• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Materialistic N??

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, yes! Fashion is an art form, an act of self-expression, a way to be who you are.

ETA: Actually picking out clothes is a form of torture, in my opinion, but I do better since the internet. I go to a store to figure out my size in a certain brand, and then I pick my clothes out and order them online. I would just about rather eat dirt than shop for clothes, but I enjoy clothes.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is my reason. I see clothing as a form of self-expression. This seems to be ENFPs' reason for dressing up as well; they are very creative and their attire is just another outlet to express themselves. Don't know about ENXJs though...;)[/URL]
I have a little of that although I don't care much for shopping or getting dressed up, although I do it for work. I have chosen clothes that are sheer and worn in layers, and often with a scruffy edge to it. I like indistinct boundaries in my thinking and world view, and so that is how I choose my clothes. Also, my features work better with clothes that aren't too heavy or dramatic. I like keeping a bit of a grungy edge to what I wear because that is also who I am. More than any of that though, my clothes have to be easy and comfortable. It is a big problem if they are a distraction. I usually like finding what I wear at thrift stores and put things together how it makes sense to me and not what is a current trend. I get stressed if I spend much money on clothes. I don't care much what other people perceive in me, but I like a sense of coherence and interrelationships in all things. There was a time I wanted to work out my wardrobe to have all sorts of interrelationships and patterns amongst its members that only I was aware of, but then it seemed like a worthless bother.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i love fashion...and have my favorite designers..wish i could be all cool and avant garde...i love the whole production of it, the art of it...i would wrap myself up in their beautiful creations daily if i could...but...i don't think about it much...but if there's any occasion at all i will relish the opportunity to get creative with my look...otherwise i'm pretty simple.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
It's both for me, I think. How I look (what I wear etc.) is very much an expression of who I am, but it's a playful expression, not a profound one. I love playing with personae. One of my favourite 'looks' is hard edged good-girl. Pink cardigan and a heavy metal chain necklace, for example. But I'll honestly create any kind of persona, and it's not just about the clothes, I'll do my hair, make-up, perfume, everything, to sort of a)match the look and b)match me. I could plan outfits/looks for hours on end. It makes me happy.

Shopping also just makes me happy in the 'foraging' sense. Coming home with heavy bags, the *smell* of new clothes, ahhhhh, bliss.

I think I might go start that shopping thread now!

PS. Anyone who wants to help me kidnap Sytpg and dress him up like a hipster doofus, PM me. ;)

EDIT: Mkay, putting it in the Fluff zone so as not to incur wrath of 'serious' people. :D

Petite Etoile

MBTI Type
InTJ
Enneagram
yeah, the only difference between S and N is how deeeep you are.

of course it's possible to be a materialistic N. That's like asking if it's possible to like books if you're an S type.

i wasn't trying to imply that being materialistic is a bad thing or a measure of how deep you are. Obviously, i myself claim to be materialistic so it doesn't bother me. I test really close between S/N and i'm honestly still not sure which one I am so i was just asking because I wondered if one letter is more inclined to be that way.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have a little of that although I don't care much for shopping or getting dressed up, although I do it for work. I have chosen clothes that are sheer and worn in layers, and often with a scruffy edge to it. I like indistinct boundaries in my thinking and world view, and so that is how I choose my clothes. Also, my features work better with clothes that aren't too heavy or dramatic. I like keeping a bit of a grungy edge to what I wear because that is also who I am. More than any of that though, my clothes have to be easy and comfortable. It is a big problem if they are a distraction. I usually like finding what I wear at thrift stores and put things together how it makes sense to me and not what is a current trend. I get stressed if I spend much money on clothes. I don't care much what other people perceive in me, but I like a sense of coherence and interrelationships in all things. There was a time I wanted to work out my wardrobe to have all sorts of interrelationships and patterns amongst its members that only I was aware of, but then it seemed like a worthless bother.

That's the way I feel about clothing, too. It's more about personal style than fashion or looking good. To me, it's all about looking like me. Which is why, when I have to wear certain clothes for special occasions, I don't feel like myself.

And yeah, my clothes have a grungey edge to them as well. I like it when the colours start to fade and when the edges and hems get a little worn...I like it when my jacket goes from black to brownish in spots because it's been in the sun for too long. My clothes look "lived in". I have the same philosophy about my living space.

Does your philosophy regarding your appearance cross over into other parts of your life?

That said, I can be materialistic. I like having nice things, but most of the time those come in the forms of nice food, tools to work with, and things I collect, and occasionally a piece of clothing that I think fits me all too well. The thing about nice things is they tend to have a greater ability to endure the punishment of everyday living...and as they wear down, they wear down in a more graceful manner.

I also like shopping, but not neccessarily for anything in particular. Especially when it comes to my hobbies. I like to go and look around and formulate aquarium set-ups in my head while evaluating time and costs needed to get that set-up off the ground. It's a nice problem solving exercise that seems to require all parts of my brain in order to find a viable solution.

Do other people experience "window shopping" as a problem solving exercise? If so, do you think that's why people (in general) tend to enjoy it?

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like to envision environments, y'know ... interior decorate in my head. Aquariums for people, I guess.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's the way I feel about clothing, too. It's more about personal style than fashion or looking good. To me, it's all about looking like me. Which is why, when I have to wear certain clothes for special occasions, I don't feel like myself.

And yeah, my clothes have a grungey edge to them as well. I like it when the colours start to fade and when the edges and hems get a little worn...I like it when my jacket goes from black to brownish in spots because it's been in the sun for too long. My clothes look "lived in". I have the same philosophy about my living space.

Does your philosophy regarding your appearance cross over into other parts of your life?
I think I can say one core aspect of myself is valuing coherency and interrelationships. What I said about the clothes would apply to other material objects, like I have always been intrigued with items that cross time boundaries. For example, I am rather drawn to steam punk, and other things that recall the past and fortell the future at once. I also like my instruments to symbolize something about me - usually being understated and with natural lines and textures.

That said, I can be materialistic. I like having nice things, but most of the time those come in the forms of nice food, tools to work with, and things I collect, and occasionally a piece of clothing that I think fits me all too well. The thing about nice things is they tend to have a greater ability to endure the punishment of everyday living...and as they wear down, they wear down in a more graceful manner.

I also like shopping, but not neccessarily for anything in particular. Especially when it comes to my hobbies. I like to go and look around and formulate aquarium set-ups in my head while evaluating time and costs needed to get that set-up off the ground. It's a nice problem solving exercise that seems to require all parts of my brain in order to find a viable solution.
Even though I haven't ever owned fish or designed aquariums, that kind of shopping/browsing would be restful and thought-provoking. I enjoy hanging out in the fish section at pet stores. I enjoy browsing and hearing various folk instruments at music stores and stuff like that where you can dream without committing. What I am not able to do shopping-wise is the whole "Midnight Madness Shopping Frenzy" type of thing with large crowds and grabby fists. That is intense sensory overload for me and it wipes me out. Malls can have that effect as well, although it can be fun to go occasionally. Huge electronic stores can be sensory overload for me as well. For me sensory overload means feeling tired, nauseated, and wanting to put in ear plugs, turn out all the lights and lay in a bath of moderately hot water for an undetermined amount of time. :yes:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm not at all materialistic and I'm not one for 'stuff' to fill my house. It has to mean something more than just look pretty. I DESPISE shopping - which makes me quite the freak of nature among women. I do love shopping for DVDs, books or CDs, I could do that all day, but everything else bores me senseless.

I do have some appreciation for fashion but one can admire a painting without being an artist. I'm rather scruffy and make minimal efforts for my appearance. And I feel more comfortable in the same old clothes. Its not that I don't care how I look (although I care less than most) I just feel that its not worth the effort - all I'm looking for is a pass mark. And I second the grungy look - I'm a fan of that. :yes:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I hate shopping.

Most of my shirts, I've made from other shirts, etc.
I order jeans from this cheap teen catalog because they're the only ones that are ever long enough, and consistently fit/stay at the same cost for the most part. No need to go to stores for anything more than minor things like socks, etc.
Hell I haven't even bought any more of those for a year or so now.

I wear my trusty converse sneakers (same shoes I've worn since childhood :wubbie:) til they fall apart.
And most of my clothes. Patched. Repatched.

I wear a wallet on a chain, keep my keys clipped to it.
Fuck handbags.

And getting manicures/pedicures are out of the question.

I cut my own hair. It comes out better than it did when I paid proffessionals.
Yeah, it's pretty darn classy.

I don't collect things. Never saw the need to. I don't count books/music/movies in this statement.

I'm not into jewelry at all, unless it's a plastic spider ring I've won from an arcade. Or a RingPop. Cuz candy is awesome by default.

I'm not into all the latest n' greatest technological gadgets. My phone was free. No iPod for me.. I still use my ole walkman & love to create mixtapes for friends.

I don't buy tons of posters for decor. I don't make it a point to color coordinate anything. Floral patterns have no place in my life.

Furthermore... I despise "knick-knacks."
It's impossible to put into words how much I can't stand fucking.. knick-knacks. :sick:

I don't care what you do/don't own, wear, drive, or can afford.
I just care about the thoughts in that brain of yours.. unless they're primarily about your stuff, other people's stuff, and other forms of what I consider to be shallow gossip/a waste of your and my existence. :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is it possible to be a materialistic N? I'm not shallow or anything, but I just love love love shopping, clothes, designer purses, shoes, anything shiny, pink, girly, etc. N characteristics definitely seem to fit me more, but liking things so much would seem more S by nature. Although, it's kind of weird because I will go through phases where i become really non-materialistic and i look at all the overly expensive stuff i have and I can't believe i ever bought it, and it seems really pointless. but i dunno lately i have definitely been more of the former.

thoughts?

Sure; MBTI types are composite guesses about the way you tend to prefer thinking/acting on average. Being really into physical things is a more S than N characteristic, but Ns exhibit S traits all the time and vice versa.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Pfft, those tallitot and kippot look like they're made of the finest satin.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I hate shopping.

Most of my shirts, I've made from other shirts, etc.
I order jeans from this cheap teen catalog because they're the only ones that are ever long enough, and consistently fit/stay at the same cost for the most part. No need to go to stores for anything more than minor things like socks, etc.
Hell I haven't even bought any more of those for a year or so now.

I wear my trusty converse sneakers (same shoes I've worn since childhood :wubbie:) til they fall apart.
And most of my clothes. Patched. Repatched.

I wear a wallet on a chain, keep my keys clipped to it.
Fuck handbags.

I cut my own hair. It comes out better than it did when I paid proffessionals.
Yeah, it's pretty darn classy.

I don't collect things. Never saw the need to. I don't count books/music/movies in this statement.

I'm not into jewelry at all, unless it's a plastic spider ring I've won from an arcade. Or a RingPop. Cuz candy is awesome by default.

I'm not into all the latest n' greatest technological gadgets. My phone was free. No iPod for me.. I still use my ole walkman & love to create mixtapes for friends.

I don't buy tons of posters for decor. I don't make it a point to color coordinate anything. Floral patterns have no place in my life.

It's impossible to put into words how much I can't stand fucking.. knick-knacks. :sick:

I just care about the thoughts in that brain of yours.. unless they're primarily about your stuff, other people's stuff, and other forms of what I consider to be shallow gossip/a waste of your and my existence. :D

bow.gif
bow.gif
bow.gif

:D

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
What about giving or receiving manicures or pedicures to, or from someone you love?

:rolleyes:

Cheater!!!

But, but...

:boohoo:

My plastic dinosaur figurines mean soooooo much to me, and bring me sooooo much joy!!!

Now, you're talking!!!

I couldn't agree with this sentiment more!!!

:yes:

cloakofsnow

MBTI Type
INFx
Is it possible to be a materialistic N?

Well, since I personally know several S's (one being my mom) who are extremely non-materialistic, I think therefore there must exists some Ns who are materialistic. So yeah, I think it's very possible.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i wasn't trying to imply that being materialistic is a bad thing or a measure of how deep you are. Obviously, i myself claim to be materialistic so it doesn't bother me. I test really close between S/N and i'm honestly still not sure which one I am so i was just asking because I wondered if one letter is more inclined to be that way.
Sorry, didn't mean to be overly sarcastic. Just seemed like a silly thing to decide S vs N for. In fact, on a type basis I would think FJs would be more into clothes etc, due to Fe.

If you want to know which one you are, you could think about types as a whole (ISTJ will have a different "feel" from INTJ), talk to others of those types here, and think about whether you prefer abstract topics to "here and now" stuff.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about giving or receiving manicures or pedicures to, or from someone you love?

I don't think I'll ever want to make a boyfriend's fingers n' toes purty..
And hopefully said hypothetical boyfriend won't resent me for this.

People messing with my feet is weird.
I don't think I want a guy I'm dating to be sanding off layers of dead tissue from my heels with a special rock.
Call me crazy, but I bet our relationship would still do remarkably well without having to explore that realm of intimacy. :sick:

:rolleyes:

Cheater!!!

Well.. I don't look at books/movies/music as just 'stuff'.. more to it than that. They're works of art that not only stir the senses, but are more likely to be inspirational/thought-provoking than say, a stamp collection.

But, but...

:boohoo:

My plastic dinosaur figurines mean soooooo much to me, and bring me sooooo much joy!!!

Aw, no worries. :hug: Plastic dinosaurs are totally an exception.
Those aren't even really knick-knacks. They're more like.. inanimate friends.

They're the guardians of your tabletops/shelves!
Keeping the evil ceramic furry woodland creatures/cherubs/fairies at bay.
:yes:

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I don't think it's specificly N/S related.

I don't know how you define materialistic, but a materialistic person is usually one who is in hiding (hiding something from him/herself).