User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram

Default Materialistic N??

Is it possible to be a materialistic N? I'm not shallow or anything, but I just love love love shopping, clothes, designer purses, shoes, anything shiny, pink, girly, etc. N characteristics definitely seem to fit me more, but liking things so much would seem more S by nature. Although, it's kind of weird because I will go through phases where i become really non-materialistic and i look at all the overly expensive stuff i have and I can't believe i ever bought it, and it seems really pointless. but i dunno lately i have definitely been more of the former.

thoughts?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Sure, why not.

Some people, myself included, like nice things.

I wear gold and diamonds, and expensive jeans and shoes.

Could I live without them?

Absolutely, am I materialistic?

Not really, but perhaps compared to your typical Rwandan, I am a materialistic consumer whore.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTJ

What CaptainChick said fits me, too. I love nice things - clothes, jewelry etc. I am known as the "shopping ninja" by my friends and family.

Could I live without this stuff? Yeah. But do I simply enjoy it - nice clothes, dressing up, looking good etc.? Yeah.

Sometimes the word 'materialistic' can be confusing. I'll notice if someone else is dressed like a slob, but I won't make a moral judgement of them. In my head it'll be more like "ugh, that's a baaad pair of shoes" not "omg, looks at person x's shoes, x must be a lazy and unmotivated person" - I actually really hate people being judged by their looks - good or bad.

We should start a shopping thread.
    "Only an irrational dumbass, would burn Jews." - Jaguar

"please give concise answers in plain English" - request from Provoker

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Etoile View Post
    Is it possible to be a materialistic N? I'm not shallow or anything, but I just love love love shopping, clothes, designer purses, shoes, anything shiny, pink, girly, etc. N characteristics definitely seem to fit me more, but liking things so much would seem more S by nature. Although, it's kind of weird because I will go through phases where i become really non-materialistic and i look at all the overly expensive stuff i have and I can't believe i ever bought it, and it seems really pointless. but i dunno lately i have definitely been more of the former.

thoughts?
    Well, I have a female INTJ friend who is a lot like this, and I know other Ns like this, too. It's not so much an N thing- it's just a girl thing, even if not all girls are like it.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The ENTJs (all male) and ENFPs I know pay a lot of attention to dress and fashion, more so with the ENFPs. They're not generally materialistic people, they just spend more time on it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I think people are all materialistic. It just depends on to what extent. I'm not so much designer clothing type.. but who else buys the original Heroes Quest in the factory shrink wrap in mint condition? Im a collector, so I'm materialistic in the sense I love to collect things that have a value to me (even if they're worthless to the next person.) which makes me materialistic. I like nice things, and I work hard to have them, and I'm normally fine going without if I cannot afford it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFJ

It is absolutely possible to be a materialistic N, just as there are plenty of ascetic, spirital Ss (look at those in religious orders; lots of ISs, I would bet).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Etoile View Post
    I just love love love shopping, clothes...
    Me too. I have so many clothes, shoes, and bags and I just keep stockpiling more. I thoroughly enjoy fashion, it is a bit of a hobby of mine. I see it as an art. I don't think it has much to do with S/N as I have many N friends, INFJ, ENFP, ENTJ, etc, males and females alike, who also love dressing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    Could I live without this stuff? Yeah. But do I simply enjoy it - nice clothes, dressing up, looking good etc.? Yeah.
    Yup, I could live without all my stuff. But I love dressing up and having nice outfits. I hate feeling like I have nothing to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangirl View Post
    We should start a shopping thread.
    Hear, hear!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I don't spend much on clothes, but I wear $200 a bottle perfume and don't bat an eye about it. Seems to me that counts.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I guess I like materialistic too, I collect all sorts of usefull stuff in my garage and I like clever designed / built cars.

But I could do without it and I dont have to brag with the things I have. Maybe there is the difference.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]