User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Analyze this.

  1. #11
    Member SpaghettiMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Wow, I've never seen the universe come to a consensus so quickly. Thanks a lot guys! RAmen.

    Having said that though, I took the temperament test and got SP, followed by NT. I always test either as an ENTP or ISTP. I was pretty much nodding my head throughout the entire ENTP description but I started reading the ISTP one and came across this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by ISTP
    I have only a few close friends that I really see a lot. Yet people have seen me as someone very lively and talkative. Thatís the part of me that likes life to be an adventure.
    That to me is a perfect description of how I am. I've always thought that I was an I, only to have 525 600 people go, "No, you're definitely an E!" I'm dating an ENTP, and to me we seem very different so it didn't really occur to me that I could be one too. He's a very... grand, idealistic person yet I've never felt the need to (consciously) inspire others or be particularly forceful. Of course, ENTP females do tend to intimidate so maybe I've just learned to mellow down over the years.

    I've never been too interested in extremely abstract stuff either unless I can bring them down to my level and make sense of them in a concrete way. My mom is a textbook INFJ and though I enjoy having discussions with her, I always have to relate them back to the real world.

    The only type I've been able to eliminate is INTP. I find them too distant, too cautious, too reflective. I prefer to just jump in. I don't know if it's because I'm practical and focused on the immediate future (which would be consistent with some SP personality) or if I just wanna get something done so I can discover something else.

    Maybe I'm a less pronounced ENTP? After all, I do tend to dream big. My plans just always fall through because I have a short attention span. I imagine I'm also a bit too ~flowery~ for a concise SP.

  2. #12
    deleted
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Depends on what you do when you're alone.

    What you say sounds like an ENTP though.

  3. #13
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    Having said that though, I took the temperament test and got SP, followed by NT. I always test either as an ENTP or ISTP. I was pretty much nodding my head throughout the entire ENTP description but I started reading the ISTP one and came across this partÖ.
    Interestingly enough the only reason that I knew that I was not ENTP in the past, was because I know that I am introverted. However most ENTP descriptions fit me better than INTP. However when you read the bestfittype.com description of how ENTPs actually describe themselves, it became apparent that I was not ENTP. In particularly these paragraphs were definitely not me:
    Ideas mean change. When I meet people who have interesting ideas, talents, or projects, I want to get to know them and help them make whatever they want to do possibly much bigger, more successful, or more impactful than they had intended. I start aligning with them and building trust because I want to get invited inóto probably change whatever they want to do because I tend to see more possibilities. Then we cook up the project. Itís fun to learn. I enjoy that in-the-moment experience of connecting things in my mind. Challenge and intellectual stimulation get me excited.

    I just see a different world than the one in which I live, and I admire people who have genuine compassion and a commitment to serve others. I really respect people who have the ability to take the slings and arrows that come with leadership roles and working for change, who can cope with all the misunderstanding and resistance, who can say, ďThis is an idea whose time has come and weíre going to get it done.Ē Itís important to me to be in a setting where people are committed, where facts are respected, and where there is a space for people to tell the truth or at least look for the truthóand be open to listening. I am very partner oriented, and being creative together is what makes a relationship alive.

    I work a lot, always looking for new projects, something to sink my teeth into, and I am constantly challenging myself to make things better. Things Iíve already figured out I like to put together in a format or structure, so I donít have to sit down and go through all the nitty-gritty details. I think in terms of the futureówhy am I here, what is this connected to, where are things going, where did they come from and wouldnít it be better ifÖ? When my intuition is working it produces a lot of excitement and ideas.
    . When I read about ENTP and other "Get Things Going" types, I find much of their interaction motives superficial.

  4. #14
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    I'm starting to reconsider my ENTP diagnosis as well.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    Zzzz
    Posts
    2,629

    Default

    *TestTest*

    ESTP.
    Last edited by zarc; 04-05-2009 at 11:58 PM. Reason: It finally worked this time. zz

  6. #16
    Member SpaghettiMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ?
    Interestingly enough the only reason that I knew that I was not ENTP in the past, was because I know that I am introverted.
    How do you usually interact with people? I'm still considering the possibility that I may be an introvert (or at least a very weak E) and that I just learned to be social out of necessity. I thought extroverts are good at the human element of conversation? Sometimes my conversations seem too non-specific and impersonal; I'll say something, they'll laugh, I'll keep going and put them at ease - but really, I could've been having the same exact discussion with anyone else.

