• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or ISFJ?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I don't think your interest in history has anything to do with Ni vs Si dominant. In fact I think interest in general is a poor way to type.

Perhaps you should focus more on your thought patterns. How do you organize your thoughts? Si tends to be quite systematic... emphasis on chronological sequencing of events. Ni goes more by "relationships". Object has this set of properties and other things that are similar gets lumped together in one thought. Time is but one variable... which is often neglected.

S

Sniffles

Easiest way to tell::
Do you notice things around you?

Yes and no. One example would be one incident when I was supposed to meet some friends at the movie theater. I was so deep in contemplation that I walked right past them. They literally had to shout at me before I noticed them. This happens quite frequently whenever I'm deep in thought about something.

Example:
If some one said "Did you see her dress?" and you were like :shock:?
That would mean you're Ni dom.
Or if some one was relying on you to give a physical description of a person or enviroment at a crime scene and you were like :thinking:?
That would mean you're Ni dom

Yes actually this happens quite alot. When I was injured at work a few days ago I had to fill out reports describing what happened. It was real torture figuring out what to write and giving descriptions in details, even though the incident happened only a few hours before.

In fact I constantly have this problem at work; where they expect me to pay attention to precise details. Sometimes I overly focus on them, but more often I'm largely oblivious to them.

S

Sniffles

I don't think your interest in history has anything to do with Ni vs Si dominant. In fact I think interest in general is a poor way to type.

Perhaps you should focus more on your thought patterns. How do you organize your thoughts? Si tends to be quite systematic... emphasis on chronological sequencing of events. Ni goes more by "relationships". Object has this set of properties and other things that are similar gets lumped together in one thought. Time is but one variable... which is often neglected.

By this description I'm definately Ni. I have a hard time, even when dealing with historical events, in determining exact chronology of events. I literally have to put dates next to my journal entries in order to keep better track of this - as one example.

I've pretty much lost my ability to remember dates, I always need to look them up. That's why ancient history is a pain for me. Only from the late 18th century onwards do I have any real knowledge of dates. Before that time, it's only approximate.

I certainly love history, but I do notice my approach to it is very different to many other history buffs - especially more Sensor type ones. I know from personal experience. They can rant off all sorts of precise detailed facts about historical events that literally make my head spin. :shock:

My approach to history is more "philosophical" for lack of a better term. I'm more interested in discussing the meaning behind various events and people, not just what happened. For me, understanding history(or even facts in general) is actually more important than merely knowing it.

invaderzim

MBTI Type
INFJ
In fact I constantly have this problem at work; where they expect me to pay attention to precise details. Sometimes I overly focus on them, but more often I'm largely oblivious to them.

I do stuff like this too.:yes: I figure if i've seen it once, i've seen it hundred times. But then I end up missing stuff.

And not being able to remember dates seems about right because its like data. Your mind probably works better with concepts.

S

Sniffles

And not being able to remember dates seems about right because its like data. Your mind probably works better with concepts.

Yes that sounds about right. On a related note, when reading biographies; I'm far more interested in reading about what kind of person they were as opposed to merely what they did. I'm always disappointed in biographies that don't give good give descriptions of the person's character. :steam:

maliafee

I'm no INFJ. Nor JFK either. However, basing this only off experiencing one true to core INFJ in real life (my brother), you're a bit off with this. INFJ are the least vengeful. They come off that way over and over again because of our behavior around them, in contrast with their personality, is repetitious (over and over again). Like we didn't learn anything from the last experience. Making them feel like a mystery. They announce what they do for others by the way we finally realize our stupidity around them. It's us who announce what they've done for us to ourselves. When we finally accept our redundancy. Until then, somewhere deep in our subconscious, those voices will keep saying 'INFJs are vengeful because they announce what they do for others'

No.

INFJs can be very vengeful. I've known them to actually exact the revenge, too... I get along well with INFJs and know several. They have told me their revenge fantasies personally, and I've seen a couple played out.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
No.

INFJs can be very vengeful. I've known them to actually exact the revenge, too... I get along well with INFJs and know several. They have told me their revenge fantasies personally, and I've seen a couple played out.

Then why still hang out with'em?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No.

