• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would I be J or P or neither?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I sense ISTJ

You aren't a P just cause you have a good time when you aren't working....

I have a good time when I'm not working. My mind just wanders all over the place while I'm having a good time. I'll be doing something really exciting and be processing like....a website I read or a movie I just watched.

I'm a scatterbrain regardless, during work and play. But during work, I try and have a systematic approach in order to finish my work since I don't like to do it.

I is I. I can't be P or J.

Well obviously. I meant it to ask about me - myself.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Try using temperament theory and finding out your core needs.

Which would you be really, really stressed without:
- freedom to do what you want and make an impact, or
- a sense of belonging to a larger group and responsibility?

The first one is the SP core need, and the second is an SJ core need.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Try using temperament theory and finding out your core needs.

Which would you be really, really stressed without:
- freedom to do what you want and make an impact, or
- a sense of belonging to a larger group and responsibility?

The first one is the SP core need, and the second is an SJ core need.

Frankly, I don't care about belonging to a larger group or holding any responsibility. But at the same time, I don't worry that much about impact, but I would like freedom to do what I want.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
You're SP, congratulations. :)

If you don't care for responsibility, you surely are not SJ. (SJs may argue against this if they so wish.. I'm just working from the theory.)

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

If you don't care for responsibility, you surely are not SJ. (SJs may argue against this if they so wish.. I'm just working from the theory.)

I was talking to my parents earlier, and I realized how much they were telling me to work hard and stuff, but I was much more laid back. Without their J influence, I would have been much more P. Thanks by the way.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7
Heh, thank your parents as well for balancing you out!

Though they might look at you funny. :)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Being an SJ isn't so much about needing to fit in. It's markedly less true for us introverted SJs, but some of us still kind of agree to that. People often say SJs have a need for stability and security. For introverts, this refers mostly to steadiness in one's own life.

It's going to be difficult to get anyone to identify with descriptions of SJs because so much of our culture teaches us to rebel against all those things SJs represent. Hate to say it...but my point is that complicates determining an SJ's type.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
SJs are traditionalists. They preserve what's always been there. However, it's going to be different for every SJ. Each one will have their own traditions and past to preserve. I definitely identify with SJ, but what I apply it to is certainly different than other SJs. We apply the same thing to different circumstances.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Most important to remember is that it isn't always mainstream tradition that SJs are trying to maintain. As Raz says, it's a different system of traditions that have meaning to different SJs. (basically agreeing with him to emphasize the point)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Being an SJ isn't so much about needing to fit in. It's markedly less true for us introverted SJs, but some of us still kind of agree to that. People often say SJs have a need for stability and security. For introverts, this refers mostly to steadiness in one's own life.
Great point, considering the SJ is said to be the Melancholic, who is traditionally the loner while the opposite Sanguine is the one who is more people-oriented. It's easy to get thrown off there. PUM 1 had claimed "the melancholic hold themselves in higher regard when they achieve position and belong to social units", and Team Technology had said "...for whom a basic driving force is duty, service and the need to belong." But that need to belong or "social unit" is in the context of the structures in which they perform their duty and service (including in positions of leadership).

MBTI Type
ENTP
I sense ISTJ

You aren't a P just cause you have a good time when you aren't working....

yeah, although I think you are a P if you have to have a good time when you are working...and it doesn't sound like he does.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Haha I'll never be able to get that last letter. Continue posting though everyone, and thanks. It helps.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This may help, I got these results just now for the Cognitive test:

mujuqx.jpg

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You're even confusing the machine! Basically ST.

sciski

MBTI Type
NSFW
Enneagram
6w7

It's going to be difficult to get anyone to identify with descriptions of SJs because so much of our culture teaches us to rebel against all those things SJs represent. Hate to say it...but my point is that complicates determining an SJ's type.

Okay, nice to get some SJ input!

I agree with you Cimarron. My understanding is that it's not so much about belonging in the sense that you're best buddies with everyone there. It may even not be a 'traditional' group, but the need to identify is nevertheless there. I remember an enlightening post that talked about goth culture and how that was actually frequented by a lot of SJs who found comfort in identifying themselves in that way... goth culture has its own 'tradition', and there is security is maintaining that. But no way is that considered 'traditional'. I guess I didn't make that bit clear.

SP = freedom, then stability; SJ = stability, then freedom

In other words, give an SP their core need for freedom, and they are then free to act very stable. Give an SJ their core need for stability and they are secure enough to go wild.

Does that make sense at all or am I just talking up my own butt? I do that sometimes. :D

At any rate, my info about temperament theory comes from here:
The Artisan Temperament
The Guardian Temperament

NewEra

MBTI Type
I

I agree with you Cimarron. My understanding is that it's not so much about belonging in the sense that you're best buddies with everyone there. It may even not be a 'traditional' group, but the need to identify is nevertheless there. I remember an enlightening post that talked about goth culture and how that was actually frequented by a lot of SJs who found comfort in identifying themselves in that way... goth culture has its own 'tradition', and there is security is maintaining that. But no way is that considered 'traditional'. I guess I didn't make that bit clear.

In other words, give an SP their core need for freedom, and they are then free to act very stable. Give an SJ their core need for stability and they are secure enough to go wild.

Does that make sense at all or am I just talking up my own butt? I do that sometimes. :D

The Artisan Temperament
The Guardian Temperament

If that's the case, it's still super close. I value both freedom and stability. What do u think of the cognitive test I took?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz

The Artisan Temperament
The Guardian Temperament

Interesting way of putting it. SPs and SJs both want freedom, they just obtain it in different ways. An SP feels free having options available to them. I feel free having everything under control. Once I know everything is under control, *then* I'll do something crazy. I want the feeling of security first, or else I'll go crazy from the fear of letting loose.