User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 25

  1. #11
    Senior Member Langrenus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I'm abandoning hope of having this all sorted out by bedtime.
    Think of it as a blessing. Sometimes these labels are really not helpful at all.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

  2. #12
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    PM, were you closer to your father or mother? What type do you think this parent is?

    I ask this because my father is an INTP, and while growing up I really viewed myself as an introvert. Then one day someone told me "You're no introvert. In fact you're always the life of the party." But because my father and I are very similar (ENTP and INTP) I think I naturally viewed myself as an introvert and I have a lot of behaviors that are like an introvert.

    So one approach you could take is if your type is similar to one of your parents then you may be mistyping yourself as too S or N because your parent was S or N and you learned the corresponding behavior from them. So which parent were you closest to and what type are they?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    PM, were you closer to your father or mother? What type do you think this parent is?

    I ask this because my father is an INTP, and while growing up I really viewed myself as an introvert. Then one day someone told me "You're no introvert. In fact you're always the life of the party." But because my father and I are very similar (ENTP and INTP) I think I naturally viewed myself as an introvert and I have a lot of behaviors that are like an introvert.
    Most people don't see me as an introvert, either. But in front of other people, I cover up my vulnerable side with light banter reminiscent to the ENTP, but I'm rarely, if ever, revealing about my true self...at least, not verbally.

  4. #14
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Most people don't see me as an introvert, either. But in front of other people, I cover up my vulnerable side with light banter reminiscent to the ENTP, but I'm rarely, if ever, revealing about my true self...at least, not verbally.
    Well you are an INTJ, and INxJ's usually give an early impression of being an extravert. I know enough INTJ's now that I can recognize one after just a little bit of time. INTJ's look like an extravert, but no other extravert quite acts like an INTJ. I don't think I could recongnize an INFJ though without getting to know them fairly well first.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  5. #15
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    PM, were you closer to your father or mother? What type do you think this parent is?

    I ask this because my father is an INTP, and while growing up I really viewed myself as an introvert. Then one day someone told me "You're no introvert. In fact you're always the life of the party." But because my father and I are very similar (ENTP and INTP) I think I naturally viewed myself as an introvert and I have a lot of behaviors that are like an introvert.

    So one approach you could take is if your type is similar to one of your parents then you may be mistyping yourself as too S or N because your parent was S or N and you learned the corresponding behavior from them. So which parent were you closest to and what type are they?
    I'm closer to my mother than my father although I pretty sure they're both SJs. I'm not really able to figure out what types my parents are since they're been such huge influences over my life. I can see my mother being an ISFJ and my father an ESTJ but I'm not very sure.

    My brother is a INTP and my sis is ISTP and I've always thought that my brother and I communicated more easily than my sister and I. But what are the chances of having two intuitives under one roof?
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  6. #16
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    If your parents are both SJ's then I'd say that you are an ENFJ, but you've developed your Si more than the average ENFJ making you seem like an S in a lot of ways. I think this is a good thing too btw. You have your natural Ni to guide you, but you can use your developed Si too whenever it would be useful to do so. So I'd say you are an ENFJ with lots of S tendencies.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  7. #17
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well you are an INTJ, and INxJ's usually give an early impression of being an extravert. I know enough INTJ's now that I can recognize one after just a little bit of time. INTJ's look like an extravert, but no other extravert quite acts like an INTJ. I don't think I could recongnize an INFJ though without getting to know them fairly well first.
    why do you think INXJs give off early extravert vibes? I thought I was the only one who does this. Any thoughts/observations would be appreciated.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  8. #18
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I also have been doing some research in the NEO-PI (five factor model) and looking at the openness scores. I took a web version of the test and had high openness, but I don't know if I was testing to get a certain score.
    I looked over your score and a bunch of your posts. I would believe you are an N based upon the distribution of your FFM scores and the exploratory nature of your posts.

    One of the key things from the NEO is that you scored lower in intellectualism, something that should not have happened if you were aiming for a higher score. That, combined with an otherwise very high open score, would indicate a high probability of you being an N. Normally distributed with a 0.7 correlation would put you in the population area, I would guess, around 15-40%, with ~30% and less being Ns.

    The other thing to note is that MBTI uses a different distribution, namely "none", although the development of the test has effectively created a bimodal distribution, so one could that one is assuming a type when you are somewhere in the middle of the pack and wouldn't express or even internally have much of either description.

