• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFJ or ISFJ?

S

Sniffles

iwakar may have made a good point that perhaps I have highly developed S or even Si specifically, which at times can give off the impression of me being ISFJ.

I see that Robert E. Lee is classifed as ISFJ, and to me that seems very signficiant. I have great respect for Lee as a soldier and a gentleman, and can relate to those qualities very much.

However in studies Ive read comparing him to his rival Grant, Lee was more the master tactican while Grant was more the strategist. In layman's terms: Lee knew how to win battles, while Grant knew how to win the war. Lee's focus was limited to his one area of operation, Grant's was concentrating on the war as a whole.

I've always remarked that I'm far more a strategist than a tactician. Even more so, I find myself most interested in matters related to"Grand strategy" which as the link explains involves the "movement and use of an entire nation state or empire's resources" to achieve victory in warfare. So not just the deployment and movements of armies, but also organization of the economy, and of course matters of foreign policy as well.

In other words: I place my primary focus on the big picture.

maliafee

So you intended to say the bolded? Perhaps, but you didn't.

No, I didn't intend to say that. I said it in my second post, though. In my first post, I said "really, really special." I thought I was being cute (obviously not)...

Don't be touchy with ME, because, because...

well, I won't do a damn thing actually. :hug:

Is it possible that your sarcasm is disguising a lingering annoyance? I know there's always a kernel of truth to my "jokes." Well, usually anyway.

Not really. Maybe we haven't been formally introduced. I'm an ISFP. Just so you know, we typically see people's various qualities for what they are... various qualities. We don't sit around and stew over somebody's personality trait or tendency. It's interesting to me, if anything. Then again, I don't think about it much (ever, really) until it is brought up by other people.

One more thing: I know some people hate hearing negative things about their type or themselves, and those things may be true or NOT, but MBTI is not just for observation, it's for growth, and part of that is accepting certain uncomfortable truths. I don't see vengeance as a huge problem, but apparently others seem to. If I were vengeful, I might admit it. In fact, as an ISFP, I see it as a strength. I feel a little foolish sometimes for forgiving too easily and getting stepped on by people.

G

Glycerine

No, I didn't intend to say that. I said it in my second post, though. In my first post, I said "really, really special." I thought I was being cute (obviously not)...

Don't be touchy with ME, because, because...

well, I won't do a damn thing actually. :hug:

Not really. Maybe we haven't been formally introduced. I'm an ISFP. Just so you know, we typically see people's various qualities for what they are... various qualities. We don't sit around and stew over somebody's personality trait or tendency. It's interesting to me, if anything. Then again, I don't think about it much (ever, really) until it is brought up by other people.

One more thing: I know some people hate hearing negative things about their type or themselves, and those things may be true or NOT, but MBTI is not just for observation, it's for growth, and part of that is accepting certain uncomfortable truths. I don't see vengeance as a huge problem, but apparently others seem to. If I were vengeful, I might admit it. In fact, as an ISFP, I see it as a strength. I feel a little foolish sometimes for forgiving too easily and getting stepped on by people.

Well, as an INFJ, your description didn't describe me at all so I guess making it sound like they were FACTS could be considered offensive to some. I think I am well aware of my negative traits and those that you pointed out didn't sound like me or the other INFJs I know. It just seems more like a a backhanded compliment than anything else.

Snow Turtle

INFJ or INTJ. Personally I don't get much of an ISFJ vibe from the posts on this thread, and I generally don't get the impression of meeting a similar kin. Then again... that might just be due to a difference in interests as I've felt similar to other INFJs before.

I'd like to point out though...

ISFJs usually have little interest in history unless it's personal. In fact it could be argued that it's their least favourite subject. Personally I haven't found value in history but that might be different for others.

We do operate on a past is the key to the future. :D

Lastly if we're going on the basis that conservative views is SJ. My NF/SFs friend would be shocked by some of my values regarding asexuality, incest, polyamory and so fourth. My strange ideas motivated by spirtuality, philosophy and psychology. However there's one major factor behind searching for all these meaning and knowledge. It's how it can be related to me, and how I can apply it to my reality. Your interest in history doesn't seem to be along that line.

ISTJs seem to be different in that regard though. They seem more accommodating of things that aren't practical to them, as long as they are interested in it.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It just seems more like a a backhanded compliment than anything else.

Agreed.

You say that INFJs are one of your favorite types but it seems you jump at the chance to say something negative about them.

It also seemed as if you were saying ISFJs are completely selfless while INFJs are more on the selfish side. That may have been your experience, but that has not been mine. To be honest, ISFJs were not my favorite type when I first learned about MBTI as my experiences with them were not the best. But I don't think it would be accurate or "right" to state my opinion on ISFJs as fact and tell those that disagreed with me that they are in denial.

----

ISFJs usually have little interest in history unless it's personal. In fact it could be argued that it's their least favourite subject. Personally I haven't found value in history but that might be different for others.

Yes, I think it depends on the person. I have two ISFJ friends that are very interested in history and one is getting a PhD in history. And then there are others who are not particularly interested in the subject.

Peguy, I just see a very strong J in your posts, but nothing stands out as SJ to me.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Feelers are so weird.

What's all this fuss about?

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I pop in once in a while.

Usually I get scared away by all the emoting.

S

Sniffles

There was a few points I wanted to address here:

But from the posts I've read of yours, you seem to be less apt to go off onto tangents. More of a straight line of thought, without too many embellishments or random linkages. Language is not overly colorful (this isn't a bad thing, just something I have noticed), it is direct and more to the point.

There's also more of a formality about you.

Well as has been stated, that could be because of a strong J on my part. However, I will state that I try to formalise my thoughts far more when trying to present them to the outside world. Seriously, I'll spend extra minutes trying to reorganize, edit, etc. my posts and writing to make them more clear for others to read.

I'll certainly assure you that's not how they originally come out or even how they're processed within my head. My journals are nothing but random fragments and tangents. I rather like Chesterton's analogy to a vast uncataloged library for what's stored in my mind. :D

I was also reading the one thread concerning ISFJs and INFJs, and somebody noted that ISFJs are far more in tune with everyday affairs than INFJs. I certainly can believe and would also further show that I'm INFJ; since I'm often completely lost when it comes to such.

As I noted in another thread:
I can focus deeply into the future, yet in my day-to-day affairs I can't even plan for next week often(not to mention my job operates on a day-to-day basis). *sigh*

I even commented in my blog how much more at home I am in the realm of contemplation than I am in the everyday world. Yet as I also insisted, it's not that I reject the world per se, but rather seek to affirm and understand it from a higher perspective. As I concluded: "The contrast I find between my everyday affairs and my contemplative side are overwhelming at times. I'm often confused as to how the two even fit together into my life."

Just my two cents. :)