• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

developing N

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm an ISTJ and I sometimes hear about how it would be good for my type to develop the intuitive functions. My question is how do you know whether an ISTJ is relatively balanced with respect to N and S? What does an unbalanced one look like or do? What are the steps to take if one needs more balance?

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm an ISTJ and I sometimes hear about how it would be good for my type to develop the intuitive functions. My question is how do you know whether an ISTJ is relatively balanced with respect to N and S? What does an unbalanced one look like or do? What are the steps to take if one needs more balance?

I've wondered how to develop N too.

N's please help us iNtuitards!

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ

Imagination. Creativity. Abnormality. Uniqueness.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've wondered how to develop N too.

N's please help us iNtuitards!

Um.....

Well, N comes so naturally for me...

Random ideas:

Play poker. Against as much of a variety of opponents as you can. Set a time limit for your decisions. Say... 30 seconds, then work your way down. Go with your first instinct. Don't second guess yourself.

Join a roleplaying and/or improv acting group.

When someone is talking, try to mentally finish their sentences. (Just don't let this interfere with listening to them!)

Brainstorm a list such as this one...

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I wouldn't know how to answer that.

But investigating topics like discrete mathematics and existentialist philosophy might be fun. Hypotheses : The more you will yourself to play with mindphnk topics the sadder and dumber and more N you get.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
People are being too specific. You HAVE to start with the basics. If you can't, well...you can't.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
People are being too specific. You HAVE to start with the basics. If you can't, well...you can't.

What are these basics you speak of? It comes so naturally for me that I don't even know.

Conclusion:

Go ask another S who's done it...

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ

What I stated earlier. Creativity and Imagination is the best start. Day dream. Be a kid in your mind. It will begin to connect neurons you don't normally use by doing so. You will never become a N primary (that is decided by genetics) but you can become in tune with it to understand it.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
What I stated earlier. Creativity and Imagination is the best start. Day dream. Be a kid in your mind. It will begin to connect neurons you don't normally use by doing so. You will never become a N primary (that is decided by genetics) but you can become in tune with it to understand it.

I don't think that's helpful. HOW do you do that? What does that even mean? Sure that may make sense to us, but your getting responses like this:

Easy for you to say.

You're gonna have to be more specific than that.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A good example of Ne (your inferior function) is making random connections to things. I'll try to be as clear as possible.

So say you look at your car. Your car is red, what do you associate red with in your life. Perhaps the jam you put on your toast for breakfast. Then you could say... Associate the breakfast with what you ate yesterday. Then that reminds you, your best friend that moved away a few years ago called that morning. Then you would have a huge nostalgia moment about your old life and how things were. All that from your car! That is how Ne goes on within myself.

As for outward intuition, I also make random connections to things. It gets all the more interesting if I so happened to be thinking about it at that moment, because then I'll have a random outburst in a conversation about random things that mean nothing to other people but mean the world and make a lot of sense to me. I then feel kinda silly and get weird looks, but hey. That's intuition at work, that's how I keep conversations interesting.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you are asking me to tell people how to day dream, then yes, I can not simplify it more then that.

N is a macro, surreal state of mind. The best way is to just day dream and think of new possibilities of your life. That is as simple as I can make it. Hell, sensors can day dream on how many ways they can get a girl/guy for example. It's a start.

You can NOT instruct a person on how to use their mind, only guide them.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
Study mathematics, only way to do it right imo

There are many S's who are great mathematicians because it is based on logic. Only those who are theorists can be described as N prime. I don't see this as a valid way.

D'Artagnan

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hmmm... One of my best friends IRL is an ISTj so I'll just give the advice on 'N'ness that I would give him (if he were to ask for it) :rolleyes: I find that he tends to get too comfortable with where he is at the time and ignores all ideas of change/growth :sleeping: He's pretty serious and is known for cutting through and not taking any bs. Not that he doesn't have a great sense of humour, he's just very cool about it. I would advise him to let go every now and do something unexpected. I look at it from an Ne perspective so the easiest way I can think of is 'adventuring' (a concept all ENTps should hold close to their heart :wubbie: ). Just go out for the day/night without any too many plans and give yourself the opportunity to think on your feet. Its important not to stagnant and to view every minute as a chance to experience something new and better. Better yet, get yourself your very own ENTp and they'll drag you with them, kicking and screaming :yes:

Otherwise(if that sounds too taxing :dont: ), just get a stack of books on existentialism and consider that its all a big game and nothing is truly real. Whatever floats your boat :shock:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ

Basically, I agree with Costrin. That is too vague. But I couldn't help notice you mentioned genetics. Isn't type decided by education and what you're subject to when you're young?

You can NOT instruct a person on how to use their mind, only guide them.

You can force them to try and understand inherently N concepts though. Abstract math was like chinese for me, in the beginning. I eventually grasped the bulk of what was required of me.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Basically, I agree with Costrin. That is too vague. But I couldn't help notice you mentioned genetics. Isn't type decided by education and what you're subject to when you're young?

Uh-oh, nature vs nurture debate incoming.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ

No because I can see types in developing children (under 6 months). The problem is most people here associate types with MBTI which is too basic and only explains about 70% of personality theory.

Your pesonality type is HARDWARE. You are born with it. How you develop it according to your environment is your SOFTWARE. There, some computer speak for you.

You guys are trying to force people to study things but they THINK in a sensor way so they will DEVELOP that knowledge in a sensor way. That includes mathematics, philosophy, etc...

You have to go to an almost child like state to become in touch with inferior functions.

There is one other possibility and that is to consistently surround yourself with N types and avoid S's. Your brain will naturally adapt and grow its N portion to be able to understand things. However, you will always be a S.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
You can force them to try and understand inherently N concepts though. Abstract math was like chinese for me, in the beginning. I eventually grasped the bulk of what was required of me.

This has nothing to do with Intuitive vs. Sensor. I don't know if everyone understands the difference between the two here...

And how the hell do you force someone into a subconscious communication state that they are not naturally. Seriously.