• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type my best guy friend

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to guess ENFJ maybe...? I'm not any good at typing people...

Here we go:

- He strongly dislikes jock, meat-head types, but likes to watch football, however, he tends to take on the interests of his friends....like he started watching Lost because his friends are into it, but then he told me he finds it boring when I said I don't like it...?
- Will agree with whoever is around him, whether he really feels that way or not (ie. He has said he likes art & will go to galleries with me, but I overheard him say he's not into art when someone told him they dislike art & think it is stupid).
- Not into playing competitive sports, but enjoys stuff like rock climbing
- Hates working out or anything that seems like exercise
- Generally likes animals, except for cats
- Doesn't value aesthetics much, dresses poorly without help, but can appreciate my style & will compliment what I wear
- Shaves his hair off cuz he cannot be bothered to fix it
- Has a messy apartment
- Loves music... used to be into death metal stuff, then had a oi punk phase, and now likes a lot of classic rock and some irish pub punk sounding music (whatever it's called....?)
- Is very into his religion & has strict morals that he was raised with, but went through a rebellious phase where he questioned & rejected everything and got into drugs/alcohol....has cleaned up since.
- He acknowledges that phase was partly due to the heavy influence of a manipulative friend of his.
- Loves kids, very much wants to be a father, and often dates women with kids.
- Claims to be a big flirt, and is very complimenting; he was the only little boy I knew who would tell a girl his own age she was pretty (he never had the "girls are gross" phase).
- Comments on women's looks constantly, not in a gross or degrading way, but ALWAYS has to acknowledge when a woman within 100 yards is remotely attractive...this has been an issue with girls he has dated, but he's still oblivious to the problem.
- Gets annoyed when women gush over other guys, even celebrities.
- When we were kids he loved MY imagination....he would always want me to make up stuff for us to play, and he'd think it was the greatest thing ever.
- Is very into his ethnic background (Irish).
- Dislikes typical guy action movies, and actually likes old classics with Audrey Hepburn, but again, if his friends are really into something, he will go along with it.
- Likes to read literature, especially things involving conspiracy or that are very symbolic. Stuff like Brave New World or Heart of Darkness.
- Can get very depressed & even has been suicidal, despite a happy-go-lucky face presented to the world.
- Opens up to me about his feelings, but I don't get the impression he does that with just anyone (we are very old, close friends)...He can get very emotional when talking about something that bothers or excites him.
- When he is in love with a new gf, he's the kind who has to call everyone up & announce it and will even consider eloping with her after dating just a few weeks (good thing the girl is always more realistic :D).
- Is very frugal, to the point of being stingy (never pays for girls he dates).
- Has a lot of female friends, and is very close to them without it getting romantic.
- Says he is shy, but he is always texting people, and spends a lot of time with friends. It seems he hangs out with a friend nearly everyday.
- Does seem to need time away from people & hates crowds, but again, seems to not be able to go long without being in contact with people. He says living alone got old very fast.
- Makes casual friends relatively easily as long as he doesn't have a mental block about them. Can make quick negative judgments about people.
- Does the ENFJ thing of focusing on the person who has just arrived, even if they are less "important"....ie. When I visited him once, after not seeing him in person for 2 years, he invited his local friends over to meet me, and they all ignored me until I was almost in tears, but then he focused only on me once he realized I was upset. Before that, we had gone out to eat after he picked me up from the airport & we ran into a couple he is friends with, and so he invited them to eat with us and spent the entire time asking them about what they've been up to, when he sees them every week and hadn't seen me in 2 years.
- Is very book smart, but can lack "common sense"....did very well in math & science in HS, and has good vocab/grammar.
- Can drive recklessly....has totaled several cars...says he was just not paying enough attention.
- Is either witty or silly, and likes verbal sparring, but in a playful way
- Likes Monty Python kind of humor

So what'cha think?

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
The only thing I got for sure is F.. lol
I'm thinking ENFJ maybe ENFP

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I'll be honest - When I was reading through it, I was getting the impression that he's ESFP, but then I read some of the last few points, and they sounded more ENFP. The apparent relatively high Fi level indicates ExFP, so that doesn't help. If I had to pick one, I'd say ENFP.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see him as an ESFP. I'm pretty sure my sister is one, and she loves to be the center of attention and to "perform", and they just seem very different.
I know people are individuals and not types, but I know him so well and reading the ESFP descriptions does not make me go "that's him!".
He does not like to be the center of attention for one thing. I think he's an extrovert who prefers small groups or one-on-one. Like I said, he HATES crowds.

I was thinking ENFJ, but maybe ENFP is a better fit. ESFJ doesn't seem too bad a fit either. I think he may be an N just because we communicate so well, and I often struggle to communicate with sensors.

I forgot to mention he reads & writes poetry. It seems like his real interests and feelings that he does not openly share tend to be stuff an N would be drawn to.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Well you obviously know him better than me, but from your description, I just don't see much J in him.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well you obviously know him better than me, but from your description, I just don't see much J in him.

No, I see what you mean...from what I wrote it he seems more P. I could see him being an ENFP too.

Since I don't live by him anymore, I cannot say how structured he is. He seems like a planner and is very decisive. When I waver back & forth about where to go to eat (I can never make up my damn mind), he's just like "Let's eat here" and that is that.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
NFJs aren't like the common idea of J.. SJs being hard working/organized because that's the way things are supposed to be. TJs being hard working/organized because that's what creates the best circumstances for the self. NFJs are hard working in the sense that they want to help others because of Fe and don't have as much of the traditional attitude because of Ni.

Also I think him changing his view point to accommodate people is typical of FeNi and shows lack of Ji making ENFP less likely.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
NFJs aren't like the common idea of J.. SJs being hard working/organized because that's the way things are supposed to be. TJs being hard working/organized because that's what creates the best circumstances for the self. NFJs are hard working in the sense that they want to help others because of Fe and don't have as much of the traditional attitude because of Ni.

Also I think him changing his view point to accommodate people is typical of FeNi and shows lack of Fi making ENFP less likely.

I agree with that. I see Fe in him, not Fi.
So back to ENFJ?
I haven't totally ruled him out as a sensor yet...maybe I am taking his personal interests too seriously.

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I haven't totally ruled him out as a sensor yet...maybe I am taking his personal interests too seriously.

maybe you are, but who cares? I'm guilty of it way too often. :doh:

- Will agree with whoever is around him, whether he really feels that way or not (ie. He has said he likes art & will go to galleries with me, but I overheard him say he's not into art when someone told him they dislike art & think it is stupid).
- Doesn't value aesthetics much, dresses poorly without help, but can appreciate my style & will compliment what I wear
- Shaves his hair off cuz he cannot be bothered to fix it
- Has a messy apartment
- Likes to read literature, especially things involving conspiracy or that are very symbolic. Stuff like Brave New World or Heart of Darkness.
- Can drive recklessly....has totaled several cars...says he was just not paying enough attention.

I can't see an ESFJ doing most of these things or is typical of N, and I don't see any stand out S traits.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Soooo....ENFJ it is?
That was my first guess anyway :tongue:

maliafee

ENFJ seems very right to me. There is this thing I've noticed about ENFJ's where they can have a hard time dressing stylishly but they know good style when they see it on other people, especially if it's dramatic. Hope I'm not offending any ENFJ's by mentioning this.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ENFJ seems very right to me. There is this thing I've noticed about ENFJ's where they can have a hard time dressing stylishly but they know good style when they see it on other people, especially if it's dramatic. Hope I'm not offending any ENFJ's by mentioning this.

Yes! I have one other ENFJ friend who is the same way :D