• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What am i supposed to make of this?

Hawker45

I'm a bit confused with my type. Numerous tests i have taken place me as an intp, however i have also typed, isfj, intj and esfj? Intp is what i get around 75% of time. My T/F usually tests 50/50 as well as my P/J. Sometimes i feel like im a pretty huge S because i like to know exactly what im doing, but im interested in reading about theoretical physics and anything to do with the scientific explanations of the earth. I'm not well versed on the subject but i like trying to wrap my head around Einstein's theories, and pondering them, but i don't neccessarily have to understand them. It seems like the concept of having a theory of that magnitude and obscurity intrigues me enough. I take people's feelings into consideration when making a judgement sometimes, however they often make me feel uncomfortable. I tend to plan little things almost subconsciously, like "Ill stop reading at x time so i can get to sleep at x time so ill have x about of hours sleep for school tomorrow". But then again i have no trouble going out with no planned method of getting home or knowing where i'm sleeping.

Also the intp and intj i know from school are two of the most intriguing people i've ever met, not to mention hiliarious.

I'm aware that these functions are a scale rather than an absolute figure, but i'm a bit confused about this.

Results from last test.
Introverted (I) 66.67% Extroverted (E) 33.33%
Intuitive (N) 58.33% Sensing (S) 41.67%
Thinking (T) 50% Feeling (F) 50%
Perceiving (P) 50% Judging (J) 50%

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
First off, WELCOME to the forums! Not all people fit into any single type, that can cause some confusion however it's also a good thing. I wouldn't struggle with it all too much, spend some time in here, notice the types of the people posting you most agree with and see if anything seems to fit better.

Also, I would take a cognitive processes test and post those results up here, I think that's a better method of self discovery for people who test of the fences.

Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Basically, I'm gonna ask you to give more info and elaborate on some stuff.

Sometimes i feel like im a pretty huge S because i like to know exactly what im doing

That's more P/J than S/N. Elaborate plox.

i like trying to wrap my head around Einstein's theories, and pondering them, but i don't neccessarily have to understand them.

Elaborate plox.

I take people's feelings into consideration when making a judgement sometimes, however they often make me feel uncomfortable.

Elaborate plox.

I tend to plan little things almost subconsciously, like "Ill stop reading at x time so i can get to sleep at x time so ill have x about of hours sleep for school tomorrow".

Do you plan other things?

You seem IN. There's an unofficial rule that if your undecided between the IN types, your probably INFP. INFPs (and ISFPs) in particular seem to have a hard time typing themselves. We'll see though.

Also, could you explain how you generally interact with others, maybe take this test (ninja'd!), divulge what activities you participate in, and more importantly why. Basically, the more info you provide, the more we can help.

Hawker45

Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
extraverted Sensing (Se) ****************************** (30.6)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ********************** (22.7)
limited use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************** (26.2)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ****************************** (30.7)
good use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ********************************** (34.7)
good use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ************************************* (37.5)
excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *************************** (27.7)
average use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************************** (29.3)
average use

Pretty balanced, but ISTP doesn't coincide with some things i like, such as finding complex maths impractical - i find it interesting and i like the complexity, even if i'm crap at it.

I'm interested in psychology, but more on the behaviour typing side of things. I think a cool job would be to help businesses redefine their workers tasks and such through behaviour typing.

I like helping people through teaching them or offering insight when they're through hard times.

I love sports. Soccer, basketball, cricket, afl and i love a hard training, but im noticing this is becoming less and less as i get older however my love for sport still remains.

My ISFJ mother kills me. Period.

I like music, though i find that i often start compositions with this great idea but thats as far as i get.

I'll add a bit more later after i get home from work. Washing dishes for a football club - the rate of suicidal thoughts seem to increase tenfold during this period.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
If you were INTP you would damn well know it. Plus your Fe is way too high. It may be that you're one that doesn't fit in any one of those 16 boxes and that's just fine. There are many in here that don't and while I'm sure it's frustrating at times I'm also sure it's not as frustrating as never really feeling like you fit in anyplace.

Spend some time in here and by the time that "Junior Member" title is gone you'll have a better understanding.

Hawker45

Sometimes i feel like im a pretty huge S because i like to know exactly what im doing
That's more P/J than S/N. Elaborate plox.

Meaning sometimes i like to have instructions on exactly how to do something, especially in practical matters (probably more an SJ thing). Like at school i'm starting to learn Visual Basic. I dont really want to create my own program that much, i'm more interested in getting a list of "needs" so to speak from the user and working out the language/code needed to run it.

i like trying to wrap my head around Einstein's theories, and pondering them, but i don't neccessarily have to understand them.
Elaborate plox.

Its hard to explain but when i heard Einstein's theory that space is bent, it occupied my thoughts for a couple of days at least. Basically what im trying to say is that if something is not tangible or concrete it doesn't bother me. It seems to me, epecially since i started reading this typology stuff, im always thinking theories up about different functions and how they tie into other things such as poor anger management and abuse as a child. I don't mind discussing them but most of the time id rather just listen to someone else's theories and think about them rather than engage in a conversation about them. Often i have trouble putting these thoughts into words.

I take people's feelings into consideration when making a judgement sometimes, however they often make me feel uncomfortable.
Elaborate plox.

I'd say im fairly diplomatic and understanding of people that what motivates them, but i have an ESFP friend who's oversensitivity to everything is a constant source of arguments between us. Simple things like not telling him that the teacher was standing behind him when he was telling me about his sexual endeavours on the weekend gets him pretty upset. He said it was a break of his trust in me :huh:

I tend to plan little things almost subconsciously, like "Ill stop reading at x time so i can get to sleep at x time so ill have x about of hours sleep for school tomorrow".
Do you plan other things?

Not too much, maybe when im going to do homework on the weekend and stuff like that. However i find when im doing homework i usually end up reading about this kind of stuff anyway. I'm supposed to be doing a few essays at the moment actually. I try to mix in work with something i like to keep me going. Like say ill have a 10min break every half an hour so i can read about something im interested in. The other day i woke up and decided to go into town and buy an Xbox360 without any real forethought.

You seem IN. There's an unofficial rule that if your undecided between the IN types, your probably INFP. INFPs (and ISFPs) in particular seem to have a hard time typing themselves. We'll see though.

Also, could you explain how you generally interact with others, maybe take this test (ninja'd!), divulge what activities you participate in, and more importantly why. Basically, the more info you provide, the more we can help.

I've noticed im extremely reserved with my mother (isfj). She gets along with my esfp bro pretty good, but she's always yelling at me that i have no compassion for anyone, im too emotionally distant, and all i care about is myself etc etc. Standard mum stuff tho i guess. She gets up me because i hate being told how to do things - i like working things out for myself and don't care about mistakes too much. I just seem them as another avenue to learn through.

On the other hand, people with strong a T, more so NT's i find are a little off putting at times due to their reserve, but the other day i somehow got into a discussion with an intp about different game engines. I think he was a little suprised that i knew anything about it.

I seem to have an N sense of humour. I like bringing in references to earlier comments in a conversation and things like that. My sense of humour usually comprises of a weird observation or taking things out of context. I tend to use a bigger vocab when im making an observation. I like the style of Sheldon out of the Big Bang Theory.

However i have a big SJ thing about my family and close friends. I'm pretty fairly easy going until one of them is threatened. My grandfather slapped my bro across the head the other day when he made a joke about him. I nearly stood up and punched him in the nose. But i get annoyed about other things like SJ mothers that are overprotective, or SJ's that care about their work ethic too much.

It seems my personality is full of contradictions.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
It seems my personality is full of contradictions.

Precisely.

The MBTI is a best guess. It averages common behaviors earmarked by others scoring in your range. In doing so, it offers a predictive model that excludes contradictory (see: Normal) behaviors, while highlighting apparent trait patterns.

It can be tempting to apply "anterograde" bias for a lot of people. What this means is that some will psychologically customize their everday approach to normal social routine against their MBTI score. I'd recommend against this.

We all have SJ qualities. Some have more than others. It's healthy to have a wide expression of personal habits. Makes it easier to understand our world and lead a diverse lifestyle.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
If you want to convey the most possible accurateness through your type, you might be better off just being an IXXX. But of course having an X in your type can be very unsatisfying.

If you're just one of those super moderate personalities, maybe MBTI isn't for you.

Hawker45

Precisely.

The MBTI is a best guess. It averages common behaviors earmarked by others scoring in your range. In doing so, it offers a predictive model that excludes contradictory (see: Normal) behaviors, while highlighting apparent trait patterns.

It can be tempting to apply "anterograde" bias for a lot of people. What this means is that some will psychologically customize their everday approach to normal social routine against their MBTI score. I'd recommend against this.

This makes a lot of sense indeed. I took another test and it came up with this;

Basic Report Results
INFP - 69%
ENFP - 64%
INTP - 64%
INFJ - 63%
ENTP - 62%
ISFP - 61%
INTJ - 61%
ISTP - 56%
ENFJ - 52%
ENTJ - 47%
ESFP - 47%
ISFJ - 46%
ESTP - 45%
ISTJ - 44%
ESFJ - 44%
ESTJ - 39%

A BPTI of 30
Type Dynamics Results
Fi - 22
Ne - 21
Ni - 21
Ti - 20
Fe - 15
Si - 14
Se - 14
Te - 13

Although the test was pretty crappy. Half the time i wanted to pick either both options or none at all. Interesting none the less.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INFPs are notorious for thinking they are everything...

that professional who used to be on here a lot said that the most stubborn to type are usually INFP or INTP. I dont get INTP vibe from you. according to ur cognitive test alone: INFJ or ISTP.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm gonna go for INFP. I'm sure an INFP came up with the saying "Don't let anyone put you in a box".

Hawker45

I took an anneagram test to see if that would help.

Type 1 Perfectionism 50%
Type 2 Helpfulness 50%
Type 3 Image Focus 38%
Type 4 Hypersensitivity 50%
Type 5 Detachment 66%
Type 6 Anxiety 34%
Type 7 Adventurousness 42%
Type 8 Aggressiveness 54%
Type 9 Calmness 58%

Im beginning to think i may be ISFJ. Mum is an isfj also, so that could be the source of all the arguing couldn't it?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Hey, welcome!

I think ISTP sounds very fitting from what I've read so far. The test result pointed to it also, with Ti Te Se Ni as the top 4. The ISTPs I know seem to have an element of J or Te, without actually having them. They have messy rooms, but are quite organised and precise.

You should've had more variation in the tests though, so try redoing it and see if you get the same answer again. It can be hard to completely get what each question is saying the first time, and look completely objectively at yourself. Even if you had one really low function it would be a clue. Though people don't have to be set types as many have said already.

Try the grouped version of the same test maybe. It helps you put the questions in context.

Cognitive Functions

Hawker45

Hey, welcome!

I think ISTP sounds very fitting from what I've read so far. The test result pointed to it also, with Ti Te Se Ni as the top 4. The ISTPs I know seem to have an element of J or Te, without actually having them. They have messy rooms, but are quite organised and precise.

Try the grouped version of the same test maybe. It helps you put the questions in context.

Cognitive Functions

Ni,Te,Si,Ne,Fe
You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much.

Se,Fi
You value this process as a helpful aid, even if you do not engage it that often. You trust it contributes to life, particularly when done by others who do the process well. You might recruit others to help you do this process for you.

Ti
You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.

Your Possible Type Code
According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:
Possible result: ISTP

We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.
Possible result: ISTP

Your self-assessment curve = -2.1

ISTP. Interesting. I've always loved practical problem solving, but with an element of skill involved as well. Sounds ISTP to me. But to bring up another point, ISTP's are often listed as enjoying mechanical things - cars etc. I've never really been into mechanical things, and love practical work but i'm not that good with my hands due to lack of use. Do you think being a gay male would have anything to do with that, aswell as increasing my F, due to the number of emotional centres in my brain compared with a hetersexual male. I dont really have any stereotypical gay tendencies, but do you think the fact that ive denied it for nearly a year now, and instead promoted more "manly" values such as Te and J would have sckewed my result somehow?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
This test put me as ISTP. Interesting. I've always loved practical problem solving, but with an element of skill involved as well. Sounds ISTP to me. But to bring up another point, ISTP's are often listed as enjoying mechanical things - cars etc. I've never really been into mechanical things, and love practical work but i'm not that good with my hands due to lack of use. Do you think being a gay male would have anything to do with that, aswell as increasing my F, due to the number of emotional centres in my brain compared with a hetersexual male. I dont really have any stereotypical gay tendencies, but do you think the fact that ive denied it for nearly a year now, and instead promoted more "manly" values such as Te and J would have sckewed my result somehow?

My sister is ISTP and she naturally writes lists and likes to be organised for stuff. Biggest adventurer I know also. And great at giving 100% in everything. I've never seen her fiddle with cars or anything mechanical in her life. She is perfect with writing though, and has great skills in almost anything. And the only way I wouldn't call her theoretical is that she doesn't philosophy in quite the same way as some N types. She's more answer and practically directed. Ask her about any problem and she will describe the system in perfect detail, tell you what matters, key points, what to do, how to do it. Great teacher. Good at sport too. What you do with the cognitive functions is your own to choose. So sometimes you can tell more by how you approach the things you are interested in, than what your interests are.

What things get on your nerves might be a good question? Different types are annoyed by different stuff.

p.s. I don't think sexuality will make a difference. Having some uncertainty of where you are at because of it, might bias your tests though.

Unique

MBTI are preferences only... its not hard to choose what you prefer, it doesn't mean you don't use both...

Step One: Pick your favorite Letters ;D
Step Two: ???
Step Three: Profit

But seriously even if you only used say... N slightly more than your S... that makes you an N full stop no more questions kthx

Hawker45

What things get on your nerves might be a good question? Different types are annoyed by different stuff.

Um where to start. Well i hate when people take themselves to seriously and don't understand that my smart ass comments are all in good jest.

I hate when i try to start a rational discussion with people and they take it as a personal attack.

I like being able to work things out for myself. It doesn't bother me if i screw up if i gain some kind of understanding from it. I like to experiment and be independant about the things i do. If someone doesn't let me do this i get fairly angry.

I don't suffer fools well.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yep, that all sounds okay for ISTP. Not positive, but it's definitely on the right track.