• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

am i infj or infp?i'm open minded to any suggestions outside of this too thanks

Neo Genesis

MBTI Type
InFp
Enneagram
4w5
Go take a fuction test a few times and see if that helps. They're not conclusive by any means, but I used to wonder between P and J as well, and they helped. Apparently, I'm FiNi, which actually seems to make alot of sense for how I act/think. There was also a thread a few weeks ago taken from infj forums(or whatever it is) detailing the differences in thoughts between infj and infp. It was very helpful. Ah here it is:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/13982-what-do-you-guys-think-infp-vs-infj.html

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
do you have a link to a mbti function test? i had took one awhile ago can't remember where i found.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
thanks neo-g :hi:
Your TMPI answers suggest that your type preference is:

INXJ

E 2 I 12
S 6 N 8
T 7 F 7
P 3 J 11

always get high scores on introversion
n and s seem pretty even whenever i take tests which i don't take alot causer i don't want to ruin the integrity lol.
same for t and f it's usually pretty even on my tests
now for p and j there have been tests i take where i'll get p but j will be equal/balance with it or right behind it or like this one where j is running the show hehe.
i did my best to answer these to how i have experienced my self in the past but i could see p/j evenly distributed.
also to note i'm under 25 so idk if that will be important to note of or not.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hi,
I haven't disappeared i just have been really trying to look at the functions of
Ni, Ne, Fi, Fe, Si,Se, Ti, and Te.

I also looked up some definitions to reply to siegfried's post just has to think it over.
this is for tertiary Ti
clarifying: 1. To make clear or easier to understand; elucidate: clarified her intentions.
2. To clear of confusion or uncertainty: clarify the mind.
3. To make clear by removing impurities or solid matter, as by heating gently: clarify butter.
/////
categorize - place into or assign to a category; "Children learn early on to categorize"
reason - think logically; "The children must learn to reason"
class, classify, sort out, assort, sort, separate - arrange or order by classes or categories; "How would you classify these pottery shards--are they prehistoric?"
////
an·a·lyzed, an·a·lyz·ing, an·a·lyz·es
1. To examine methodically by separating into parts and studying their interrelations.(i definitely do this; especially right now xDD)
////
con·sis·ten·cies
a. Agreement or logical coherence among things or parts: a rambling argument that lacked any consistency.
////
universal
Adjective
1. of or relating to everyone in the world or everyone in a particular place or society: the introduction of universal primary education
2. of, relating to, or affecting the entire world or universe: the universal laws of physics
3. true and relevant at all times and in all situations: there may be no single universal solution
Noun
something which exists or is true in all places and all situations: universals such as beauty and justice
/////
this is for tertiary Si
1. To look over, study, or examine again.
2. To consider retrospectively; look back on.(^^? lol)
ret·ro·spec·tive Pronunciation (rtr-spktv)
adj.
1. Looking back on, contemplating, or directed to the past.
2. Looking or directed backward.
3. Applying to or influencing the past; retroactive.(okay just had to make sure i got what they ment lol)

link 1 Pronunciation (lngk)
n.
1. One of the rings or loops forming a chain.

com·pare Pronunciation (km-pâr)
v. com·pared, com·par·ing, com·pares
v.tr.
1. To consider or describe as similar, equal, or analogous; liken.
2. To examine in order to note the similarities or differences of.(sounds like what i'm doing right now but it's all in the flavor of just trying to understand the overall picture of mbti types; to clarify & analyze big time haha/ to help in my understanding lol)

con·trast Pronunciation (kn-trst, kntrst)
v. con·trast·ed, con·trast·ing, con·trasts
v.tr.
To set in opposition in order to show or emphasize differences: an essay that contrasts city and country life; contrasted this computer with inferior models.

"INFJ Tertiary
Introverted Thinking (Ti)

Clarifying principles
Categorizing and classifying
Analyzing
Checking consistency
Universal"

"INFP Tertiary
Introverted Sensing (Si)

Reviewing
Linking
Comparing and contrasting
Noticing match and mismatch
Past"

I'm going to write out quotes from INTJ forum cause i felt this really cleared stuff up for me.(these are not my words there from people on the intj forum)

Ti:
figures out the principles on which something works. looks at different sides of an idea to find inconsistencies,
clarifies definitions for precision(;) to concisely express ideas. (sounds like me lol)
uses an internal reasoning process to categorize principles.
extracts the essence of an idea from external stimuli.

Te:
organizes for efficiency
sets boundaries and guidelines
seeks measurable criteria.
sees if something is working or not; considers consequences
tries to establish order in others' thought processes
notices inconsistencies in written and verbal communication.(more in written communication that i notice grammar mess up or how something just doesn't roll off the tongue right etc)

Fi:
clarifies values and worth
personal ideals and feelings about what is right or wrong
decides if something is worth standing up for.
acts on "gut feelings"?

Fe:
thinks about how actions will affect others in the group.
maintains societal and group values.
considers if behavior is acceptable or unacceptable
to others.
views in terms of what role is defined for people.

Si:
recognizes "what was" and compares to "what is"
accumulates and stores facts, figures and memories of situations.
recognizes the way things have always been.
draws on past experiences to know what to do.

Se:
recognizes "what is"
drawn to act to get immediate results.
follows physical impulses and instincts
learns facts about the immediate context.

Ni:
future oriented; focuses on what will be
envisions without the need for tangible support.
driven to see visions manifest.
constantly shifts perspectives to understand things in different ways.
finds self expression difficult.

Ne:
sees potential possibilities and meanings,
proposes options, brainstorms everything is seen in relationships
and patterns, nothing stands alone.
identifies external connections and patterns.
hops from idea to idea.
self expression comes easily.

more on Ni i found on intj forum
Ni is convergent (tending to come together; merging)
it takes a world of possibilities, finds connections and comes to one
thing - it is then up to the j function to express it.
it can be expressed objectively or subjectively, personally or impersonally.

Ne:
is divergent(tends to come together from different directions).
it takes an idea and crafts a world of possibilities.
it is then up to the judging function to discern what from it
either makes logical or personal sense.

another definition of Ni: none of these are mine)
Ni is introverted in the sense it takes more than it puts out (several ideas coalesce into one)

Ne: is extroverted in the sense that it puts out more than it takes
(one idea sets off 5 others)

Ni: another description i found on INTJ forum)
foreseeing implications, conceptualizing and having images of the future
or profound meaning.
involves a sense of what will be.
using this process, at least a sense of what will happen before we have
any data. other times operates when we conceptualize and get a sense of a whole plan, pattern, theory, or explanation.
these are the kind of images that come to us in the shower, in a
meditative state or in dreams and helps us deeply understand something.(absolutly there has been many times i have been in the shower or just got up or am just detaching from the theory(mbti, enneagram, or concern) and
all of sudden when i'm not really thinking about it, BOOM there it is i get it something clicks and all of sudden i got the answer or a new found clarity of a piece of theory that i was having trouble grasping a little earlier.

for instance something i just wasn't understand with how the enneagram worked so i just went to bed and the next morning when i woke up the first
thing that popped in my head was an understanding and clarity of
that which was confusing me lol. dreams have definitely played apart
in figuring out problems as well not just in theory but in what to do with relationship problems or a dream sending me a message that everything
will be fine; you will make it on your own just fine.

I'm highly convinced that i am INFJ who just has really developed her Fi and is currently working on her Ti with more effort.
i looked at isfj/infp but INFJ seriously fits like a glove cause it just the functions it's a too perfect fit just like me being type 6 to deny it.
I appreciate anyones input :newwink::headphne:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
here's some results where they look at eight functions i answered them as i'm now.
Based on your ranked responses to the 120 phrases...

- Ti

- Ni

- Fi

- Te

- Fe

- Si

- Se

- Ne

Your Possible Type Code
According to the traditional sorting method of finding the most-used functional pairs (such as Fi-Ne), your type might be:

Possible result: INTJ

We are also trying a new sorting method to try to indicate best-fit type. This method is experimental and may not match your type.

Possible result: INTJ

Your Most-Used Processes
Based on your response, these are your top three cognitive processes in use:

(hmmm interesting been doing ti alot lately lol just from looking at how i have been working with enneagram/mbti)
Ti : Analyzing; categorizing; evaluating according to principles and whether something fits the framework or model; figuring out the principles on which something works; checking for inconsistencies; clarifying definitions to get more precision.

Ni : Foreseeing implications and likely effects without external data; realizing 'what will be'; conceptualizing new ways of seeing things; envisioning transformations; getting an image of profound meaning or far-reaching symbols.

Fi : Evaluating; considering importance and worth; reviewing for incongruity; evaluating something based on the truths on which it is based; clarifying values to achieve accord; deciding if something is of significance and worth standing up for.
These definitions are the copy protected material of Linda V. Berens and Telos Publications, Huntington Beach, CA and may not be used without the authors express written consent. All other material is the exclusive property of Dario Nardi, 2004 and may not be used without express written consent. Please contact us for permissions.

Your Developmental Report
Your pattern of responses indicates a developmental level in each cognitive processes. Since this is experimental, this report may be in error.

Se,Ne
You are generally not aware of engaing in this process. You find it bothersome and unhelpful from others and question its value. You may mistake its use for something else. You may avoid or try to shut down situations that involve this process.

Si
You notice this process and enjoy when others use it but only occassionally find yourself engaging in it. You may marvel at others who do it very well. It doesn't appear useful to you personally and can annoy you if others use it too much. (xDDD my mother lol)

Te,Fi,Fe
You value this process as a helpful aid, even if you do not engage it that often. You trust it contributes to life, particularly when done by others who do the process well. You might recruit others to help you do this process for you. ( i could see how i had a friend help me develop Fi they really showed me that i deserved to stand up for myself and i have needs etc)

Ni
You actively use this process in your daily life as a useful tool or helpful aid. You could live without it but use definitely contributes to the what you do and who you are. You can work with others using this process, usually in a support role.

Ti
You create value, aid others and get things done everyday using this process. You function well here, know all the ins and outs, strengths and limits of this process. You have made this process your own, something personal and unique to you.

just thought i'd post this incase anyone's interested....tootles.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just skimming through all of your posts, and seeing how you structure your thoughts and write, I'd say INFP much before INFJ.

I also tend to think it's a lot 'easier' to use mbti before you dig too deeply into it, and before you start analyzing all of the cognitive functions. While cognitive functions are interesting in and of themselves, I still think for the most part you can type pretty accurately just going by each of the four dichotomies. And there are pretty telltale behavioral signs, esp. in terms of how you approach the world in general, that point towards P/J. Just looking at all of my 'P' friends, vs. my 'J' friends -- it doesn't matter what other letters they have, there are marked similarities between all of the P's, and all of the J's. I suppose that's why generalities exist for each of the dichotomies.

Just a simple example on this generality: P's tend to be labeled as more spontaneous, J's as more controlled and as 'planners'. Now, I CAN be extremely spontaneous at times, and I LIKE to think of myself as having the ability to be spontaneous. ;-) Just as the P's are going to plan for things at times, and might make lists or do that sort of thing because they decide they function better that way - or something (just an example). But the distinction is that *compared to my P friends*, I am not spontaneous, and am probably far from it. So I think when it comes to subjectively analyzing our own type, we run into problems, and often lean towards what we'd LIKE to think of ourselves as. As a J, I might think of all of the times I don't plan for anything, and the fact that I never make lists, or whatever - and then I'll start thinking I'm a P. But again, when comparing myself to a true P, there's a huge difference, I think.

Also, a comment - what you bolded under the Ni description a few posts back - i.e. the shower stuff, and waking up the next day with a major insight - is probably one of the shallower descriptions of Ni. Personally I can't stand that more mystical slant to it, as I don't see it as a mystical process. And what you've described re. dreams and waking up with clarity...well...to me that's more of a human trait - just general psychology. All types could have that experience. And that kind of takes away from what Ni really is (there are some really good things written up on it in this forum, from people who actually USE it - not just taken off of a website).

I realize you've already decided you're INFJ so it doesn't really matter what I or anyone else writes - plus, you know yourself better than any of us anyway. And in any event, mbti at its basic is supposed to be about appreciating differences and maybe a bit of self-awareness too...so if you've reached closure about your type, that's great!

Oh, one more comment!! Back when I was really doing what you are doing, and digging into functions and various sites, I became quite confused. There can be a lot of conflicting info out there. Also, that 'INFJ or INFP?' site??? - scrap it, I say!! It'll likely cause much more confusion than help. :smile:

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just skimming through all of your posts, and seeing how you structure your thoughts and write, I'd say INFP much before INFJ. (not going to lie i wander if i'm either infp,isfp,isfj and infj, even find myself relating to intj at some points.)

I also tend to think it's a lot 'easier' to use mbti before you dig too deeply into it, and before you start analyzing all of the cognitive functions. While cognitive functions are interesting in and of themselves, I still think for the most part you can type pretty accurately just going by each of the four dichotomies. And there are pretty telltale behavioral signs, esp. in terms of how you approach the world in general, that point towards P/J. Just looking at all of my 'P' friends, vs. my 'J' friends -- it doesn't matter what other letters they have, there are marked similarities between all of the P's, and all of the J's. I suppose that's why generalities exist for each of the dichotomies.

(i hear this alot that it's best to test yourself without really knowing anything about it and actually I took a professional mbti test (nicholas lore from pathfinders career book)
i even really knew what mbti was....and i came out infp I Just don't want to believe anything blindly. I definitely don't want to trick myself into thinking i'm a type either. that's a biggie i want to be real/objective.
I get so confused on those forums(even hear) where they talk about infp/infj differences cause it's like how do i know? lol. sometimes i just want to say oh screw it lol i know who i am xDDD do i need a type to tell myself who i am haha. felt that way the enneagram too i was serious going to say forget it but then realized reason why i doubted being a type 6 so much was cause of the type 6's doubtful mind xDDDDD plus the seeing themselves in other E types it's maddening being a six i tell ya hahahah.

but i'll keep infp in mind but just like the whole description on Ni where they say several ideas coalesce into one instead of getting one idea and making five more i don't know i remember when i was younger i would be able to brainstorm but i'd prefer others to do it as i just watched them brainstorm ideas....i mean i was good at it when i was younger but i didn't really enjoy or not enjoy it pretty much i just prefer if someone else would do it(could be cause i just really wanted to be in the background especially now lol).

Just a simple example on this generality: P's tend to be labeled as more spontaneous, J's as more controlled and as 'planners'. Now, I CAN be extremely spontaneous at times, and I LIKE to think of myself as having the ability to be spontaneous. ;-) Just as the P's are going to plan for things at times, and might make lists or do that sort of thing because they decide they function better that way - or something (just an example). But the distinction is that *compared to my P friends*, I am not spontaneous, and am probably far from it. So I think when it comes to subjectively analyzing our own type, we run into problems, and often lean towards what we'd LIKE to think of ourselves as. As a J, I might think of all of the times I don't plan for anything, and the fact that I never make lists, or whatever - and then I'll start thinking I'm a P. But again, when comparing myself to a true P, there's a huge difference, I think. ( yeah i find where i plan is for is future goals, and i definitely especially lately if a friend asked me to do something with them
i want to when,where, and who's going to be there. when i was 10-17 that didn't matter to me so much now it's like can we have alittle structor in our activities of when and where. i even find when my friend got her license i realized how much i didn't like when we would go somewhere and then all of a sudden them say "lets go here" when i thought i'd be going home by that time(probably me being an introvert as well)

maybe i'm developing my j abit or alot xDD?

Also, a comment - what you bolded under the Ni description a few posts back - i.e. the shower stuff, and waking up the next day with a major insight - is probably one of the shallower descriptions of Ni. (stupid shallow descriptions meh lol :shock: thanks for clearing this up)

Personally I can't stand that more mystical slant to it, as I don't see it as a mystical process. And what you've described re. dreams and waking up with clarity...well...to me that's more of a human trait - just general psychology. All types could have that experience. And that kind of takes away from what Ni really is (there are some really good things written up on it in this forum, from people who actually USE it - not just taken off of a website).

(i can understand that i don't think so mystical myself i seriously think there is a process it's not just boom there's my answer i would assume it requires a method just like Si where you get info from somewhere.

can you send me some links from topics from people who actually use it,
maybe i'm missing something that you have a link to that could clear the ice on this issue..thank you so much. i'll do a search to it just seems on some discussions people are too general about it i guess not clear enough for me.)

(yeah that was the intj forum and i tend to do that; human nature
makes sense.
thank you for clearing that up cause right now i'm feeling slightly annoyed cause i feel i'm not getting clear answers on some things.

I realize you've already decided you're INFJ so it doesn't really matter what I or anyone else writes - plus, you know yourself better than any of us anyway. And in any event, mbti at its basic is supposed to be about appreciating differences and maybe a bit of self-awareness too...so if you've reached closure about your type, that's great!

( thanks for understanding and respecting that too...i feel some people just assume that they also know me better then myself on surface info i've given here. i feel i have reached a form of closure with infj to be quite honest but like you stated there may be more better info out there. do you have links? that helped you out of the fog cause i feel i'm in a mighty fog xDDD.
you also seem like your realistic about this and level headed also like you
really put some thought into understanding mbti....what i'm saying is
can you my teacher? i'm an eager and open minded pupil if your up for the challenge heh.

Oh, one more comment!! Back when I was really doing what you are doing, and digging into functions and various sites, I became quite confused. There can be a lot of conflicting info out there. Also, that 'INFJ or INFP?' site??? - scrap it, I say!! It'll likely cause much more confusion than help. :smile:

( oh yeah ever since i found that site i've had nothing but confusion thanks i was wandering if was just type XXXX lol. i do know it really is confusing trying to break these down would it help if i actually just read stuff
on infp infj as a whole type instead of seperatly or just sleep on it? lol.
i value your input it seems to be coming from a mature, well thought out place and that you truly understand mbti and yourself thank you so much.
(not going to lie i'll keep looking at infp; like i have been but i just need to know if i'm getting the right clear info/ reliable sites.

thank you so much again :smile: :hug:
this theory stuff makes me want to :steam: :violin: :D heh then :doh: myself lol.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
What rules out INTJ?

I couldn't read that many long posts. What are your interests and stuff? What are you good at? Why do you feel you are an INF?

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hi noigmn nice to meet you ^^D.

hmmm interests
anime/manga fma,naruto, maybe someday bleach),comedy"reba, still standing, george lopez, home improvement", love medical mysteries like house MD(i could listen to house run off his ideas anyday xDD same for jon stewart.

but seriously i just love to spend time with my friends and family i never really got to crazy about crafts, i find especially the hands on ones(majority are) difficult i tried scrapbooking i liked it but only did it once and guess i wanted something that i personally created.

i like yoga for the physical fitness but also the spirituality like it makes me feel more connected with everything, the world, people also more at peace and less anxious so it's also a anxiety coping tool hehe.

love meditation like nature sounds, native american flute again it soothes my anxious mind, giving it peace and contentment "today" calms any worries i have about the future.

health nut but am able to treat myself when i see it's deserved or at times give in too much(i'm harsh on myself here)

absolutly love music any kind as long as it has some kind of meaning beyond
the usual singing about killing/hatred/threats to other rappers/gangs.
i'll even like rappers who when i listen to there music and i see that they have a message other then as they appear. I don't judge music that has meaning and a message.

like i wrote off a song just because i didn't like when he said my pinkie is worth over some random amount of money everytime i hear it i say
"i don't care how much your pinkie costs it's not about that material BS lol"
or a brand name shoe/purse/car or how they have like 10 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and 5 cars. okay come on you can't tell me you couldn't of put your money to better use like maybe all the problems in this world. poor people, education, vh1 support the music kinda thing/donations/helping animals either financially or actually getting involved volunteering as mentioned above hehe.

hmmm why do i feel i'm nf oooh never been asked that.......may seem general but the fact that i am very emotionally expressive in how i feel about something like if someone's hurting don't be surprised if i cry right there
even i told my self i wouldn't (i'll fight but have absolute no control; i've gotten much better at this now...figures hehe).
maybe i'm having a hard time describing why i'm nf cause
i looked at intj cause of the tertiary Fi and dominate Ni but maybe i haven't gave it that much thought as infj/infp though i have looked at it.

hope that's helpful i don't know if this will help or not for discerning type.
any other questions i'm all ears if curious or need clarity.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hey,

I think this is a very interesting thread on Ni -- http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...s/14293-ni-mapping-between-signs-meaning.html

Related aside - it's easy to take a cognitive functions test and test out as having a high usage of a certain function, and also relate to function descriptions for that. But it's another matter to actually be on this site, and interact and observe those who *actually* have that function as a dominant one. That's when you can really start to see whether you have a solid, true grasp on the function, or whether you just think you do. ;) For example, I always test as having high Fi - pretty much tying with Ni - but when I start seeing Fi in 'action' - both on the boards and in real life - it becomes apparent that I don't exactly use it as a dominant process. This is one reason why I don't think digging into cognitive functions, and taking the function tests, is the best bet for determining type. In the end....cognitive functions only confused me more. Before learning about cognitive functions, I was relatively certain of my type - INxJ - and hadn't really ever tested otherwise. After learning about functions, suddenly I started thinking I was a P. But everyone who knows me, including people on this board who I've met in person, say I'm an INFJ, as if P isn't even a remote possibility. So -- I was back where I started, and shouldn't have even bothered with cognitive functions.:smile:

It may be most beneficial for you to just try to take a step back, maybe interact on here, and get a feel for various posters. Then you might be able to assess whether you identify more with INFP's as a whole, or INFJ's as a whole, or some other type altogether. Don't just observe one person of a certain type and then make your decision based on that -- as for one, they may be mistyped, and also there's variability within the same type. But over time you'll get more of a feel - vibes, patterns, generalities, tendencies - for each of the types. And maybe after observing and interacting for a while, one type will resonate a lot more with you than another.

And, final note - statement of the obvious here, but remember mbti is just 16 Types covering ALL of humanity. There's obviously a lot of variability and quirkiness in everyone, and people are complex....so the 16 types are sort of like 16 different trends. Just ways to classify people by temperamental and cognitive persuasions. 16 general ways to prioritize and approach life, interactions, and the world. And many/most people will start branching away from their 'instinctual' behaviors or thoughts, i.e. their preferences won't be immediately obvious, as they get older -- which would be balancing out. And personally I also like to view each type, and each dichotomy, as a spectrum. So, take ESTJ for example -- an ESTJ with a really pronounced 'J' preference is going to appear differently than an ESTJ with a very slight 'J' preference. Or, an ESTJ with a slight S is going to appear differently than one with a strong S preference. And you therefore can have all sorts of combinations, and 'flavors', within the general ESTJ type. You could possibly do the same spectrum scale with cognitive functions as well - although I haven't thought enough about how that would work (but I know a few people on here have explored that notion!).

(Also I should probably add that there are a lot of differences in opinion on this site too as far as the best way to determine type -- many look a lot more favorably on cognitive function analysis, for example!! So...well...keep that in mind when you're reading my posts!)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Nice to meet you too. :)

On first read, I thought you were INFJ, but then wasn't sure. Reading it again INFP seems a good fit. There's something in the writing style that gives me an INFP feel.

Maybe try to describe why you feel you have the functions Ni and Fi. And what they seem to be for you. One may be Fe or Ne, and be getting mistaken.

hi noigmn nice to meet you ^^D.

hmmm interests
anime/manga fma,naruto, maybe someday bleach),comedy"reba, still standing, george lopez, home improvement", love medical mysteries like house MD(i could listen to house run off his ideas anyday xDD same for jon stewart.

but seriously i just love to spend time with my friends and family i never really got to crazy about crafts, i find especially the hands on ones(majority are) difficult i tried scrapbooking i liked it but only did it once and guess i wanted something that i personally created.

i like yoga for the physical fitness but also the spirituality like it makes me feel more connected with everything, the world, people also more at peace and less anxious so it's also a anxiety coping tool hehe.

love meditation like nature sounds, native american flute again it soothes my anxious mind, giving it peace and contentment "today" calms any worries i have about the future.

health nut but am able to treat myself when i see it's deserved or at times give in too much(i'm harsh on myself here)

absolutly love music any kind as long as it has some kind of meaning beyond
the usual singing about killing/hatred/threats to other rappers/gangs.
i'll even like rappers who when i listen to there music and i see that they have a message other then as they appear. I don't judge music that has meaning and a message.

like i wrote off a song just because i didn't like when he said my pinkie is worth over some random amount of money everytime i hear it i say
"i don't care how much your pinkie costs it's not about that material BS lol"
or a brand name shoe/purse/car or how they have like 10 bedrooms 3 bathrooms and 5 cars. okay come on you can't tell me you couldn't of put your money to better use like maybe all the problems in this world. poor people, education, vh1 support the music kinda thing/donations/helping animals either financially or actually getting involved volunteering as mentioned above hehe.

hmmm why do i feel i'm nf oooh never been asked that.......may seem general but the fact that i am very emotionally expressive in how i feel about something like if someone's hurting don't be surprised if i cry right there
even i told my self i wouldn't (i'll fight but have absolute no control; i've gotten much better at this now...figures hehe).
maybe i'm having a hard time describing why i'm nf cause
i looked at intj cause of the tertiary Fi and dominate Ni but maybe i haven't gave it that much thought as infj/infp though i have looked at it.

hope that's helpful i don't know if this will help or not for discerning type.
any other questions i'm all ears if curious or need clarity.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
It may be most beneficial for you to just try to take a step back, maybe interact on here, and get a feel for various posters. Then you might be able to assess whether you identify more with INFP's as a whole, or INFJ's as a whole, or some other type altogether. Don't just observe one person of a certain type and then make your decision based on that -- as for one, they may be mistyped, and also there's variability within the same type. But over time you'll get more of a feel - vibes, patterns, generalities, tendencies - for each of the types. And maybe after observing and interacting for a while, one type will resonate a lot more with you than another.

I think this is good advice for the OP. I actually feel much more confident in my INFJ type having read some of your posts, cascademn, and consistently having found so much to relate to and so little to argue with. This goes for some of the other INFJs on the board as well. I've questioned my J, as have a few of my friends, but the bottom line is that I rarely get that "yes, YES, that!" feeling when reading most INFP posts. I've read most of the "You know you're an INFP when..." thread and felt like the majority of the suggestions were coming from a completely different place, and while there's a lot on the INFJ version of the same thread that doesn't fit me, I very rarely thought, "huh?"

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hey all :headphne:
sorry i haven't been ignoring you guys
I notice there's some posts so tomorrow i'll respond more in depth.
I have to admit i have been looking at isfp/infp
and took cascademn's advice and have been looking at
them whole just as a type so have been looking on this forum here
at isfp and i'm finding i relate quite abit to the isfp
i'm getting what you said hokie the "yes yes that /or tah dah lol"
going to keep looking at infp/isfp also was looking at istp but i don't know about that but i have a feeling that's because i'm a female and i have a hard time seeing me as a stereotypical thinker(i do not mind my emotions but i do tend to find i keep them hidden showing them(the really vulnerable stuff) only to people i know but i'm sure everyone does that in some form.
it's like the stereotype istp's cause of the t don't feel or get emotional or care but from reading on here they show in actions i can see where i'd prefer that but i don't mind hugging, touchyness lol. (probably being general but i don't quite grasp istp i don't want to judge something i could be unclear about.

i'll just keep an open mind.
thanks i'll reply better to respond to noigmn's post :hi:
the question about why i feel ni or fi i have to put some thought into that one cause that's tricky to describe lol. i'll get back don't worry haha.
did the same thing with trying to understand tertiary ti and si post...had to sit on it for abit.(still sitting on it lol...it's hard to put words to why i'm looking at those it's tricky)
tootles i'll be back :D

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's It Like To Be A Thinking Woman? What's It Like To Be A Feeling Man?
(is this site accurate on female thinkers? if so i'm going to look at that more as a possibility heh)

most importantly i found this link about extraverter sensing and extraverted intuition also introverted sensing it goes into detail about it and how
someone can mistake extraverted intuition for extraverted sensing
check it out ^^D
How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing
by Linda V. Berens and Judy Robb
How to tell the forest from the trees!
Extraverted Sensing - Notices the rich detail in the whole forest - the trees, their color and texture, their sounds, their smells, the pattern of light and dark...

Introverted Sensing - Notes that this forest has always been here and recalls being in a forest from childhood, smelling that smell and the fun of playing hide and seek behind the trees... (this is so me right here ^^D a certain smell or the way sun hits the ground or how the chilly air feels/music notes can just take me back to childhood if i just close my eyes.)

Extraverted iNtuiting - Thinks of the fractal patterns, the wide range of possibilities in the forest, how this forest is part of the ecosystem and is affected by polllution from the city...