Seriously? I can't relate to this at all. Seems extremely immature.

maliafee

Seriously? Why hang out with them? I love them. They're so interesting and enjoyable. They really care. I'm not stating a terribly negative fact about them; it's just something that happens. If you don't identify with this personally, I guess you're really, really special. :D

P.S. I don't have to worry about them being vengeful with me because they love me too much. I never make 'em mad. :wink:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll venture a thought or two -- I think you study history to learn about people and their motivations and how they play out. It is an INFJ who is likely to have visions of human events past, present, or future/

I think a strong J could easily account for your well-constructed, definite viewpoint. You have a perfect vision of how things could be if we all did our best.

And I think the fact that you surprise people who thought they knew you well is textbook INFJ.
People who have known an INFJ for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise.

Also, INFJ's personality comes out stronger in writing than otherwise. We're more apt to argue points on a forum than in person, unless we find someone extremely like-minded, which is rare.

So I don't see the S, personally.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I certainly love history, but I do notice my approach to it is very different to many other history buffs - especially more Sensor type ones. I know from personal experience. They can rant off all sorts of precise detailed facts about historical events that literally make my head spin. :shock:

My approach to history is more "philosophical" for lack of a better term. I'm more interested in discussing the meaning behind various events and people, not just what happened. For me, understanding history(or even facts in general) is actually more important than merely knowing it.
I think you've just answered your own question. You were correctly typed as INFJ. :)

Really? I don't see myself this way at all. The "idea" of revenge as in they should get what they deserve sometimes crosses my mind. But this is a different type of "revenge" as is commonly associated with the word. The description for INFJ includes "the desire for poetic justice", which is a good way of phrasing this. But few of us will actually deliberately set out to carry out revenge. There's a difference between the thought and action.

I've been known to set-up a noose for somebody to hang themselves on... but I always let the person do his own hanging. :devil:

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not stating a terribly negative fact about them; it's just something that happens.

Oh, but it is a negative fact opinion. No need to back-pedal if it is indeed yours. I just object to the translation of an individual's personal experience into blanket fact. (It is tough to avoid! I fall prey to it myself as does any individual who can discern personal, immediate trends.)

For example, I know a number of abusive and emotionally warped ESFJs. However, I'm skeptical enough to consider the following: A) they are unhealthy therefore poor representatives of the type B) they are individuals and as Jung said himself "Every individual is an exception to the rule." AND C) that my personal prejudices may cloud my objectivity, much as I desire it at times. --I doubt the dysfunction in the two or three ESFJs I know is a type testimonial.

If you don't identify with this personally, I guess you're really, really special. :D

Sarcasm noted, however some members not identifying with your personal brand of type differentiation does not equate group-type denial.

P.S. I don't have to worry about them being vengeful with me because they love me too much. I never make 'em mad. :wink:

It's my personal opinion that passive-aggression served à la the casual quip or back-handed compliment does not encourage productive community discussion (although maybe some laughs) and is rarely received well (Unless you're an NT! They thrive on verbal sparring. <---Note irony of stereotype usage. :newwink:) in a context where tone can be so hard to interpret (Cue the contrarian INFx who objects for personal reasons :doh:) ...which leads me back to the real topic at hand.

Peguy sir, I think you're soundly an INFJ. You may even be close to balanced on your S/N preference, but I'd still bet that you're an INFJ. Look at how much you like to discuss the possibilities that you may or may not be INFJ. :laugh: But ultimately, you know you best ja?

maliafee

Then why still hang out with'em?

Seriously? I can't relate to this at all. Seems extremely immature.

Oh, but it is a negative fact opinion. No need to back-pedal if it is indeed yours. I just object to the translation of an individual's personal experience into blanket fact. (It is tough to avoid! I fall prey to it myself as does any individual who can discern personal, immediate trends.)

For example, I know a number of abusive and emotionally warped ESFJs. However, I'm skeptical enough to consider the following: A) they are unhealthy therefore poor representatives of the type B) they are individuals and as Jung said himself "Every individual is an exception to the rule." AND C) that my personal prejudices may cloud my objectivity, much as I desire it at times. --I doubt the dysfunction in the two or three ESFJs I know is a type testimonial.

Sarcasm noted, however some members not identifying with your personal brand of type differentiation does not equate group-type denial.

