferred they are F/T wise, ESFPs can just show their SeTe face to the world and not tell anyone about their values (even though they are somewhat driven by them), making them look like a T.
    () 9w8-3w2-7w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

Interesting. I was thinking about it some more, and I think he might use Ti a bit. Recalling our last math-session, (Needed help for a test) he told me that although he understands it, he has a hard time explaining it. Would that indicate Ti?

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Ti types usually have an easy time explaining something they understand. Fi types can understand something yet be unable to explain it very well.

I doubt that's a good way to determine it though. Observe more... Read some profiles. See if you notice the Fi, etc.
    () 9w8-3w2-7w6 tritype.

RCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Moved from SJ Guardhouse.

Incidentally, I believe that I am a dominant Ti user, and I often have trouble explaining things that I understand well. It's a matter of organizing the presentation of material. I can have it perfectly organized in my head all at once, but structuring the sequential delivery of material so that others understand is a different matter entirely, and requires a different skill set that I am apparently lacking.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Rats off to ya! Array Mort Belfry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I would say your Dad's type is SUPA-HOT!!!!!
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

MBTI
    I

Honestly there's not enough information on there (all I could get was a little extroverted behavior), but from the description of your dad and his comparison to you, it sounds eerily similar to a comparison of me and my dad...

My mom says my dad too has "the gift of the gab" meaning he can talk about anything for an extended period of time. He'll lecture anyone. I get more tired listening to him than he does talking to me.

My dad too can be sentimental at times even though he mostly has a very masculine personality.

My dad too is cool and calm in crisis situations.

I definitely memorize stuff better than my dad, but he's probably more hard-working than me. He's also more imaginative and ingenious than me.

One big difference is my dad is the one who has the most OCD, he usually likes to have a neat table.

My dad is ENTJ. Not enough info. to know if your dad is the same, maybe he's ENTP.

Senior Member Array professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

INFJ. He can hold his own by not overreacting...say...emotionally, which is a testament to his of level responsibleness. Of all the Is, i think INFJ has the best ability to gab, imo. You say he is very masculine (not in a mushy kind of way).

Changed my mind. XNFJ.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

I don't mean to revive a topic that hasn't been posted on in a while, but I think I've figured it out.

I've been observing my Dad a bit more recently and I've questioned Mom about his behavior prior to having my sister and myself. I showed Mom PersonalityPage.com's "Portrait of the ISTP".

From what I can tell, and from Mom's reaction, I'd say that's him.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

Wow, ISTP huh? My guess was ESFP or ESTP.

You described your dad as very compassionate. That doesn't sound particularly ISTP to me -- Fe is the ISTP's "blindspot." In my experience, ISTPs aren't as chatty with strangers as you're describing either. My sister is an ISTP, and though she has feelings and is very protective of her loved ones, most people wouldn't know it because she keeps her cards close to her chest. She, like other ISTPs I've known, is a tough cookie (think "the strong, silent type"). Then again you are your dad's son so you would be more likely to see a compassionate side even if others don't. And I'm sure there are different ISTP subtypes.

But just out of curiousity, have you tried reading "Portrait of an ESTP"? ESTPs can hit it off with anyone and everyone, and they're more likely to reveal their soft side than a typical ISTP. Then again (I always see holes in my argument right after I make a statement lol) since you are part of your dad's inner circle he would act more extroverted around you and therefore more like an ESTP even if he is technically an ISTP...

Based on your description alone though, I would still go with ESxP... Especially the part about him leaving stuff around the house for your mom to pick up -- that is my ESTP husband to a "t"