• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Function Confusion

Azseroffs

MBTI Type
ENTj
Enneagram
5w4
I know that I'm INTP. Everything about it fits me. My only problem is that all my functions other than Ti Ne and Si are all over the place. There is very little consistency other than Se being low.

Of course I am talking about test results which is an inefficient way of measuring function strength to say the least. Is there a better way to gauge function strength other than the tests?

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************** (18.6)
limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) *********************************** (35.8)
good use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ********************************** (34)
good use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************** (27.5)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) *********************** (23.6)
limited use
introverted Thinking (Ti) **************************************** (40.9)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ************************** (26.7)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ******************************** (32.7)
good use

This is my latest test result. The one before that is below.

Ti > Ne > Si > Ni > Te > Fe > Fi > Se

I feel like I have been most honest with this last test but I'm still not sure.
It's hard to gauge myself which is probably where the problem lies.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I fail to see a problem.

Read more about it. Observe yourself.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I fail to see a problem.

Read more about it. Observe yourself.
Agreed. Other than your dominant function, and to a lesser degree your auxiliary, there is no guarantee how the remaining functions work. There are succession theories, but Jung merely applies the principle that whatever your dominant function, it's opposite must be the weakest function.

Some inferred that to mean Ti's weakest function must be Fe, but in application and per his theory you can't have equal ability in using two percieving and two judging functions, nor can they follow behind one another. Jung also says that we two functions cannot introvert or extravert simultaneously, therefore logically the true opposite of Ti should be Fi. Berens, Nardi and Beebe see the codes for INTP as Ti-Ne-Si-Fe-Te-Ni-Se-Fi. Lenore Thomson sees it differently, but in all practicality, the remaining five functions are a toss-up.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I know that I'm INTP. Everything about it fits me. My only problem is that all my functions other than Ti Ne and Si are all over the place. There is very little consistency other than Se being low.
That's because personality is fluid. It changes by the minute. All your results show is that for some reason you are withdrawing presently and may need to balance out by doing some extraverted activities.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...Jung also says that we two functions cannot introvert or extravert simultaneously, therefore logically the true opposite of Ti should be Fi.

Hmmm. I know I have suggested that concept here before (resulting in some pretty spirited discussion from people). :)

I don't really have issues with the two test scores shown either. As you say, the last five are rather a toss-up. Everyone is different to begin with; and we are each raised and are currently living in circumstances/environments that override "preferences" in the name of survival and accommodation. There's bound to be variation not just between people of the "same type" but also between various snapshots in time of the same individual.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I always say it, the Beebe order is archetype roles, not necessary strengths. so your results are the strengths.

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hmmm. I know I have suggested that concept here before (resulting in some pretty spirited discussion from people). :)

I don't really have issues with the two test scores shown either. As you say, the last five are rather a toss-up. Everyone is different to begin with; and we are each raised and are currently living in circumstances/environments that override "preferences" in the name of survival and accommodation. There's bound to be variation not just between people of the "same type" but also between various snapshots in time of the same individual.

That is a very nice conclution. I agree. (mostly because I have similar inconsistencies in the tests given)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
There's bound to be variation not just between people of the "same type" but also between various snapshots in time of the same individual.
I think that we all agree in your conclusion Jennifer, which is one other reason that attempting to declare type rarity is almost impossible. Even if one says that per basic type, there are rare ones and ones that are common, each persons individual breakdown makes it virtually impossible to compare.

MMTIC

Agreed. Other than your dominant function, and to a lesser degree your auxiliary, there is no guarantee how the remaining functions work. There are succession theories, but Jung merely applies the principle that whatever your dominant function, it's opposite must be the weakest function.

Some inferred that to mean Ti's weakest function must be Fe, but in application and per his theory you can't have equal ability in using two percieving and two judging functions, nor can they follow behind one another. Jung also says that we two functions cannot introvert or extravert simultaneously, therefore logically the true opposite of Ti should be Fi. Berens, Nardi and Beebe see the codes for INTP as Ti-Ne-Si-Fe-Te-Ni-Se-Fi. Lenore Thomson sees it differently, but in all practicality, the remaining five functions are a toss-up.
Could you show me where those authors claim that their theories are theories of function succession?