User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Default Ne as my dominant function ... but MBTI is INFP - can someone help explain?

Alrighty, I've hit another "wall" of sorts ... I have taken a couple of these cognitive function tests and Ne shows up as my dominant function over Fi.

But is this not in contradiction to my MBTI type?

Te is also strong, and in the tertiary position ... but this is supposedly my inferior function. Si is markedly lower, Se the lowest. But, some of you may recall my initial entry into the forum was to try to discern between INFP vs ENFP, and, using the determining factor of "do people energize or drain you" - I concurred that my typing of INFP was accurate.

How does one make sense of these types of contradictions?

I understand this is not a "black & white" subject area, but any additional insight is appreciated.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Forget the tests, read up on the functions and decide for yourself what you think your function order is.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Yeah. Forget the tests.

If you are Ne dominant, you are either ENTP or ENFP by definition. So if you are INFP, you are not Ne dominant.

If you have strong Ne and strong Te, you might want to consider ENFP. Extroverted does not necessarily mean social. All extroverted means is that your dominant function is extroverted.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My functions are all whacked out too. The INFP description fits me best, so I stick with it. It's that simple, you always seemed like an INFP to me regardless.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

deleted

BS. You can have Ne dominant and be an INFP. Whatever profile fits the best, that is what you are.

garbage

I'd go so far as to say that function ordering, the simplified MBTI, and even Jack Flack's system attempt to measure the same thing but from different perspectives.. they may or may not exactly line up.

I'm not so sure that the orientation of one's dominant function necessarily makes for overall introversion/extraversion. I personally prefer the simpler models, such as the base MBTI which keeps each of the dichotomies independent.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I've been reading more about the functions from the links in the resource sticky ... both are close, but honestly, I resonate with Ne ... it is how my whole day unwinds, seeing connections, exploring the what-if's. I know my Fi is strong; I just don't sense that it is driving the car.

This is what bugs me ... a test is meant to give a definitive answer by the very nature of its structure. But ultimately, one has to connect the dots for themselves it seems. I suppose there is no cookie-cutter approach that works to unfailingly define the complexities inherent in all individuals.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

You could read these descriptions from BestFitType.com:

INFP - http://www.bestfittype.com/infp.html

ENFP - http://www.bestfittype.com/enfp.html

I'll bet you one of these will sound pretty close and the other will sound dead on accurate.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Neither one of those sounds "right on" but I do think I am an INFP. I just don't get an energy charge from people, you have no idea how much I would LIKE to be energized by them, but so far in my life that has not been the case.

SO I don't disagree with INFP; I just don't think I am as insular as the descriptions tend to be.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Hmm...

Perhaps your experiencing something like this?

When people read Lenore's descriptions of types and attitudes, or even the attempts at exegesis posted on this site, they seldom recognize themselves in their dominant function. The reaction is usually something like, "Whah? Maybe sorta kinda, but this hardly seems like me."

A dominant function, after all, is your main universe of description, and a universe of description does not include itself. It's the lens, not what you see. The dominant function is so ingrained in your personality that you might think that everyone has it also. Jung says that he took a while to figure out that not everyone else was an Introverted Thinker (has anyone else seen this quote or know where it is?). Since everyone has arms, you wouldn't say "I'm a person with arms" when you describe yourself. Same with the dominant function.

[...]
    Source
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin