• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or ENFP? ANOTHER confused person :)

Shelovesyoumaybe

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh my god, it's like reading a bio of myself. Good lord. You described me. (by the way, I read the whole thing. You're a natural, captivating writer.) You're such an INFP. Trust me. Of all MB types, INFP's have to question their type. They have to question why they've been labeled it, they have to question whether or not they answered the questions right, they have to question whether or not the test is a scam, then they let their mind wander to the creator of MB types, wondering what they looked like and creating a profile of that creator in their mind.

Also, you mentioned that you might be an asshole. Trust me, we all are. Even the ever so holy INFPs are. One wise member once told me to not read into the obvious "Mother Theresa" stereotyping of INFPs. Don't worry; most INFPs aren't holy. at all.

On another note, someone said they couldn't believe someone could disclose so much info online. What that person doesn't realize is that writing is such a natural, enjoyed thing for INFPs. We might not be famous journalists, but we thrive on writing out their random ramblings and feelings. Your post(s) fascinated me. I wasn't bored by them at all - because they look exactly like some of my own posts on another board. I would bet anything that not many (if any) INFPs would say the equivalent of what you posted, in real life. It's hard for us to communicate on that level in real life.

Anyhoo, I'm rambling again. *forshame*
PM sometime and we'll hold longest-PM-ever contests. ;)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Oh my god, it's like reading a bio of myself. Good lord. You described me. (by the way, I read the whole thing. You're a natural, captivating writer.) You're such an INFP. Trust me. Of all MB types, INFP's have to question their type. They have to question why they've been labeled it, they have to question whether or not they answered the questions right, they have to question whether or not the test is a scam, then they let their mind wander to the creator of MB types, wondering what they looked like and creating a profile of that creator in their mind.

Also, you mentioned that you might be an asshole. Trust me, we all are. Even the ever so holy INFPs are. One wise member once told me to not read into the obvious "Mother Theresa" stereotyping of INFPs. Don't worry; most INFPs aren't holy. at all.

On another note, someone said they couldn't believe someone could disclose so much info online. What that person doesn't realize is that writing is such a natural, enjoyed thing for INFPs. We might not be famous journalists, but we thrive on writing out their random ramblings and feelings. Your post(s) fascinated me. I wasn't bored by them at all - because they look exactly like some of my own posts on another board. I would bet anything that not many (if any) INFPs would say the equivalent of what you posted, in real life. It's hard for us to communicate on that level in real life.

Anyhoo, I'm rambling again. *forshame*
PM sometime and we'll hold longest-PM-ever contests. ;)
I agree with all of the above. The whole self-questioning factor is so INFP. We tend to really overthink everything. This reminds me of a multiple choice behaviour test I once took online. I remember one of the questions was something along the lines of, "Have you been trying to figure out each of these questions and which are the appropriate and expected answers?" :doh: :yes:

Oh and I'm a total asshole too. :devil: I have serious rage problems at times - its just that almost all of it goes on in my head. And I often feel guilty for being apathetic at times. No Mother Theresa here.

Also I'm a complete rambler :D. I agree with what Unique said.

SpaZZakaZZ

MBTI Type
INFP

I think you mean where I said, Would an INFP post journal entries for everyone to read? I was just throwing it out as something to think about. I've heard the Self Disclosure thing where INFPs aren't supposed to like giving out personal information so I wondered if it meant something. I definitely agree I would not be talking like this in real life :D I've said little, if any, of this to a real person ever. But have 11 years worth of writing.
It's nice to know there are a couple of people on here who identify with some of what I've said. I feel less crazy now :woot:

SpaZZakaZZ

MBTI Type
INFP
Have you ever read a SolitaryWalker post?

:rofl1: I've tried his posts and my eyes glazed over. That's who I was talking about here :)
That's interesting. I'm completely interested in the posts on here where people are talking about how they think and behave, no matter how long they are. I've been going around reading them all. I actually sometimes wish people would talk about that kind of thing in real life, and I could just sit there listening to them without having to comment. With a little pause button so I could stop to process then start them up again.
The only post I brushed off as too long was all about someone trying to explain and define what each type is and it was kinda boring.
Wonder what that means?

SpaZZakaZZ

MBTI Type
INFP
I agree with all of the above. The whole self-questioning factor is so INFP. We tend to really overthink everything. This reminds me of a multiple choice behaviour test I once took online. I remember one of the questions was something along the lines of, "Have you been trying to figure out each of these questions and which are the appropriate and expected answers?" :doh: :yes:

Oh and I'm a total asshole too. :devil: I have serious rage problems at times - its just that almost all of it goes on in my head. And I often feel guilty for being apathetic at times. No Mother Theresa here.

Also I'm a complete rambler :D. I agree with what Unique said.

Agree with all of your above :yes:
When you took that multiple choice test did you go, "Noooooooo it can read my mind!!" lol

ladyinspring

MBTI Type
INFP
"No Sweat", a shoe company that make imitation Converse sneakers without using sweatshops

Thank you so much for introducing me to this company.

Also, I really enjoyed reading my thoughts in print like that. Saved me the trouble of putting it all together myself. If I could, I would take everything you said line by line and just agree really really hard. I laughed with delight several times.

If you had a blog I would read it. Even if you only remembered to update it every few months or so.

Also, have you ever read this poem by Oriah Mountain Dreamer?

The Invitation

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living.
I want to know what you ache for
and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.

