• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New to Forums: INFJ or INFP?

INF?2121

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Four
Browsing through here it looks like there is a pretty extensive thread about P's vs. J's, but I think it made me more confused rather than simplify things.

I've taken the MBTI test a number of times and EVERY single time it came out as INFJ. The judging part was graded as moderate(33%). Not sure if anyone is familiar with mypersonality.info, but I took that test and the results there said INFP and that I was 53% of a perceiver. The socionics type assistant I recently found out about and that graded me as an INFP. I know none of you on here know me so I'll give a quick summary of myself.

21 year old male college student, Psych major, creative writing minor.
Would like to get into counseling/become a therapist or my childhood dream of being a commercial pilot.
Have many acquaintances, but few friends and only a few very close friends.
Feel like I often don't fit in anywhere
Hopeless-romantic type
Hate superficiality with a passion
Not very detail oriented
Judgemental of others at first glance, but open minded and willing to give others a chance when I actually meet them.
More of an abstract thinker.
Impatient
Loving and caring

deleted
What do you think you are?

How many tests have said J and how many have said P?

Is socionics the same as MBTI? No.

Welcome to the damn group. We need more groupies.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First, welcome. :)

Do you happen to know your Enneagram?

Browsing through here it looks like there is a pretty extensive thread about P's vs. J's, but I think it made me more confused rather than simplify things.

I've taken the MBTI test a number of times and EVERY single time it came out as INFJ. The judging part was graded as moderate(33%). Not sure if anyone is familiar with mypersonality.info, but I took that test and the results there said INFP and that I was 53% of a perceiver. The socionics type assistant I recently found out about and that graded me as an INFP. I know none of you on here know me so I'll give a quick summary of myself.

This above would make me favor INFJ, but it's FAR from conclusive. INFP in socionics often (but not always) means INFj in MBTI.

Were the INFJ scores from an official MBTI test? Personality page is pretty good, and I like it, but I wouldn't trust it as much as the official MBTI.

21 year old male college student, Psych major, creative writing minor.
Would like to get into counseling/become a therapist or my childhood dream of being a commercial pilot.
Have many acquaintances, but few friends and only a few very close friends.
Feel like I often don't fit in anywhere
Hopeless-romantic type
Hate superficiality with a passion
Not very detail oriented
Judgemental of others at first glance, but open minded and willing to give others a chance when I actually meet them.
Impatient
Loving and caring

These describe both INFJ and INFP.

Do you usually take an informational approach to leadership ("Hey, there are alot of dishes in the sink.") or a direct approach ("Please wash the dishes?").

Even though are you are an emotional creature, how in tune with your feelings are you really? Do you usually know, or do you have to figure it out - sometimes being oblivious to how you really feel?

Does your mind tend to 'skip around' when you are thinking about something, or does it usually stick to one topic and dig deeply?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Psych major, creative writing minor.
Impatient
Loving and caring

These points in particular cause me to lean heavily INFJ. It isn't that INFPs don't display these traits, it's just that INFJs do so alarmingly more. What's more, is that although I am an INFJ and my boyfriend is an INFP --between the two of us I would be described as loving and caring by outsiders more often than he because I am more publicly demonstrative comparatively.

INF?2121

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Four
Thanks so much for the quick replies everyone and glad to meet you all. To answer some of your questions the MBTI test I was referring to was the Jung Typology Test you can take at the HumanMetrics site. Udog, my Enneagram is a type IV: Romantic/artist. I wasn't sure if that would help distinguish my P or J characteristic so I guess I didn't mention it in my OP. In terms of the other questions you asked Udog the only one I could honestly give you with a firm answer is that I consider myself to identify my emotions pretty well. In terms of my mind wandering vs. digging deep into one thought and informational vs. direct, it really changes from time to time. Could you give me a few more examples though by what exactly you mean by indirect vs. direct approach?

And finally Thursday thanks so much for that webpage. wow I didn't know such ridiculously in depth analysis of this difference existed on the net!

redacted

If you really want to know, read SolitaryWalker's profiles of INFJ and INFP (search for them, they're in the NF idyllic). They're long, but I guarantee you'll know after reading them.