It's my personal opinion that passive-aggression served à la the casual quip or back-handed compliment does not encourage productive community discussion (although maybe some laughs) and is rarely received well (Unless you're an NT! They thrive on verbal sparring. <---Note irony of stereotype usage. :newwink:) in a context where tone can be so hard to interpret (Cue the contrarian INFx who objects for personal reasons :doh:) ...which leads me back to the real topic at hand.

Peguy sir, I think you're soundly an INFJ. You may even be close to balanced on your S/N preference, but I'd still bet that you're an INFJ. Look at how much you like to discuss the possibilities that you may or may not be INFJ. :laugh: But ultimately, you know you best ja?

I actually wasn't being that sarcastic!

I mean it. If you're not vengeful ever, you must be unique and wonderful. I am not being facetious.

However, if people can't take a joke, forgive me for living! <--sarcastic.

maliafee

All that said, ISFJ's have arms like
<---------------- that guy. If you have those arms you're probably an ISFJ. If not, you're something else. ;-)

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
If by vengeful you mean they want to exact "Poetic Justice" due to people who've done wrong towards others and even themselves (after a higher breaking point), then, yes, I agree.

It's not something done out of mere spite either. Small stuff is let go or left to fantasies. Even the big ones can be left to fantasies.

Taken from Typelogic INFJ Profile:

INFJs are champions of the oppressed and downtrodden. They often are found in the wake of an emergency, rescuing those who are in acute distress. INFJs may fantasize about getting revenge on those who victimize the defenseless. The concept of 'poetic justice' is appealing to the INFJ.

Is that what you mean, maliafee?

It's not only "revenge" in that what they're doing is done for self-satisfaction, it's done b/c it's seen as justice. Acted out when they feel it's absolutely required of them to do so. It's not always a 'direct' assault either, especially if tact is needed. It's not vindictively done (unless ofc they're unbalanced people). Especially with regards to other people who have been wronged in their eyes. Perhaps "avenge" is better. The INFJs you speak of that acted on their 'revenge' didn't do them over petty issues, did they?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually wasn't being that sarcastic!

I mean it. If you're not vengeful ever, you must be unique and wonderful. I am not being facetious.

However, if people can't take a joke, forgive me for living! <--sarcastic.

So you intended to say the bolded? Perhaps, but you didn't.

Is it possible that your sarcasm is disguising a lingering annoyance? I know there's always a kernel of truth to my "jokes." Well, usually anyway.

And much as I'd like to continue the clarification process, I suspect scant benefit and even less courtesy to the OP. I feel badly yet again for contributing to Peguy's thread derail. Sorry again 'guy; I'm done interrupting.

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz
K. New track. Aside from pimping out Lenore Thompson's most excellent book regarding Type and functional theory (I've read reviews that it's not a beginner's book but eh), here's a good site to check out: Best-Fit-Type.

ISFJ
INFJ

INFJ On A Team
ISFJ On A Team

Interaction Styles:
Chart The Course (INFJ is Forseer Developer)
Behind The Scenes (ISFJ is Protector Suporter)

Take a looksie, even at other types if neither work for you now, and tell us what you think. Anyone else for that matter is invited to as well.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not stating a terribly negative fact about them; it's just something that happens. If you don't identify with this personally, I guess you're really, really special. :D

This isn't a fact, let's be blunt about that.

When it comes to revenge, it's only in my head that it actually takes place, if that. I can't remember a time when I've actually exacted revenge on someone. The most vengeful I've been is with past lovers, and that just came down to not warning them and delighting in knowing if/when they were about to step into a pit of quicksand.

I must wonder if those you've typed as INFJ are actually INFJ. It wouldn't be the first time someone has mistyped another or themselves as INFJ.

---
Peguy, do you by any chance have a military background?

S

Sniffles

Peguy, do you by any chance have a military background?

I tried volunteering a few weeks after 9/11 but I was declared unfit for duty due to health issues. It certainly was a deep blow, and at times I'm still dealing with it.

Although one prominent military historian, John Keegan, was also declared unfit for duty because of health reasons. So I guess I'm in good company here.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I can definitely say you seem very J. ;)
Otherwise it's hard to figure out if you are INFJ or ISFJ.
What about functions?
Si Fe Ti
Ni Fe Ti

It's figuring out if you fit Ni or Si better.