User Tag List

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Default Function Confusion

I know that I'm INTP. Everything about it fits me. My only problem is that all my functions other than Ti Ne and Si are all over the place. There is very little consistency other than Se being low.

Of course I am talking about test results which is an inefficient way of measuring function strength to say the least. Is there a better way to gauge function strength other than the tests?

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
    extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************** (18.6)
    limited use
    introverted Sensing (Si) *********************************** (35.8)
    good use
    extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************** (34)
    good use
    introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************** (27.5)
    average use
    extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.6)
    limited use
    introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************************** (40.9)
    excellent use
    extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26.7)
    average use
    introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************** (32.7)
    good use
    This is my latest test result. The one before that is below.

Ti > Ne > Si > Ni > Te > Fe > Fi > Se

I feel like I have been most honest with this last test but I'm still not sure.
    It's hard to gauge myself which is probably where the problem lies.
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I fail to see a problem.

Read more about it. Observe yourself.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I fail to see a problem.

Read more about it. Observe yourself.
    Agreed. Other than your dominant function, and to a lesser degree your auxiliary, there is no guarantee how the remaining functions work. There are succession theories, but Jung merely applies the principle that whatever your dominant function, it's opposite must be the weakest function.

Some inferred that to mean Ti's weakest function must be Fe, but in application and per his theory you can't have equal ability in using two percieving and two judging functions, nor can they follow behind one another. Jung also says that we two functions cannot introvert or extravert simultaneously, therefore logically the true opposite of Ti should be Fi. Berens, Nardi and Beebe see the codes for INTP as Ti-Ne-Si-Fe-Te-Ni-Se-Fi. Lenore Thomson sees it differently, but in all practicality, the remaining five functions are a toss-up.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by SforzaRS View Post
    I know that I'm INTP. Everything about it fits me. My only problem is that all my functions other than Ti Ne and Si are all over the place. There is very little consistency other than Se being low.
    That's because personality is fluid. It changes by the minute. All your results show is that for some reason you are withdrawing presently and may need to balance out by doing some extraverted activities.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    ...Jung also says that we two functions cannot introvert or extravert simultaneously, therefore logically the true opposite of Ti should be Fi.
    Hmmm. I know I have suggested that concept here before (resulting in some pretty spirited discussion from people).

I don't really have issues with the two test scores shown either. As you say, the last five are rather a toss-up. Everyone is different to begin with; and we are each raised and are currently living in circumstances/environments that override "preferences" in the name of survival and accommodation. There's bound to be variation not just between people of the "same type" but also between various snapshots in time of the same individual.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

As I always say it, the Beebe order is archetype roles, not necessary strengths. so your results are the strengths.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTJ
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hmmm. I know I have suggested that concept here before (resulting in some pretty spirited discussion from people).

I don't really have issues with the two test scores shown either. As you say, the last five are rather a toss-up. Everyone is different to begin with; and we are each raised and are currently living in circumstances/environments that override "preferences" in the name of survival and accommodation. There's bound to be variation not just between people of the "same type" but also between various snapshots in time of the same individual.

That is a very nice conclution. I agree. (mostly because I have similar inconsistencies in the tests given)
    VI VERI VENIVERSUM VIVUS VIVCI
    "By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    There's bound to be variation not just between people of the "same type" but also between various snapshots in time of the same individual.
    I think that we all agree in your conclusion Jennifer, which is one other reason that attempting to declare type rarity is almost impossible. Even if one says that per basic type, there are rare ones and ones that are common, each persons individual breakdown makes it virtually impossible to compare.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Agreed. Other than your dominant function, and to a lesser degree your auxiliary, there is no guarantee how the remaining functions work. There are succession theories, but Jung merely applies the principle that whatever your dominant function, it's opposite must be the weakest function.

Some inferred that to mean Ti's weakest function must be Fe, but in application and per his theory you can't have equal ability in using two percieving and two judging functions, nor can they follow behind one another. Jung also says that we two functions cannot introvert or extravert simultaneously, therefore logically the true opposite of Ti should be Fi. Berens, Nardi and Beebe see the codes for INTP as Ti-Ne-Si-Fe-Te-Ni-Se-Fi. Lenore Thomson sees it differently, but in all practicality, the remaining five functions are a toss-up.
    Could you show me where those authors claim that their theories are theories of function succession?