• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the biggest differences between ISFJ and ISFP

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
This is about me by the way

I can identify with traits from both J and P, so i have no idea :steam::confused:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Don't mean to throw out the obvious, but ISFP's are a lot more laid back imo.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Don't mean to throw out the obvious, but ISFP's are a lot more laid back imo.

Well, i have always thought of myself as quite laid back...

I read some other place though, that ISFJ are the planners where the ISFP takes life as it comes(don't know if anybody understand this).

But this is where i find myself most to the ISFJ side. When dealing with the unknown (going out somewhere in public or being around strangers) it really gives me some security to have at least a short term plan of what is going to happen. That's why i have typed myself as an ISFJ until now, but i don't really think it fits that great as the needing a plan thing could also come from me being very shy and anxious in general.

There loads of bullet points for each type on the links below, i could go through them and comment on each one if you would like

ISFJ People-Focused, Responsible, Trustworthy, Loyal Ones!!
ISFP Quiet Observers, Problem Solvers, Realistic, Critical!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Their personal styles are hugely different. ISFPs will stand out because they have this sort of "I take my own path through life and don't pay much attention to norms or standards" kind of attitude...they usually have a unique sense of personal style and give off a free-spirit, sometimes "hippie" kind of vibe. Some ISFP males seem to have a habit of overcompensating socially, being too outgoing, etc., in order to hide their naturally shy nature. (Sometimes this makes it hard to distinguish them from ESFPs, but ESFPs are just naturally at home being social and gregarious without even trying--you can tell the difference with practice.)

ISFJs are much more in line with social and cultural expectations. They're typically more concerned with just being calm and responsive to the needs of others, fulfilling their responsibilities, generally upholding the rules (except when the rules ask them to violate their personal obligations or relationships with others), and just kind of fitting in to do their part and make the system run the way it should. I find that the biggest distinguishing feature of ISFJs (from ISFPs) is the natural respect they give to the prevailing social and moral standards of their environment. (An ISFP is less likely to judge someone or something negatively because it's "weird" or otherwise abnormal.)

maliafee

This is about me by the way

I can identify with traits from both J and P, so i have no idea :steam::confused:

If you have an obligation (like school), and you don't feel like going, how does it make you feel to miss it? Free and relieved, or down and guilty?

This is a huge difference between the types.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Their personal styles are hugely different. ISFPs will stand out because they have this sort of "I take my own path through life and don't pay much attention to norms or standards" kind of attitude...they usually have a unique sense of personal style and give off a free-spirit, sometimes "hippie" kind of vibe. Some ISFP males seem to have a habit of overcompensating socially, being too outgoing, etc., in order to hide their naturally shy nature. (Sometimes this makes it hard to distinguish them from ESFPs, but ESFPs are just naturally at home being social and gregarious without even trying--you can tell the difference with practice.)

ISFJs are much more in line with social and cultural expectations. They're typically more concerned with just being calm and responsive to the needs of others, fulfilling their responsibilities, generally upholding the rules (except when the rules ask them to violate their personal obligations or relationships with others), and just kind of fitting in to do their part and make the system run the way it should. I find that the biggest distinguishing feature of ISFJs (from ISFPs) is the natural respect they give to the prevailing social and moral standards of their environment. (An ISFP is less likely to judge someone or something negatively because it's "weird" or otherwise abnormal.)

This doesn't make it any clearer, sorry... Again there's a lot of stuff on both sides that apply to me :huh:

If you have an obligation (like school), and you don't feel like going, how does it make you feel to miss it? Free and relieved, or down and guilty?

This is a huge difference between the types.

That is a great question, and i am 100% sure that i would want to feel free and relieved about it (i don't miss school alot by the way), however i usually end up feeling very guilty about it when i do (because of my mother((esfj)) who is the master of making me feel guilty about things like that

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I agree with a lot of this.

You do have to be careful with ISFPs, though, if you cross their inner values -- they can really dig in their feet and have a really fervent/righteous anger over "moral" choices someone else might have made. They rarely express this, but when it comes out, it's pretty intense and sometimes even shocking considering how laid back they are otherwise.

ESFPs and ISFPs differ greatly in terms of self-awareness. It's easy for EPs to live outside their core and that becomes their identity, while there's nothing "inside" to find, while ISFPs have a much stronger inner life while still liking to "mess with things" in the tangible world.

I've actually seen ISFPs get sort of entrenched in their values like the ISFJ does, however -- especially if they're married to each other. ISFP attachment/morality though tends to be on a more individual basis, whereas ISFJ will have a sense of the way the world is "supposed to work" which incorporates roles/hats that people are plugged into and this determines how they should be behaving and what levels of commitment are dictated.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
ISFJ will have a sense of the way the world is "supposed to work" which incorporates roles/hats that people are plugged into and this determines how they should be behaving and what levels of commitment are dictated.

That doesn't sound like me, that is if i understand it properly

some of things you guys write are beyond my understanding, apparently

heart

heart on fire
My ISFP friend plans in the same way I do, to have some control over situations and to keep other people from pushing in too much on that control but she can flex when external situations (or her own mood or energy level at the time) require it and it doesn't upset her to do so, just draw up new plan.

To the ISFJ I know, it's a real downer for her if she has to change her plans, makes her anxious and unhappy.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That doesn't sound like me, that is if i understand it properly

some of things you guys write are beyond my understanding, apparently

You sound a little more ISFP than ISFJ. ISFJs are tuned into traditional authority structures--like most SJs, their internal monologues are governed largely by "should"s and "ought"s. This person should fulfill this role because that's how it's always been done (Si); I should adopt the standard social customs by being polite whenever possible (Fe), etc. etc.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
ISFJs are tuned into traditional authority structures--like most SJs, their internal monologues are governed largely by "should"s and "ought"s. This person should fulfill this role because that's how it's always been done (Si);

Yeah, that's not me at all

I should adopt the standard social customs by being polite whenever possible (Fe), etc. etc.

I try to be polite to strangers and in general to everyone(that i like of course), but not because it's a "standard social custom" though

nanook

a scream in a vortex
hate it or love it

Fi people are conservative or liberal. they want to be left alone but are willing to work hard on their own projects (families, farms, companies) to maintain their property and they expect their rights to be protected. do duties, get rights. society is expected to work, if everyone functions on his own. society is just a space. rules regulate that people don't get into each others way. everyone needs to be aware, that you need to leave people alone, so they can work according to their own will and creativity. they define their value depending on what they can achieve, no matter what this thing does for others. if they are not productive, they feel like failures. example: producing and selling products, that no one really needs but everyone desires. enhancing the social product. capitalism. for men: showing up their biceps. ISFj are actually FiSe people.

Fe people are actually hippies. they need to feel invited and are willing to go out of their way for sake of compatibility with what society need from them, but they expect to be integrated, meaning that a lot of their needs or potential needs are carried by society.
they could do without property if their basic needs are provided, but if their needs (ie for privacy, or playgrounds) are not seen and provided for, they want to hide from integration. society is expected to work out, if everyone is aware of what everyone needs. society is a collective activity for a common goal. in terms of value, Fe people tend to define them selves according to the context they are integrated to. they feel useless or even outlawed if they can't participate in something. example: communism. basic income model. for men: wearing eyeliner. ISFp are actually SiFe people.

(as usually intuitives (INF) are less integrated into society, so often even Fi intuitives seem to be on the hippie side, but that's only superficial misunderstanding. as soon as autonomous duties are poured on the individual (Fi likes that) or some liberties to be autonomous/self-serving are reduced for the sake of a communal interest (Fe are willing to go with that) the true faces will show up)

Last edited:

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
hate it or love it

Fi people are conservative or liberal. they want to be left alone but are willing to work hard on their own projects (families, farms, companies) to maintain their property and they expect their rights to be protected. do duties, get rights. society is expected to work, if everyone functions on his own. society is just a space. rules regulate that people don't get into each others way. everyone needs to be aware, that you need to leave people alone, so they can work according to their own will and creativity. they define their value depending on what they can achieve, no matter what this thing does for others. if they are not productive, they feel like failures. example: producing and selling products, that no one really needs but everyone desires. enhancing the social product. capitalism. for men: showing up their biceps. ISFj are actually FiSe people.

Fe people are actually hippies. they need to feel invited and are willing to go out of their way for sake of compatibility with what society need from them, but they expect to be integrated, meaning that a lot of their needs or potential needs are carried by society.
they could do without property if their basic needs are provided, but if their needs (ie for privacy, or playgrounds) are not seen and provided for, they want to hide from integration. society is expected to work out, if everyone is aware of what everyone needs. society is a collective activity for a common goal. in terms of value, Fe people tend to define them selves according to the context they are integrated to. they feel useless or even outlawed if they can't participate in something. example: communism. basic income model. for men: wearing eyeliner. ISFp are actually Fe people.

(as usually intuitives (INF) are less integrated into society, so often even Fi intuitives seem to be on the hippie side, but that's only superficial misunderstanding. as soon as autonomous duties are poured on the individual (Fi likes that) or some liberties to be autonomous/self-serving are reduced for the sake of a communal interest (Fe are willing to go with that) the true faces will show up)

The last one sounds more like me, but i've never considered myself a hippie (i don't really like that term).

I've thought alot about it since yesterday, and i'll have to ask if it is possible that i'm an ISFP, but due to the influence of my parents who are both J's(my mother is SJ and my father is also a J) , my J is well developed or something (regarding things like never being late etc.)

nanook

a scream in a vortex
my J is well developed or something (regarding things like never being late etc.)

you should not even think about that J/P crap. because A) its confusing and B) it's not necessary to know your type. knowing about Fe or Fi is the equivalent of the same question.

but while you are there: do you know what you want and how to get there and are disciplined, using your own schedules (maybe lists or you just know), to go step by step, determined. would you rather live a live, that developed some kind of career or builds something up like a family (or cat family). then you are "J" internally. and others will tend to imitate your schedule, or integrate themselves into yours.

or would you rather get lost in all sort of games or projects that don't change anything substantial in your live, unless you are forced by some external structure to stick to one thing. would you rather live a live, where nothing changes for how you work and where you are, but everything you do has a little purpose here and there for you or anyone or a family that integrates you and puts you in your place. then your "J" need to be provided by your psychosocial environment, and you self are "P".

Fe requires to be in time. Fi people would be late because they judge about their own schedule, and wont be judged by external schedule unless they are polite. or thinking types might be late for diverse reasons. or extroverted people are late, but introverted Fe people would be ashamed for sure. so this is not a consistent symptom for anything.

Snow Turtle

You sound a little more ISFP than ISFJ. ISFJs are tuned into traditional authority structures--like most SJs, their internal monologues are governed largely by "should"s and "ought"s. This person should fulfill this role because that's how it's always been done (Si); I should adopt the standard social customs by being polite whenever possible (Fe), etc. etc.

By that definition I'd be an ISFP. It really depends on the 'authority' that the ISFJ has adopted. I'd say that there are definitely rules and structures behind my behaviour however I wouldn't be so quick to claim that SFPs don't have this internal organisation either.

I'd avoid using Fe and Fi to define yourself as they can often overlap with each other easily, especially if they are working towards a common goal of benefiting humanity. Therefore I'd suggest it's much better to understand which function seems more natural for you.

Si or Se
What would you say is your biggest weakness?
What are you like with brainstorming? Like, Dislike or Neutral?
If someone suggested flying to another country for holiday in 2 days time. How would you react to such event?
Are you stressed out when internally disorganised?

PS. Nanooks is working with socionics which is a different system from MBTI. Personally I found it confusing as I couldn't tell whether I was INFj/INFp/ISFj/ISFp or even INTj/INTp. But that's beside the point, it might prove useful.

Requeim

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Si or Se
What would you say is your biggest weakness?
What are you like with brainstorming? Like, Dislike or Neutral?
If someone suggested flying to another country for holiday in 2 days time. How would you react to such event?
Are you stressed out when internally disorganised?

I couldn't tell you my biggest weakness just like that, there's alot of them
Brainstorming, hmm. Neutral i'd say, in school i think it is cool, but i usually don't contribute alot to them.
About the holiday thing, if it was someone really close to me who would ask (like my family) i would maybe do it. Otherwise no (i don't really like to travel)
I'm internally disorganised all the time, lol

you should not even think about that J/P crap. because A) its confusing and B) it's not necessary to know your type. knowing about Fe or Fi is the equivalent of the same question.

but while you are there: do you know what you want and how to get there and are disciplined, using your own schedules (maybe lists or you just know), to go step by step, determined. would you rather live a live, that developed some kind of career or builds something up like a family. then you are "J" internally. and others will tend to imitate your schedule, or integrate themselves into yours.

or would you rather get lost in all sort of games or projects that don't change anything substantial in your live, unless you are forced by some external structure to stick to one thing. would you rather live a live, where nothing changes for how you work and where you are, but everything you do has a little purpose here and there for you or anyone or a family that integrates you and puts you in your place. then your "J" need to be provided by your psychosocial environment, and you self are "P".

Fe requires to be in time. Fi people would be late because they judge about their own schedule, and wont be judged by external schedule unless they are polite. or thinking types might be late for diverse reasons. or extroverted people are late, but introverted Fe people would be ashamed for sure. so this is not a consistent symptom for anything.

It is important for me to know my type :devil:

anyway... I must be P then, the second part sounds alot more like me

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I couldn't tell you my biggest weakness just like that, there's alot of them
Brainstorming, hmm. Neutral i'd say, in school i think it is cool, but i usually don't contribute alot to them.
About the holiday thing, if it was someone really close to me who would ask (like my family) i would maybe do it. Otherwise no (i don't really like to travel)
I'm internally disorganised all the time, lol

It is important for me to know my type :devil:

anyway... I must be P then, the second part sounds alot more like me

Best guess at this point is definitely ISFP. Note that I'm using MBTI definitions here--under socionics, you would probably test ISFj, but that's not the same thing. I don't really know much about socionics so I won't comment further on it.

But as I said, everything you've said thus far seems to point to ISFP, in MBTI terms.

maliafee

Most ISFPs are also ISFps in socionics. That P/j flip is not accurate.

As for what type you really are, I would LOVE to try to V.I. (visual ID) you. Can you post a couple photos? Preferably of a neutral or natural face?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Y'know what would be interesting Malia? If you took the photos of the ISFPs on here and compared them and pointed out how their isfpness comes out visually.