    If you feel this is the case, I would suggest assuming ExFJ rather than trying to fit into one or the other types.

  9. #19
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    why do you think INXJs give off early extravert vibes? I thought I was the only one who does this. Any thoughts/observations would be appreciated.
    The extravert vibe is a definite trend I've noticed with INxJ's. I know more INTJ's than INFJ's, but both seem to have a lot of energy and can seem outgoing (although INTJ's usually don't have good people skills). I have an INTJ friend that I've known for about 20 years, and if you get him on a subject that he is knowledgable about he can talk non-stop for hours (no exageration). I have to interupt him if I want to say even the slightest thing, otherwise I will not get a word in. One of my bosses at work (aren't corporations great :rolli: ) is INTJ. I thought she was an extravert at first until I talked with her once after a meeting. Once I saw how she approached everything, even her personal life, with a rediculous need for efficiency I realized that she was an INTJ (she talks just like my friend too, which is to say, nonstop).

    In fact I've encountered several other INTJ's that have this extraverted feel to them. There is only one person (also someone I work with) with I think is an INTJ and does not have an extraverted feel, but he is in his late 60's, so maybe the energy wears off with age. Also I am quite aware of the difference between an ENTJ and INTJ, so I know that these are INTJ's. ENTJ's have a more abrasive and aggresive personality, and yet somehow the INTJ seems to have poorer social skills as a whole. (No offense to INTJ's that is just how it is.)

    Also my wife, ladypinkington, is an INFJ and almost everyone confuses her for an extravert until they get to know her fairly well. I've only known one other person who I was sure was INFJ (she told me she was), and she came across as an extravert at first as well. It was only after getting to know quite a bit about her that I had some indications that she was an introvert.

    It's actually very common to see INxJ's with this extraverted feeling. I'm not yet sure if it is universal for every INxJ, but I believe that it shows up more often than not.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  10. #20
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The extravert vibe is a definite trend I've noticed with INxJ's. I know more INTJ's than INFJ's, but both seem to have a lot of energy and can seem outgoing (although INTJ's usually don't have good people skills). I have an INTJ friend that I've known for about 20 years, and if you get him on a subject that he is knowledgable about he can talk non-stop for hours (no exageration). I have to interupt him if I want to say even the slightest thing, otherwise I will not get a word in. One of my bosses at work (aren't corporations great :rolli: ) is INTJ. I thought she was an extravert at first until I talked with her once after a meeting. Once I saw how she approached everything, even her personal life, with a rediculous need for efficiency I realized that she was an INTJ (she talks just like my friend too, which is to say, nonstop).

    In fact I've encountered several other INTJ's that have this extraverted feel to them. There is only one person (also someone I work with) with I think is an INTJ and does not have an extraverted feel, but he is in his late 60's, so maybe the energy wears off with age. Also I am quite aware of the difference between an ENTJ and INTJ, so I know that these are INTJ's. ENTJ's have a more abrasive and aggresive personality, and yet somehow the INTJ seems to have poorer social skills as a whole. (No offense to INTJ's that is just how it is.)

    Also my wife, ladypinkington, is an INFJ and almost everyone confuses her for an extravert until they get to know her fairly well. I've only known one other person who I was sure was INFJ (she told me she was), and she came across as an extravert at first as well. It was only after getting to know quite a bit about her that I had some indications that she was an introvert.

    It's actually very common to see INxJ's with this extraverted feeling. I'm not yet sure if it is universal for every INxJ, but I believe that it shows up more often than not.
    I think that I have pretty good social skills these days, but they were hard-earned to be sure. I'm surprised that the INTJs you know are so talkative; I was thinking about it the other day, and I would say that while I'm not shy or soft-spoken, the amount which I speak would probably betray my introverted nature to someone on the look-out for such things.

    Protean: for what it's worth I get a pretty solid "N" vibe from you. Not all Ns are space cadets.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Similar Threads

  1. Am I a Sensor or Intuitive??
    By liYA in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 04:38 PM
  2. Who am I?? INFP, ENFP or INTP??? Please help.
    By Ernesto in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 12:59 AM
  3. Am I an ENTP or an ENFP
    By G-Virus in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Am I an ENTP or ENFP?
    By HeraldofHope in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 08:08 PM
  5. Am I a "J" or a "P"?
    By Lateralus in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO