• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can Anyone Type My Dad?

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I know for sure that I'm an ISTJ. So is my Mom. I'm still working on my sister, but I figure I'll ask for some superior help on my Dad, if anyone is interested.

I was raised mostly by my Mom, whom I get most of my personality traits from, and quirks/pet peeves. (I'm actually quite a bit like her Dad.) This isn't to say that I don't have a good relationship with my Dad, I do, but he works. It's only natural that I spent more time with Mom as a child.

Anyway, I'll move on. The "traits" I have that my Mom does not, that my Dad does have, are these:

*Extremely calm. Almost never gets angry.
*Able to think calmly and clearly in emotionally stressful situations. (Such as a death in the family.)

Here are traits found in my Dad that I lack:

*Able to talk to anyone, anywhere, for no particular reason. The "Gift of Gab", my Mom calls it.
*Very compassionate. (Not in a mushy way, mind you. My Dad is a very "masculine" kind of dude.) (I have compassion as well, but not nearly as much.)

And finally, here are some traits that I have, but my Dad does not:

*My Dad is very intelligent, so don't take this wrong. I gather and retain knowledge faster and more efficiently than he does. He has some problems with memorization. (For example, he requires more repetition in math to get better grades. I do not.)
*My Dad is more likely to leave stuff behind for my Mom to clean up. I'm not saying he's messy, I'm just saying Mom and myself have minor cases of ISTJ-OCD. :D

Okay, I think that's good. If you want more information, ask away. I have a feeling he's xSTx. Not sure where to put the others as.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I get ESTP, they seem to fit that description. Cool, able to deal with conflicts easily and coolly, extremely nice to those close to them, very real world smart. Or perhaps just Se dominant, but since you think he's a T we can say ESTP. I got ESXP just from what you said. EXFPs can look like T's depending on how preferred they are F/T wise, ESFPs can just show their SeTe face to the world and not tell anyone about their values (even though they are somewhat driven by them), making them look like a T.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Interesting. I was thinking about it some more, and I think he might use Ti a bit. Recalling our last math-session, (Needed help for a test) he told me that although he understands it, he has a hard time explaining it. Would that indicate Ti?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ti types usually have an easy time explaining something they understand. Fi types can understand something yet be unable to explain it very well.

I doubt that's a good way to determine it though. Observe more... Read some profiles. See if you notice the Fi, etc.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Moved from SJ Guardhouse.

Incidentally, I believe that I am a dominant Ti user, and I often have trouble explaining things that I understand well. It's a matter of organizing the presentation of material. I can have it perfectly organized in my head all at once, but structuring the sequential delivery of material so that others understand is a different matter entirely, and requires a different skill set that I am apparently lacking.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Honestly there's not enough information on there (all I could get was a little extroverted behavior), but from the description of your dad and his comparison to you, it sounds eerily similar to a comparison of me and my dad...

My mom says my dad too has "the gift of the gab" meaning he can talk about anything for an extended period of time. He'll lecture anyone. I get more tired listening to him than he does talking to me.

My dad too can be sentimental at times even though he mostly has a very masculine personality.

My dad too is cool and calm in crisis situations.

I definitely memorize stuff better than my dad, but he's probably more hard-working than me. He's also more imaginative and ingenious than me.

One big difference is my dad is the one who has the most OCD, he usually likes to have a neat table.

My dad is ENTJ. Not enough info. to know if your dad is the same, maybe he's ENTP.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
INFJ. He can hold his own by not overreacting...say...emotionally, which is a testament to his of level responsibleness. Of all the Is, i think INFJ has the best ability to gab, imo. You say he is very masculine (not in a mushy kind of way).

Changed my mind. XNFJ.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I don't mean to revive a topic that hasn't been posted on in a while, but I think I've figured it out.

I've been observing my Dad a bit more recently and I've questioned Mom about his behavior prior to having my sister and myself. I showed Mom PersonalityPage.com's "Portrait of the ISTP".

From what I can tell, and from Mom's reaction, I'd say that's him.

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Wow, ISTP huh? My guess was ESFP or ESTP.

You described your dad as very compassionate. That doesn't sound particularly ISTP to me -- Fe is the ISTP's "blindspot." In my experience, ISTPs aren't as chatty with strangers as you're describing either. My sister is an ISTP, and though she has feelings and is very protective of her loved ones, most people wouldn't know it because she keeps her cards close to her chest. She, like other ISTPs I've known, is a tough cookie (think "the strong, silent type"). Then again you are your dad's son so you would be more likely to see a compassionate side even if others don't. And I'm sure there are different ISTP subtypes.

But just out of curiousity, have you tried reading "Portrait of an ESTP"? ESTPs can hit it off with anyone and everyone, and they're more likely to reveal their soft side than a typical ISTP. Then again (I always see holes in my argument right after I make a statement lol) since you are part of your dad's inner circle he would act more extroverted around you and therefore more like an ESTP even if he is technically an ISTP...

Based on your description alone though, I would still go with ESxP... Especially the part about him leaving stuff around the house for your mom to pick up -- that is my ESTP husband to a "t" :newwink:

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This guy is definitely ENXP, the N is ridiculously clear, knowing but not being able to explain is an Ne trait, the way he leaves things behind is like any classic intuitive dominant. Intuitives concentrate on the goal when solving problems, they often have a little trouble remembering how to get there after managing it once, they are likely more adept at figuring things out from scratch (which is the advantage). I've seen ESFPs express exactly the same style of compassion that you've described, the masculinity included, I'm assuming that ENFPs would have the same style. This guy is likely ENFP, but quite possibly ENTP, but the compassion thing might suggest otherwise.

You'd know if he was an ESTP, they are doers, does he procrastinate at all? ESFPs tend to indulge themselves quite a fair bit, but that's probably true for all enneagram 7 types, it's still possible that he's an ESFP, but if he's not even the slightest bit ESTP like, I would doubt ESFP. ESXPs tend to be pretty straight forward typing wise, unless they have an unusual enneagram type.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The key thing between T and F types is the end decision.

T types make functional decisions (utalitarian) - does he choose to buy the tool that is the best for the job Or

F type makes co operative decsions, he chooses the tool that everyone likes the most...

Think about how he buys a car - is it family decision or car preformance (it may be a mix of the two). Or buying a computer, or sofa or something along those lines...

The T/F differential is easier to spot when getting people to make purchase decisions... T = functonal decision F = to make people happy.

in terms of wider behaviours both ENxP types can have a lot of enregy and be quite frenetic... F types are late because they are chatting to people, T types are late because they have become engrossed in something intersting (less likely to be a conversation more likely to be a crane, or an article on the net or something else thats sparkly)...

S type and N types can procrastinate... N types are more imaginative/conceptual... can you explain an idea to him easily? S types need prototypes and hand holding to see the idea, N types just get it... S types use concrete language, N types use abstract language...

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
S type and N types can procrastinate... N types are more imaginative/conceptual... can you explain an idea to him easily? S types need prototypes and hand holding to see the idea, N types just get it... S types use concrete language, N types use abstract language...

I would say he's more of a Sensor then, as opposed to an iNtuitive. When I try to explain something to him, he doesn't "just get it". I usually have to go into detail to have him fully understand.

What about analogies? When he attempts to explain something to me, (we'll go with audio equipment since that's "his thing") he uses a lot of analogies. Well, he says exactly what it is first, and when I go "huh?", he resorts to a generic analogy, then I pick it up pretty fast.

....the N is ridiculously clear, knowing but not being able to explain is an Ne trait, the way he leaves things behind is like any classic intuitive dominant....

I also read somewhere that knowing but not being able to explain is partially a Ti thing. I'm not saying you're incorrect, just throwing it out there. I'm extremely good at explaining things --- and I've been told that's my Te shining. :yes:

'course, I could be wrong. That happens a lot. The compassion thing, too, I think you've taken a bit too far. He's not compassionate in the extreme, or with everybody out there. Of course, too, someone mentioned that I would see his "soft side" more often being his kid. That could be it.

I'll continue my observation --- we'll figure this out. Or, at least, you guys will. :D

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
ISTP? Not buying it, at least from your initial description. I still stick by ENTx.

FallaciaSonata

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Here's the bits from the ISTP portrait that fit my Dad very well:

ISTPs have a compelling drive to understand the way things work. They're good at logical analysis, and like to use it on practical concerns. They typically have strong powers of reasoning, although they're not interested in theories or concepts unless they can see a practical application. They like to take things apart and see the way they work.

ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless. ISTPs are fiercely independent, needing to have the space to make their own decisions about their next step. They do not believe in or follow rules and regulations, as this would prohibit their ability to "do their own thing". Their sense of adventure and desire for constant action makes ISTPs prone to becoming bored rather quickly. (Italic part isn't really prominent.)

ISTPs are action-oriented people. They like to be up and about, doing things. They are not people to sit behind a desk all day and do long-range planning. Adaptable and spontaneous, they respond to what is immediately before them. They usually have strong technical skills, and can be effective technical leaders. They focus on details and practical things. They have an excellent sense of expediency and grasp of the details which enables them to make quick, effective decisions.

ISTPs are excellent in a crisis situations. They're usually good athletes, and have very good hand-eye coordination. They are good at following through with a project, and tying up loose ends. They usually don't have much trouble with school, because they are introverts who can think logically. They are usually patient individuals, although they may be prone to occasional emotional outbursts due to their inattention to their own feelings.

ISTPs have a lot of natural ability which makes them good at many different kinds of things. However, they are happiest when they are centered in action-oriented tasks which require detailed logical analysis and technical skill. They take pride in their ability to take the next correct step.

And this chunk is very like him, as a parent, coming from my point of view as the kid.

ISTPs are flexible, laid-back, uncontrolling parents who like to take things as they come. Their dislike of being controlled or controlling others extends to their children as well, and they're consequently likely to give their kids a lot of breathing room and space for individual growth. However, when discipline is required, the ISTP will be able to administer it without too much difficulty. They may have difficulty mustering up the enthusiasm to discipline their kids, but once they get going they'll be effective.

He was very flexible and non-controlling in the sense of....he didn't push anything. It was always, "Erik, if you want to play sports, go for it. Just try it if you want to. If you don't like it, we can do something else." He knew discipline was necessary, but wasn't really into actually doing it. My Mom either had to spank me as a child or tell Dad to.

ISTP parents are likely to maintain a distance between themselves and their children. They do not feel a tremendous need to pass on their values to their children, or to influence their decisions in life. They're likely to rely on their mates for creating a structured environment for their children to live within. ISTPs do not like to be directed or controlled, and are not likely to direct and control others - including their children. They're likely to be relatively uninvolved with the daily happenings of family life, without making a conscious effort to keep interested.

I can't make a judgment on this one because he was at work a lot. He went between first and third shift a lot, and second when I was in middle school. (Not a lot of seniority so he got bumped around a lot. Now it's not the case --- he's pretty much first shift all the time.)

ISTPs will enjoy spending one-on-one time with their children pursuing outdoorsy activities, such as fishing, boating, hunting, etc. It is during these private moments that the ISTP will take the opportunity to get to know their children's perspectives, and to pass on the ISTP's interests and perspectives.

This is how I "bond" with him the most. We don't really do outdoorsy stuff, because that's definitely not my style, and he knows it. But we'll play Soul Calibur IV, or fix the car, or build a deck or something, or that one time we went over and redid my Grandma's entire basement.