User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm definitely not materialistic.

Btw I hate fashion queens, and I'm taking names.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

*crickets chirping*

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

yeah, the only difference between S and N is how deeeep you are.

of course it's possible to be a materialistic N. That's like asking if it's possible to like books if you're an S type.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTP

My disinterest in appearances bothers a bunch of people I know. I would say I inherited it from my dad (grew up on a farm, thrifty) but he is a closet attention whore. Which is somewhat surprising for an INTJ. He used to LOVE dressing nice and would go to great lengths to make sure people noticed it.

My other friends and family members hate it. One of my exes asked me the ingenious question "why don't you like looking good" after I cleaned up a little bit for her. I took it as a compliment, but I generally don't care and I have a high threshold for things I won't stand when it comes to aesthetics and appearance.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

WTF is fashion?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Petite Etoile View Post
    Is it possible to be a materialistic N? I'm not shallow or anything, but I just love love love shopping, clothes, designer purses, shoes, anything shiny, pink, girly, etc. N characteristics definitely seem to fit me more, but liking things so much would seem more S by nature. Although, it's kind of weird because I will go through phases where i become really non-materialistic and i look at all the overly expensive stuff i have and I can't believe i ever bought it, and it seems really pointless. but i dunno lately i have definitely been more of the former.

thoughts?
    You like to shop because the store is so well organized. You can elect to say "just lookin". It's somewhat of a forest (perhaps you prefer malls rather than barron isolated singles. Shoping provides thought as well, though somewhat on the surface.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Right, shopping is the modern foraging equivalent. A remnant of our gathering instincts, I mean, sometimes I just go with no intention or followthrough of buying anything at all. Seeing what's out there. Comparing prices, etc.

It also totally gives a sort of vindication that your work isn't for naught and the wheels of capitalism still turn in the world. You earn money and go to a place and can choose to use that purchasing power- in stores where another person is also earning money and they can go use that purchasing power. All is right in the world.

MBTI
    iNtJ

I like nice clothes, jewelry, etc. Usually when I'm busy it won't be a huge priority --- whatever pants and sweater I happen to grab, make sure my hair looks halfway decent, go. But when I'm on break or going out on a weekend, I'll put some more effort into picking an outfit and jewelry. I mean, why not? People judge by looks. It may not be right, but they do.

I've never liked much make-up, mostly because I don't think it looks good on me. I do like shopping, in moderation. Sometimes I'll try on dresses that are way too expensive that I have no intention of buying. It's almost a break from analyzing everything and being all N-ish. Se users have more fun.

MBTI
    ENTj
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Ns can be just as materialistic if not more.

Ns are symbolic so they might go shopping for clothes because of the way it makes them feel or the way it allows them to express themselves.
    Ss are more likely to shop for clothes simply because they look good.

I know when I'm shopping for clothes I'm constantly asking myself "what does this say about me?"
    ENTJ LIE
    3w4 sp/sx
    3w4(4w5)-5w6(6w7)-9w8(1w9)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by SforzaRS View Post
    Ns are symbolic so they might go shopping for clothes because of the way it makes them feel or the way it allows them to express themselves.
    This is my reason. I see clothing as a form of self-expression. This seems to be ENFPs' reason for dressing up as well; they are very creative and their attire is just another outlet to express themselves. Don't know about ENXJs though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Btw I hate fashion queens, and I'm taking names.
    I'm.a.Diva