    I just see a different world than the one in which I live, and I admire people who have genuine compassion and a commitment to serve others. I really respect people who have the ability to take the slings and arrows that come with leadership roles and working for change, who can cope with all the misunderstanding and resistance, who can say, ďThis is an idea whose time has come and weíre going to get it done.Ē Itís important to me to be in a setting where people are committed, where facts are respected, and where there is a space for people to tell the truth or at least look for the truthóand be open to listening. I am very partner oriented, and being creative together is what makes a relationship alive.
    I found myself rolling my eyes at that ENTP description. It radiates a holier-than-thou vibe that's somewhat off-putting (although I don't think it's as bad as the other "Get Things Going" descriptions). It sounds like one of those moral citizen essays I used to BS back in Catholic school.

    I also don't think an idea by itself warrants any sort of praise. Everyone has ideas. I need to see tangible results, preferably wrapped in a nice and pretty package.

    On the other hand, I imagine I would be completely on board with ENTP projects that aren't people-oriented. If they'd been talking about making the next great scientific discovery as opposed to changing the world for the betterment of humankind, I would want to be a part of it. I'm just frightened by the idea of someone imposing "change" on me when I may not want it in the first place.

    ETA: I just took the Enneagram test and got Type 7, which is apparently associated with ESTP/ENTP. But every part of me is screaming "Sleep!" so I shall continue this later.

  7. #17
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    How do you usually interact with people? I'm still considering the possibility that I may be an introvert (or at least a very weak E) and that I just learned to be social out of necessity. I thought extroverts are good at the human element of conversation? Sometimes my conversations seem too non-specific and impersonal; I'll say something, they'll laugh, I'll keep going and put them at ease - but really, I could've been having the same exact discussion with anyone else.
    That is exactly what I do. This is a chicken/egg question, is social interacting learned or is it that you are a social person who has learned to tone it down. Once I determined my best fit type, I had to do some careful self-analysis. You should never look at pigeon-holing yourself to conform to a type. Instead look at how you react to things naturally. Too many people do the former and choose to stay on the tread wheel mistyping themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    I found myself rolling my eyes at that ENTP description. It radiates a holier-than-thou vibe that's somewhat off-putting (although I don't think it's as bad as the other "Get Things Going" descriptions). It sounds like one of those moral citizen essays I used to BS back in Catholic school.

    I also don't think an idea by itself warrants any sort of praise. Everyone has ideas. I need to see tangible results, preferably wrapped in a nice and pretty package.
    I did not see as holier than thou, but like you I donít seek or need praise. When I get accolades from my boss, I jokingly ask (but there is some seriousness in the under-tone) does that compliment come with a raise? Also like you and all SPs, there must be tangible results. When I posted at INTPC and ENTP.ORG, I did not find one confirmed INTP or ENTP that said they would not take classes for the sheer enjoyment. I am not going to waste money and effort (even if I had it to throw away) in taking classes for their own sake. It must be applicable and the conclusion must be, as you say wrapped in a nice and pretty package. This is where ISTPs can easily confuse themselves as INTJs. The difference is INTJs want closure and will forgo considering further information that could change the conclusion. ISTPs want immediate results, however will consider the necessity to change their conclusion if additional information warrants it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    On the other hand, I imagine I would be completely on board with ENTP projects that aren't people-oriented. If they'd been talking about making the next great scientific discovery as opposed to changing the world for the betterment of humankind, I would want to be a part of it. I'm just frightened by the idea of someone imposing "change" on me when I may not want it in the first place.
    Again, STPs do not like change for itís own sake and hate those who find the need to re-invent the wheel out of boredom. STPs are too pragmatic for that and would prefer to move on to the next project. I would suggest to keep and open mind and I would not dismiss ESTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonster View Post
    ETA: I just took the Enneagram test and got Type 7, which is apparently associated with ESTP/ENTP. But every part of me is screaming "Sleep!" so I shall continue this later.
    As stated above, I would not dismiss that type. ESTPs interact with the ďIn ChargeĒ style. If you get the booklet, you will immediately determine that like ENTJ and ESTJ, the ESTP is much more serious than some descriptions give them credit for. Itís also the type that over the years I can appreciate their confusion with being ISTP. This is the only type that you consistently find that they can work just as easily in an autonomous manner as they can on a project. From all accounts of ENTPs describing themselves, they must have people. Here are some excerpts from the ESTP description at bestfittype.com:
    I make it happen. How I workóI have a picture in my head on how things will be, and Iím totally involved in the here and now. I am go, go, go. And that creates a lot of successes. I just dodge my way through the sparks and problems. Iím very task oriented. I like to do something, get it done, and move to the next thing. I love circumstances where itís a challenge. Iím a doer. Whatís the mission and how are we getting there? Letís work together. Letís go. Throw any obstacle, Iíll find a way.

    Working through people is the way to get things done. All of my energy, fun, and most uplifting experiences are focused around people. I donít beat around the bush. Sometimes I have to tone it down a little bitópeople may read me the wrong way. Iím very comfortable working either together as a team or individually. I like having flexibility, options, negotiating points. Some people need somebody to be very clear, very direct, and very to the point. Thatís how I operate. And work needs to be mutually enjoyable for all of the parties involved. Celebrate achievements. Recognition or reward runs very high in my value system.

    I love the challenge of creating something pleasing to the eye. I like the order, to walk into a place thatís totally chaotic, nothingís happening, and thereís a great opportunity to straighten things out. I like to get the job of placing all the stuff, making it right so it works.

    I admit I like to be in control and yet Iím kind of easygoing in that I just want freedom. Freedom to me is leave me alone, let me do it. Anything that constrains me around that I donít like and kind of rebel against. I donít like to be told what to do or what to think. And although I know itís good for me, I donít like feedback either. It takes a lot to rattle me, and even then I just go on. I tend not to dwell on things, but sometimes I have a tendency to imagine worst-case scenarios, especially when I am stressed.

    If I donít respect someone, I avoid them. If I can find another way to do business I will. I surround myself with people that I feel comfortable with, but theyíre totally my selection. I like taking on something that I want to do and getting it done and seeing results, keeping things moving along just to see that I have met some goalsóa feeling of accomplishment in a day. Iíll always take bigger risks if I feel confident enough. Then Iíll work with it for a while, and if I see itís not going anywhere, I just move on and go from there. I guess that summarizes how I deal with situations.

  8. #18
    Member SpaghettiMonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Thanks. I find it hard not to get boggled down with details about the types but after devouring the Best Fit Types descriptions, I find I relate more to ESTP (especially the leading style). ENTPs seem too relationship-oriented and strategic for my taste. When I deal with people, I don't always relate to them on a... human level. It becomes more about their skills and quality of work they can produce. This sounds like an STP trait (or a dictator's characteristic, but I'm gonna ignore that).

    I'm still not entirely satisfied with the E designation because based on your replies, there seems to be a lot of overlap between ESTP/ISTP. I'm not sure what comes naturally to me anymore. Plus I imagine that people with dominant I functions would feel more pressure to develop their secondary E function. I don't know.

    I just took a cognitive functions test and I actually scored higher on Ti than Se, although I guess the difference was really small because it still placed me as ESTP.

    But for simplicity's sake, case closed; ESTP it is. Until I have my next identity crisis anyway.

    I'm curious as to why I was labelled me as an ENTP though. The first page of this thread is basically an ENTP train. So to those that did: which part of my post struck you as being particularly ENTPish? Love 'em, but I never really thought I have high Ne (on the contrary, I seem to be lacking N) - especially compared to my bona fide ENTP friends who can theorize circles around me.

  9. #19
    Alexander the Terrible yenom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,755

    Default

    If you like to read and purtsue knowledge, you are an entp. If you don't like to read, you are most likely an estp. Thats how i rtell the difference at least.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

    "In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

    Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

  10. #20
    Senior Member alcea rosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????
    Posts
    3,665

    Default

    You seem like Ne dominant and because your own opinion of xxTP I would suggest you are ENTP.

Similar Threads

  1. Analyze this guy's online presence or personality or something
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 12:41 PM
  2. Analyze This!
    By Eilonwy in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2012, 06:15 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
  4. Analyze this comparison, please...
    By Halla74 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 01:08 PM
  5. Title of this sector.
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 05:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO