• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

developing N

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't think YOU understand the difference between the two if you think creativity and imagination is an "N" thing.

Again I was talking about thought and mind to develop the subconscious (Ni):newwink:. Again, I think you are adding a physical element like the other poster I responded too when I am not talking about that. There are plenty of creative S's, but it is how they go about that creativity is what is difference. Think outside of the box of the word.

As for imagination...imagination is a N trait for every person. Not a S trait. You MAY imagine things in a sensory way that you feel comfortable with, but your N traits will still be forming it. You just may ignore what it is trying to tell you. If you notice every single N response has responded in that imagination is the main thing to develop (but depending on Ni or Ne it is different). I guess you could argue how you imagine things could be the level of your N, but if I tell you to imagine something you have never heard of before, then your N will come to the forefront in trying to shape it.

Maybe I should have been more specific in that post for you sensors.:)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm talking about your mind and thinking processes, not physical realities. The whole "thinking outside the box" fits those two words.

However, this is an excellent example of the difference between S and N just on what you perceived I was saying in your mind, when in fact what I am trying to get across is very different.
I think it's probably more of an effect of us trying to describe something that's not put easily into words. (not ragging on you or anything)

And unfortunately, I don't know if being more specific will help us here. Or will it?

MrME

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned improv as a possiblity. It does require you to think and be imaginative on the fly, so that might work. Hard to say, though.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Somebody earlier in the thread mentioned improv as a possiblity. It does require you to think and be imaginative on the fly, so that might work. Hard to say, though.

Isn't that more spontaneity (P) as opposed to creativity (N)?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Isn't that more spontaneity (P) as opposed to creativity (N)?

That's part of it, but the biggest thing is being able to take whatever your partner is giving you and expanding on it. Your partner hands you a slice of cake, and you comment on how delicious and chocalately it is. Or if your outside and your partner says that it suddenly starts pouring, you might say that you have an umbrella in your backpack for this very reason. You then bring out your umbrella, and your partner mocks you because it's pink and polkadotted.

Just saying whatever random thing you come up with doesn't work though. You can't just contradict your partner. Your partner says it freezing in here, and then you say "nu-uh! it's 100 degrees". You can't just randomly change stuff with no context, like suddenly being on the moon. And if your things are too out there, then it appears random and as if it has no direction to your audience (which is true anyway, but preferably you have the appearance of coherency), such as if the president randomly joins your conversation, then spontaneously combusts.

imo

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Found this somewhat related article:

How to Experience Different Function-Attitudes

Heres what it says about Ni:

To experience Introverted Intuition:
• As you come across any sign (e.g. an advertisement, a sentence, a logo, a choice of color for a restaurant's decor, even a non-man-made sign like a cloud), say to yourself, "So I'm supposed to think ______ but really this is just ______" and fill in the blanks. This creates conscious awareness of the assumed interpretations of things, and distances you from them. For example, if you see a restaurant sign with very ornate, curly characters in thin white strokes on a black background, say, "So I'm supposed to think this is a posh place for high-class people, but what I really see is just a slab of plastic with black paint on it, minus some curlicues where the white shows through." If you see a sign on a door inside the restaurant, that says "MEN", say, "So I'm supposed to think there's a bathroom behind that door, and it's only socially appropriate for men to use it, but really it's just a piece of wood with some marks on it." You must name the thing you're supposed to think in words, and describe the object in words; no mere pointing or saying "like that" is allowed. A feeling of smugness may set in at first. Keep going, until it becomes a feeling of freedom.

And Ne:

To experience Extraverted Intuition:
• "The Caption Game." Get a pile of drawings, but not intentionally funny cartoons. A large deck of Tarot cards is ideal. Put the pile face down and turn up one drawing. Think of a caption for the drawing by imagining something outside the picture, which changes the meaning of what's inside. Say the caption aloud, and move on to the next drawing. For example, if it's really a picture of a Scotty dog sniffing at a suitcase, your caption might be "Sorry, ma'am, I'll have to open the suitcase before I can let you on the plane." See how many completely different captions for each cartoon you can come up with. Try to think of at least three. "Pack your bags, Laika, you're going to test new satellite!" (in Russian accent). "Toto, we're going back to Kansas!" Some of your captions might be funny, but don't try to be funny. Non-funny captions are just fine.
• "The Drawing Game." For this, you need at least two people. One person draws something small on a large piece of paper--something quick, which you can draw in a few seconds. The next person draws something in the remaining space, which somehow relates to it, so both objects make sense as a picture. You can add lines to what's already there, but you can never erase a line once it's drawn. Back and forth you go, filling in more and more of the picture, letting it develop into something that neither of you envisioned when you started. At some point, you give the picture an appropriate title, and you're done. If you can't draw well, it's OK to say out loud what you intended your drawing to depict. For example, person A draws the face of a clock. Person B draws a grandfather clock shape around it. A draws an old-fashioned teller cage nearby. B draws a man with a bandanna over his face, holding a gun. It's a bank robbery!

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I've wondered how to develop N too.

N's please help us iNtuitards!

It depends on whether you want to develop Ni or Ne. I'm not sure which kind the following examples are, though.

Have you tried making lots of bad puns? If you keep at it, you'll eventually learn how to make good ones. Unfortunately, you'll probably irritate a lot of people before you get it right.

Another approach is, in a situation where you know what the expected response is... insert something that technically makes sense, but doesn't fit in the intended context. This is the one I usually use. I'm not sure if this is Ne or Ni, though.

Example 1: "What's up?" "The opposite of down."
Example 2: "What time is it?" "Time for you to get a watch."
Example 3: "Where are we now?" "In a car."

There's also the matter of coming up with new ways of doing things. Essentially, what this requires is a bit of thought. Try to focus on what is possible in the current situation, and avoid viewing it in terms of what's been done before. Just come up with a new way of doing something that you've done before, and do it in this new way, just for the heck of it (Though I would advise not doing this with anything important!). Even if it doesn't make any sense. Eventually, you'll get a better "feel" for what kind of ideas will work, even if you haven't tried them before.

Example 1: I'm out of knives, and I want to cut my peanut butter and jelly sandwich in half. Normally people wash off a knife and use it, but instead, I'm going to take a spoon, hold it by the scoop, and use the handle to cut the sandwich in half. Alternatively, I could carefully tear the sandwich into two parts with my hands.

Example 2: I want to read a book. I usually use the light of a lamp for this. I could also open a window and use sunlight if it were daytime. But instead, I'm going to turn on a flashlight and read the book using that. Alternatively, I could use the light of candles, a kerosene lamp, or night vision goggles.

Finally, there's learning to look at things from more than one perspective.

Example 1: From a power user's perspective, use of complex jargon and offering a myriad of options to configure is a good thing because it offers more functionality. From a normal user's perspective, this a bad thing because it results in more time and difficulty in figuring out how to do the task at hand. Neither perspective is wrong, they simply represent different priorities and goals.

Example 2: A smiley :))) could mean that someone is pleased. It could also mean that the person meant to enter a frown emoticon, but hit the wrong key. It could be used to mislead you, make you think they're pleased when they're really not. It could even be used sarcastically, indicating a happy mood in a situation where that is very unlikely.

Well, I hope that helps.

something boring

MBTI Type
nnja
Enneagram
4w5
Think things through in your mind than tell people one or two random things about your idea and sit back while they look at you like you have two heads and you’ll be on your way :)

Also, stop noticing things, even if they are right in front of you, just look straight through them as if they're not there.

QFT! :happy0065: