First 2345 Last

Thread: developing N

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Here's an example (and it is N because it is not logical). Your friend's mom recently bought a motorcycle, so it's on your mind. You start noticing all the people that drive motorcycles as a result, which leads you to believe that there is some connection between the appearance of your friend's mom's motorcycle and the increase in motorcyclers that you are witnessing. You then theorize that maybe it's the season that's inspiring people to buy motorcycles, or that there's a motorcycle sale nearby, or that maybe motorcycles are in fashion this year. You don't come to any conclusion, but that's not the point...the point is that you are enamored of the connection that you perceived between the mom's motorcycle and the increase in the number of people riding motorcycles, and you take pleasure in the the speculation that this generates.

The N is the trigger that gives your mind a hunch to follow. It's why you would notice more motorcycles in the first place, because you had a hunch that it was possible that the mom's motorcycle purchase signified a generalizable trend in casual motorcycle buying. Of course it's never that explicit in your head, but it is what gives you the motivation to notice and follow patterns. This can, of course, lead to magical thinking.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    Imagination. Creativity. Abnormality. Uniqueness.
    At least with these last two, I disagree. It's easy to be different and act different, to make different choices, but that change can still be very empty and hollow. Shoot, you can give your car a whole new paintjob, but it's still the same car.

Also, I think when I "just let loose," I have a temptation to act more impulsively...feels more like Se than any kind of N.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Mm...
    For me it'd be to entertain all possabilities rather than focusing on a specific one that I deem is appropriate or correct. SJs can engage in their Ne behaviour when they're all stressed out thinking of worst case scenarios, just a matter of of shifting that onto other aspects of life.

Granted... sometimes it feels abit inane to think about any random possabilities happening, got to resist that temptation to just want to find out what's actually happening (For example when reading a fictional storybook.) That'd be the Ne.

I might have the wrong idea of Ni, but this comes much more easier to me than Ne does since it serves a purpose somewhat. Suddenly I'm a little uncertain about what Ni is exactly, it reminds me of Si but without the middle section. In which case it'd be near impossible for us to engage in since we deal with Si naturally.

Possability: Attaching meaning to everything and guessing what that'd lead to? Of course that sounds way too much like Si. Predicting without seemingly incomplete data?

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Thanks. Developing imagination seems to be a theme here, so I'll work on that first. This may be easier than I thought it would be as I already do those sort of imagination exercise fairly often.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w9

Might I suggest free-writing? It's not only a good way to develop your imagination, but you'd be surprised what ideas you can get. Those, in turn, develop a complicated web of thought that illustrates your progress

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Maabus1999 View Post
    This has nothing to do with Intuitive vs. Sensor. I don't know if everyone understands the difference between the two here...
    I don't think YOU understand the difference between the two if you think creativity and imagination is an "N" thing.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Glycerine

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Here's an example (and it is N because it is not logical). Your friend's mom recently bought a motorcycle, so it's on your mind. You start noticing all the people that drive motorcycles as a result, which leads you to believe that there is some connection between the appearance of your friend's mom's motorcycle and the increase in motorcyclers that you are witnessing. You then theorize that maybe it's the season that's inspiring people to buy motorcycles, or that there's a motorcycle sale nearby, or that maybe motorcycles are in fashion this year. You don't come to any conclusion, but that's not the point...the point is that you are enamored of the connection that you perceived between the mom's motorcycle and the increase in the number of people riding motorcycles, and you take pleasure in the the speculation that this generates.

The N is the trigger that gives your mind a hunch to follow. It's why you would notice more motorcycles in the first place, because you had a hunch that it was possible that the mom's motorcycle purchase signified a generalizable trend in casual motorcycle buying. Of course it's never that explicit in your head, but it is what gives you the motivation to notice and follow patterns. This can, of course, lead to magical thinking.
    What she said. Also, one thing you can try is to make a connection between two seemingly random things. For example, the color black and malaria. One take could be that they both have a connection w/ death. One of my teachers even compared pizza with romantic love. So it can be as out there as you want.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Start by noticing recurring phrases, write them down and start to make fun out of them. The next time you make a recurring phrase and you are aware of it in the beginning try to say something different, to describe the same thing.

And after that grow further
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Wow. Good answers.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    At least with these last two, I disagree. It's easy to be different and act different, to make different choices, but that change can still be very empty and hollow. Shoot, you can give your car a whole new paintjob, but it's still the same car.

Also, I think when I "just let loose," I have a temptation to act more impulsively...feels more like Se than any kind of N.
    I'm talking about your mind and thinking processes, not physical realities. The whole "thinking outside the box" fits those two words.

However, this is an excellent example of the difference between S and N just on what you perceived I was saying in your mind, when in fact what I am trying to get across is very different.