User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Default Here we go again: the biggest differences between ISTP and ISFP

Okay, so the other thread established that i am definitely a P type.

Now another thing has crossed my mind, that i might be T instead of F

so i ask you once again: What are the biggest differences between ISTP and ISFP (besides the obvious thinker/feeler label)

thanks

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

(isfp)

I think the biggest thing is they're a lot more easy-going. I like to think I am but things still bug me.

They seem on average more social, although of course you have I/E mixed up there.

If they're mad at you they typically won't tell you, at least until it's a huge problem (at least the ones I know). Mind you I tend to do that too, so I'm not sure what the typical istp would do.

talk to the isxps here, or maybe read some of their blogs. I find a lot of that kinda stuff tends to come out there...
    -end of thread-

I asked the same question myself once. Here is the thread ISTP/ISFP.

MBTI
    INTP

They tend to have different interests. Even if they share interests, their reasons for doing them are different. The ISTP tends to like things that they have a natural affinity for, because being good at what they do is very important to them. The ISFP doesn't care as much about whether or not they are better than the next guy, as long as they are having fun.

IME, ISFPs are more likely to be sexual variants, in Enneagram terms, while ISTPs are more likely to be self-preservation.

Keep in mind I am speaking only from my own experience and not from some kind of grand knowledge of MBTI.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I asked the same question myself once. Here is the thread ISTP/ISFP.
    What i got out of that thread was, that ISFP's are semi-idealistic based on the quotes there (Love is the answer, Man has a right to be free etc.). I would never say that, or even think it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    They tend to have different interests. Even if they share interests, their reasons for doing them are different. The ISTP tends to like things that they have a natural affinity for, because being good at what they do is very important to them. The ISFP doesn't care as much about whether or not they are better than the next guy, as long as they are having fun.

IME, ISFPs are more likely to be sexual variants, in Enneagram terms, while ISTPs are more likely to be self-preservation.

Keep in mind I am speaking only from my own experience and not from some kind of grand knowledge of MBTI.
    Interests, hmm. Number one would pretty much be videogames, followed by music. The "being good at what they do is very important to them" quote applies perfectly to me.

As for the enneagram, i think that i'm a six, but i have no idea of variants whatsoever.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by Requeim View Post
    What i got out of that thread was, that ISFP's are semi-idealistic
    Hah semi-idealistic, yes I like it, that fits.

It's hard trying to work it out with interests, I have very similar interests as some of the ISTPs in my family and I have been strongly influenced by them and my _STP friends growing up.

I would say generally ISTPs are natural mechanics or at least inclined that way and ISFPs are better suited to "fuzzier" activities like art.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    I would say generally ISTPs are natural mechanics or at least inclined that way and ISFPs are better suited to "fuzzier" activities like art.
    I love art.. I could never make anything like that though.

As for the mechanics thing, i am a natural at setting up TVs and computers(on the software side of things). But i find, that in school (i despise school btw) i don't understand anything about building webpages and things that i need to learn from a teacher etc. So i guess, if it's anything that i can learn by myself and can find the will to do so, i will. But not through the education system.

The biggest problem for me is just that; having the will to keep going

Okay, a quick example. Over the last two years, i have been wanting to getting into producing music (electronic, mostly). I don't play an instrument, but i have alot of ideas that i feel would work. During these two years, i have tried about 6 times or such to really "get into it", and begin reading alot of tutorials so i could understand the complex software that you have to use. But as english is not my first language and with all the theory that you have to learn i VERY quickly become discouraged (you might even say demoralized) and give up.

that is my worst quality, giving up too easily when i don't see any quick results (except for things that i have already mastered)

anyway, i hope this helps a little

Read through the weak points of each type here. Which do you feel is more like you?

ISFP

ISTP

you sound just like me my man! it's not very fun if I'm not good at it, I 'm good at fixing things, give up easily, etc.

hell, I even make electronic music! La Jolla on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
    my advice on the music part is to not get involved with all those tutorials. I find it's really hard to make myself get interested in something. just open up one of those programs and experiment experiment experiment until you learn a lot by yourself. then when you feel you're ready, read some of those tutorials and blend those techniques in with your own.

Quote Originally Posted by warm8 View Post
    my advice on the music part is to not get involved with all those tutorials. I find it's really hard to make myself get interested in something. just open up one of those programs and experiment experiment experiment until you learn a lot by yourself. then when you feel you're ready, read some of those tutorials and blend those techniques in with your own.
    That's how I learn too.