It doesn't interest me how old you are.
I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool
for love
for your dream
for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon...
I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow
if you have been opened by life's betrayals
or have become shrivelled and closed
from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain
mine or your own
without moving to hide it
or fade it
or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy
mine or your own
if you can dance with wildness
and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes
without cautioning us to
be careful
be realistic
remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me
is true.
I want to know if you can
disappoint another
to be true to yourself.
If you can bear the accusation of betrayal
and not betray your own soul.
If you can be faithless
and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see Beauty
even when it is not pretty
every day.
And if you can source your own life
from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure
yours and mine
and still stand at the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon,
"Yes."

It doesn't interest me
to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up
after the night of grief and despair
weary and bruised to the bone
and do what needs to be done
to feed the children.

It doesn't interest me who you know
or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand
in the centre of the fire
with me
and not shrink back.

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom
you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you
from the inside
when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone
with yourself
and if you truly like the company you keep
in the empty moments.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
SpaZZ,

Thank you for taking the time and courage to be so open about yourself. I usually don't take the effort to read posts that are that long, but I sat with a piece of paper and took notes on your essay so that I could make an appropriate response, and trust me - I don't do that very often.

Let me say: I'm an ENFP with very balanced functions, as you can see from my signature. That being said my Ne overrides pretty much everything else, which definitely puts me in the ENFP category v. INFP. However, I do believe we have several similarities and some differences, which I'd like to point out to help you clarify the matter.

I don't know why I have this sense of importance, but I'm going with my gut and basically making a list of what I consider to be similarities and differences so that you can see things from an ENFP perspective.

SIMILARITIES

- Need a plan constructed by myself that provides guidelines but provides room for change if necessary

- Don't like to be stuck in a place I don't want to be

- Dislike and disdain for constricting rules and regulations that hampers effectiveness and creativity (except with close friends)

- Paradox: believe and hope for the best, but have an ominous lack of ease that causes me to develop multiple plans and 'what if' scenarios

- Try to make a safe, secure environment for people to open up in

- Like to broaden my horizons, view new chances, learn new things

- Hate talking about trivial shit, except making up crazy imaginative stories

- Love cleanliness and order - if restricted, must know exactly what's up

- Imagination is the key - leapfrog thinking - jumping mind that gets impatient at other people's lack of drive or initiative

- Noticing a lack of ambition or initiative or effectiveness causes me to take control of a situation and appear arrogant or bossy without intending to. Keep the ball rolling. Make decisions.

- Love information and theories if they help the mosaic to fit in place

- People should make their wants/needs clear or stop bitching.

- Repetitive tasks are annoying if I have to focus on small detail-oriented work. Mindless tasks help me to 'zone out' or 'dream' or just make my mind 'black'.

- Strange memories jump into my mind at random, as do random books and movies, which make people look rather askew.

- Avoided people as a youth, mainly because I did not/could not connect with them on the level I'd imagined.

- Also love spending time alone to recharge because I expend so much energy to others (attention, etc.) when with people.

- Being with cool people regenerates me, however. People who 'share my heart' as you said or are 'comfortable' or that you can empathize with. Want to share feelings and experiences. Energy outward, like you said.

- Want to meet new people and experience new things, even if only once.

- Also tried to convince myself I'd rather be alone because it's easier and less conflict, but realized I cannot do that.

- Not into socializing and talking about the weather (barf) or new cars and other trivial baloney - get really excited about talking about things I like, where I can blow people down with enthusiasm when they actually thought I was introverted.

- Also loved dressing up in high heels at home as a kid and still love it. HAH

- Hold back and often feel guilty if I express too much (yeah, I'll probably delete this soon).

However, there are some differences I'd like to point out!

DIFFERENCES

- Not offended by red tape, just annoyed at the lack of efficiency and the unnecessary difficulties that could be solved much more easily.

- I tend to be very professional and quite distanced in a professional environment. For example, I dress in blouses and skirts or pants, much more formally than most others, even if I don't have to. I don't socialize with my colleagues. However, my classes are strict and difficult but in a caring, easy atmosphere where I like to ENGAGE my students to think for themselves and ENCOURAGE them to find their own potential and LOVE what they do. My goal is to INSPIRE others to find GREATNESS in themselves.

- Need much more security and structure than you do. Must have a clear plan. My diary is my best friend. (Might be tertiary Te).

- Get more pissed off at restrictions and little problems rather than seeing them as road bumps; on the other hand, I see huge problems as challenges. This leads to the phenomenon of my tackling a 20-hour project in two days or being the strength of the family in a death situation, but blowing my top in half over little shit most people don't care about.

- Ideas don't have to be practical to be awesome. If they are practical, though, cool shit! (Though someone might have to wake me up that there IS a practical application).

- Not a crusader like you are.

- LOVE interacting with others, as long as they aren't pedantic, boring, or stifling assholes.

- HATE drugs. No way. Uh-uh. No go.

- Not so hippy-dippy love flower-power, no offense.

- Working space MUST BE ORGANIZED.

- Am interested in all theories, those that challenge me and those that support me.

- Can make group decisions - have a take-over problem, though I've become better at this (although for the same reason - EFFICIENCY - damn it stop talking and get something done you fools! In high school I was especially BAD at this, telling everyone, okay, folks, just give it to me).

- I tend to be more indirect than you. So you tell people - THIS THAT - I'm more subtle, generally, though not online, because it's more impersonal.

- As a child, I was more caught up in the moment, but not nowadays.

- Big choices ARE decisions - and ones that plague me. Paradox: I want an answer and a solution NOW, but I don't want to be HAMPERED by it.

- DON'T love the tribe. Couldn't care less.

- BUSHDOOFS???? Hellz no.

- Don't like physical work. I avoid it like the plague.

- Not so sensory perceptive as you are.

- Also like sharing problems.

Hope this helps.