User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

This guy is definitely ENXP, the N is ridiculously clear, knowing but not being able to explain is an Ne trait, the way he leaves things behind is like any classic intuitive dominant. Intuitives concentrate on the goal when solving problems, they often have a little trouble remembering how to get there after managing it once, they are likely more adept at figuring things out from scratch (which is the advantage). I've seen ESFPs express exactly the same style of compassion that you've described, the masculinity included, I'm assuming that ENFPs would have the same style. This guy is likely ENFP, but quite possibly ENTP, but the compassion thing might suggest otherwise.

You'd know if he was an ESTP, they are doers, does he procrastinate at all? ESFPs tend to indulge themselves quite a fair bit, but that's probably true for all enneagram 7 types, it's still possible that he's an ESFP, but if he's not even the slightest bit ESTP like, I would doubt ESFP. ESXPs tend to be pretty straight forward typing wise, unless they have an unusual enneagram type.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP

The key thing between T and F types is the end decision.

T types make functional decisions (utalitarian) - does he choose to buy the tool that is the best for the job Or

F type makes co operative decsions, he chooses the tool that everyone likes the most...

Think about how he buys a car - is it family decision or car preformance (it may be a mix of the two). Or buying a computer, or sofa or something along those lines...

The T/F differential is easier to spot when getting people to make purchase decisions... T = functonal decision F = to make people happy.

in terms of wider behaviours both ENxP types can have a lot of enregy and be quite frenetic... F types are late because they are chatting to people, T types are late because they have become engrossed in something intersting (less likely to be a conversation more likely to be a crane, or an article on the net or something else thats sparkly)...

S type and N types can procrastinate... N types are more imaginative/conceptual... can you explain an idea to him easily? S types need prototypes and hand holding to see the idea, N types just get it... S types use concrete language, N types use abstract language...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

S type and N types can procrastinate... N types are more imaginative/conceptual... can you explain an idea to him easily? S types need prototypes and hand holding to see the idea, N types just get it... S types use concrete language, N types use abstract language...
    I would say he's more of a Sensor then, as opposed to an iNtuitive. When I try to explain something to him, he doesn't "just get it". I usually have to go into detail to have him fully understand.

What about analogies? When he attempts to explain something to me, (we'll go with audio equipment since that's "his thing") he uses a lot of analogies. Well, he says exactly what it is first, and when I go "huh?", he resorts to a generic analogy, then I pick it up pretty fast.

....the N is ridiculously clear, knowing but not being able to explain is an Ne trait, the way he leaves things behind is like any classic intuitive dominant....
    I also read somewhere that knowing but not being able to explain is partially a Ti thing. I'm not saying you're incorrect, just throwing it out there. I'm extremely good at explaining things --- and I've been told that's my Te shining.

'course, I could be wrong. That happens a lot. The compassion thing, too, I think you've taken a bit too far. He's not compassionate in the extreme, or with everybody out there. Of course, too, someone mentioned that I would see his "soft side" more often being his kid. That could be it.

I'll continue my observation --- we'll figure this out. Or, at least, you guys will.

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins

MBTI
    I

ISTP? Not buying it, at least from your initial description. I still stick by ENTx.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ISTj

Here's the bits from the ISTP portrait that fit my Dad very well:

ISTPs have a compelling drive to understand the way things work. They're good at logical analysis, and like to use it on practical concerns. They typically have strong powers of reasoning, although they're not interested in theories or concepts unless they can see a practical application. They like to take things apart and see the way they work.

ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless. ISTPs are fiercely independent, needing to have the space to make their own decisions about their next step. They do not believe in or follow rules and regulations, as this would prohibit their ability to "do their own thing". Their sense of adventure and desire for constant action makes ISTPs prone to becoming bored rather quickly. (Italic part isn't really prominent.)

ISTPs are action-oriented people. They like to be up and about, doing things. They are not people to sit behind a desk all day and do long-range planning. Adaptable and spontaneous, they respond to what is immediately before them. They usually have strong technical skills, and can be effective technical leaders. They focus on details and practical things. They have an excellent sense of expediency and grasp of the details which enables them to make quick, effective decisions.

ISTPs are excellent in a crisis situations. They're usually good athletes, and have very good hand-eye coordination. They are good at following through with a project, and tying up loose ends. They usually don't have much trouble with school, because they are introverts who can think logically. They are usually patient individuals, although they may be prone to occasional emotional outbursts due to their inattention to their own feelings.

ISTPs have a lot of natural ability which makes them good at many different kinds of things. However, they are happiest when they are centered in action-oriented tasks which require detailed logical analysis and technical skill. They take pride in their ability to take the next correct step.

And this chunk is very like him, as a parent, coming from my point of view as the kid.

ISTPs are flexible, laid-back, uncontrolling parents who like to take things as they come. Their dislike of being controlled or controlling others extends to their children as well, and they're consequently likely to give their kids a lot of breathing room and space for individual growth. However, when discipline is required, the ISTP will be able to administer it without too much difficulty. They may have difficulty mustering up the enthusiasm to discipline their kids, but once they get going they'll be effective.

He was very flexible and non-controlling in the sense of....he didn't push anything. It was always, "Erik, if you want to play sports, go for it. Just try it if you want to. If you don't like it, we can do something else." He knew discipline was necessary, but wasn't really into actually doing it. My Mom either had to spank me as a child or tell Dad to.

ISTP parents are likely to maintain a distance between themselves and their children. They do not feel a tremendous need to pass on their values to their children, or to influence their decisions in life. They're likely to rely on their mates for creating a structured environment for their children to live within. ISTPs do not like to be directed or controlled, and are not likely to direct and control others - including their children. They're likely to be relatively uninvolved with the daily happenings of family life, without making a conscious effort to keep interested.

I can't make a judgment on this one because he was at work a lot. He went between first and third shift a lot, and second when I was in middle school. (Not a lot of seniority so he got bumped around a lot. Now it's not the case --- he's pretty much first shift all the time.)

ISTPs will enjoy spending one-on-one time with their children pursuing outdoorsy activities, such as fishing, boating, hunting, etc. It is during these private moments that the ISTP will take the opportunity to get to know their children's perspectives, and to pass on the ISTP's interests and perspectives.

This is how I "bond" with him the most. We don't really do outdoorsy stuff, because that's definitely not my style, and he knows it. But we'll play Soul Calibur IV, or fix the car, or build a deck or something, or that one time we went over and redid my Grandma's entire basement.

Always remember to flank your enemies. History won't remember how dramatic your failed frontal assault looked. - Dragon Age: Origins