Introverted iNtuiting - Recognizes that the forest is deeply symbolic of all of life in its interconnectedness and constant recycling and growth and foresees that this forest will soon be torn down for a housing development...
How to tell iNtuiting from extraverted Sensing
more useful stuff in the link.
///
Extraverted Sensing, the MBTI, and the Artisan Temperament..Some Questions Answered
another goodie "Problematic Definitions of N
In our work, we have found that a vast number of_ S_Ps select "N" responses rather than the "S" responses on the MBTI® , Their behavior and reports have been taken as typical of those with a preference for N. Because of not using the added information in the temperament model or not paying close attention to Jung's definitions and Myers descriptions, the observations of people with _S_P preferences have filtered back into the mainstream definitions of N. When we go back to Jung's descriptions, we find these descriptions have veered off course from the original meaning. " interesting lol.
////
Temperament and Stress in Our Everday Life
////
Temperament Theory
(good breakdown of concrete and abstract hopefully it will be insightful to others as well.
////
Wizards in the Wilderness and the Search for True Type
"Simply, journeys have beginnings, middles and ends. Sometimes loose ends, but ends none the less. Sometimes missing middles and raw beginnings. If patterns are like movie themes then process is the plot. And a plot with holes is painful -- process is hard to explain, but we notice and complain when essential elements are missing.

Unfortunately, we just can't point to one moment in a movie and say "This, my friends, is the plot." Or one tree in the woods: "This, folks, is the forest." Or, "he's using metaphor, he's an ENFP." Metaphor may frequently play a part of the ENFP pattern, but it is not the whole pattern; other types can and do use metaphor as a process in service of their particular type pattern. This is why Jung's functions challenge us. "
"For each new person we meet we must forge (or perhaps "follow") a new path determined by everything else we know about the whole terrain and all other available paths. As practitioners, we can draw on:

* Sixteen unique type patterns
* Jung's eight mental processes
(functions in their attitudes: Se, Si, Ne, Ni, Te, Ti, Fe, Fi)
* Four temperament patterns in terms of core needs, values and related talents
* Interactional processes like directing vs. informing (exemplified by the directive "forge" vs. the informative "follow" in the paragraph above)
* Type development
* Other factors: gender, culture, age, generation, life experiences
* and all those patterns that still lie in "undiscovered country."

(wow i feel this must show it's more then just a type or whatever / they look to other factors to get the whole complete picture(i know it's obvious lol just thought this was interesting to point out)

above quotes from article link.
i got sent a story and
this is actually going to help me understand type and is related to this discussion i started just trying to figure out what function use is used in this story.

now i would be the one looking at the trees and wondering why is the lady frowning (my mom would be the lady frowning lol) si or se? this i think will help me see isfp or isfj?
actually a good example is when there was a power outage (the one where majority of the country's power was out a black out there we go.
there was a full moon and i could just see the blue light hitting the ground so beautifully and it was actually lighting up the house it was so bright and i was just amazed about it (still would be today hehe; love nature) so i went and got her to show her and after she sees it she's like
"so you got me to show me that yes it was pretty it's the moon"
i said "but there's no streetlights so it's so beautiful you can see the light hitting everything if the streetlights were you couldn't appreciate the beauty of it as much. then i went on to say "you got to appreciate these things life lol(being funny) she replyed i know hehe.(i'm the younger one haha; daughter)

MY FRIDAY STORY

See the Trees
By William Lambert

I lived in Alabama on a half-acre lot blessed huge oak trees that were 40 feet in diameter. They were HUGE! The house was laid out such that every bedroom faced the backyard. Each bedroom had a large picture window. The view was breathtaking. I enjoyed just looking at the trees. In the fall I would identify a particular leaf that was falling and watched it for what seemed liked 5 minutes before it fell to earth.

One day I invited this married couple over to enjoy the view from the bedroom window. I took them into the bedroom and excitedly pointed to the trees out of the window and exclaimed, "just look"!

After about 20 seconds there was no comment from the couple. I however, noticed a big frown on the woman's face.

I said, "What's wrong". She was reluctant to reply.

I insisted and again said, "What's wrong?"

She relented and said, "Don't you see those fingerprints on the glass?"

I turned and looked and there were what seemed to be fifty or more fingerprints on the glass. I ran for the Windex to clean the glass. The lady "Oh, I didn't mean for you to clean it now."

The morale here is this. That lady never saw the trees. Even when I tried to point them out, She missed it! I didn't see the fingerprints. I was looking through the glass not at it.

When the fingerprints were pointed out to me, I saw them and removed them. The lady never saw the trees. She focused on the fingerprints and she never got passed them.

Life is much like that. There are things in life that are good and things that are bad. You choose which things you want to focus on. I focus on the trees.

What are you focusing on?

from MyDailyInsights.com.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
idk :shock:

Last edited:
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
okay after much confusion :steam: :shock:
here it is if any one is curious or cares ;) probably have beaten this to death.

alright after looking at what i think would be my parents types (dad: istp mom: either esfj or isfj probably more isfj)

but to summarize it
an ISFJ with a really strong Fi and Ni, have a good handle on Fe i guess it's just under developed or average(** yeah the latter more like it now more balanced) which is probably why i thought isfp and still do from time to time.
if i had to put the keisey temperaments in order it would go as such.
SJ, SP(to the point i can surprisingly be laid back as long as i know everything is taken care of and my worries have subsided. been called a worry wart on many occasions not to mock just to point out), NF(who doesn't want meaning in there life i think that's what confused me),NT.

also what pointed to ISFJ esp. SJ was i like the idea of preparing too much to be an ISFP esp SP such as i would love and do love haha learning in a structored environment where i know what to do, what's expected, and i can have an environment where i can test out the skill first instead of jumping in head first eeek no thanks....to nerve wrecking and stressful to go in unplanned.

i did take into consideration that i could have just rubbed off traits of my mother and i know i have but isfj explains why i get so anxious as does
type 6w7 when there is a big decision to make requiring change i get emotional get teary eyed but it's purely a stress release how i deal with all that's changing around me. probably get emotional like that cause with all i have been through doing what i'm going to do (go to college/start relying on myself after mother gets herself together this summer) it's flat out scary especially when it's something new but you know it needs to get done lot of inner confliction part of me wants to hang on to the little girl inside me but i need to realize i'll have a inner child in me but i need to grow up and accept responsibility as i am eager too but scared at the same time (haha type 6 indeed just a huge contradiction).

Last edited:

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I know this thread is old, but I'm going to comment anyway.

My husband and I probably have our worst fallouts over this preference -- he hates it when I reveal private information about him without his permission...

INFJ

About 99% of the members who have commented in this thread disagree, but I have an INFJ friend (confirmed) who has a tendency of telling things I've told her that I didn't exactly want revealed to other people. It wasn't done maliciously but as a way to connect with people or to "build bridges," as someone else said, amongst people. I find it annoying, but I understand why she does it. Although she's private about herself, she definitely reveals things about other people who are close to her in order to make connections. Very Fe.

Personally, the distinction between INFJ private and INFP private is the INFJ is graceful at concealing things about herself. In small, intimate groups she talks freely about friends and family but manages not to mention a single detail about herself while the INFP keeps all fo that to herself and is more hesitant when asked about details of herself, friends, and family. The INFP Fi likes to internalize things while the INFJ Fe, to a certain extent, likes affirmation. The INFJ has a talent of never talking about herself but always around herself.

Also, I am relatively vocal about my values. I'll speak my mind on an issue if I feel there is an obvious double standard or inconsistency in someone else's argument. My INFJ friend, on the other hand, will just shut up so as not to hurt any feelings. I couldn't even imagine ignoring something offensive said or done because I wanted to keep the group "harmonious." Fe will do that for you. I, the INFP, will put up a good fight when it comes to my values.

I hope that helped some.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know this thread is old, but I'm going to comment anyway.

INFJ

About 99% of the members who have commented in this thread disagree, but I have an INFJ friend (confirmed) who has a tendency of telling things I've told her that I didn't exactly want revealed to other people. It wasn't done maliciously but as a way to connect with people or to "build bridges," as someone else said, amongst people. I find it annoying, but I understand why she does it. Although she's private about herself, she definitely reveals things about other people who are close to her in order to make connections. Very Fe.

Personally, the distinction between INFJ private and INFP private is the INFJ is graceful at concealing things about herself. In small, intimate groups she talks freely about friends and family but manages not to mention a single detail about herself while the INFP keeps all fo that to herself and is more hesitant when asked about details of herself, friends, and family. The INFP Fi likes to internalize things while the INFJ Fe, to a certain extent, likes affirmation. The INFJ has a talent of never talking about herself but always around herself.

Also, I am relatively vocal about my values. I'll speak my mind on an issue if I feel there is an obvious double standard or inconsistency in someone else's argument. My INFJ friend, on the other hand, will just shut up so as not to hurt any feelings. I couldn't even imagine ignoring something offensive said or done because I wanted to keep the group "harmonious." Fe will do that for you. I, the INFP, will put up a good fight when it comes to my values.

I really, really doubt either of these can be attributed to personality type, at least not more than roughly.

My father is INFP and he is prone to telling others' business, simply because he doesn't see the problem in doing so. Honesty is one of his virtues, but sometimes he is too honest. However, getting personal info from me, about myself and others alike, is difficult, to say the least. And if I've been told to not tell something specifically, you can just forget about it. I don't think I'm an anomaly amongst INFJs when it comes to that, either.

And I'm very vocal about issues. Whereas my father, again, is more reticent because discord interferes with his inner sense of peace. You have to keep in mind other things like Enneagram (he is Type 9, the peacemaker) and the individual themself; some people are just more outspoken than others.