• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Would I be J or P or neither?

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
All the stuff in the OP sounds like me, and I'm a Jayster all the way.

And I definitely relate to the spending hours wasting time part.

TheJimbo

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
I get the feeling you're a J. I'd elaborate, but I'm tired as hell.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That means yr ISTJ.

It's very typical for ISTJs, moreso than any other type I've seen, to have a hard time "accepting" ISTJ because they identify with several types.

There is no such thing as "neither one".
You must prefer one over the other or you couldn't function.

Do you have a NEED to be cool or unique?

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
thechosenone: Do you tend to read the directions for things or just jump in and figure it out yourself with little/no regard for standard procedure?

It depends. If I'm driving to somewhere I don't know, then yes I get directions before I leave. If I'm assembling something together, then no I don't use directions. I always like to figure it out how to assemble it first, and then if I can't, I would use the directions.

There is no such thing as "neither one".
You must prefer one over the other or you couldn't function.

Do you have a NEED to be cool or unique?

For the most part, no. But then again when a lot of people are doing the same thing, I generally dislike that thing or do something different. But in general, no.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Since you are that undecided about it, your P has got to be stronger.

O and, just take the functions' test. That would make it a lot easier.
Unless you enjoy more being questioned here -> P

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It depends. If I'm driving to somewhere I don't know, then yes I get directions before I leave. If I'm assembling something together, then no I don't use directions. I always like to figure it out how to assemble it first, and then if I can't, I would use the directions.

For the most part, no. But then again when a lot of people are doing the same thing, I generally dislike that thing or do something different. But in general, no.

ISTPs generally have a NEED to be cool and/or unique in some way.

Jack Flak was right. You are mostly ISTJ.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
But then again when a lot of people are doing the same thing, I generally dislike that thing or do something different. But in general, no.

ISTPs generally have a NEED to be cool and/or unique in some way.

Jack Flak was right. You are mostly ISTJ.

:laugh:

You might want to read that again, Mom. He says "No" but then says "yes" in all of the details of his post.

Virtually everything he's posted in this topic sounds SP. Some people act like SPs can't function at work or something. Like we can only get jobs as professional stuntmen or drug dealers or something. I'll have you know I have an office job and right now am hard at work....posting on an internet forum.

Crap.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This isn't directly a J vs. P thing, but for ISTJ vs. ISTP by using the 8-function system. I'm not sure how much stock to put into this, but it's an interesting piece to read. Think of your childhood behavior, mid- to late-elementary school. Here are descriptions:
Portrait of an ISJ Child
Portrait of an ITP Child

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
This isn't directly a J vs. P thing, but for ISTJ vs. ISTP by using the 8-function system. I'm not sure how much stock to put into this, but it's an interesting piece to read. Think of your childhood behavior, mid- to late-elementary school. Here are descriptions:
Portrait of an ISJ Child
Portrait of an ITP Child

If I look at those, I was more of an ITP Child. Actually the ones that most fit me (as a kid) would be ETJ and ESP together, then ITP, then ISJ. As a kid, I was loud and always got into trouble, but that was when I was a kid.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Did you read the detailed descriptions, instead of just the numbered lists? The descriptions cover things that the lists do not.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Did you read the detailed descriptions, instead of just the numbered lists? The descriptions cover things that the lists do not.

Yeah, the ITP description, especially the "Learning Style" category fit my childhood experience quite well.

deleted
Let's just say you're an ISTJ because there aren't that many around here and I like to know that my sensing type is down with the net.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
:laugh:

You might want to read that again, Mom. He says "No" but then says "yes" in all of the details of his post.

Virtually everything he's posted in this topic sounds SP. Some people act like SPs can't function at work or something. Like we can only get jobs as professional stuntmen or drug dealers or something. I'll have you know I have an office job and right now am hard at work....posting on an internet forum.

Crap.
Jack Flak is hardly ever wrong...
I mean I assume he is wrong sometimes,
but I am unaware of it happening.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, the ITP description, especially the "Learning Style" category fit my childhood experience quite well.
I just finished reading that, and I don't think that section was specific enough to make a determination on type.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
I had this same problem when I first started figuring out my type. I thought I was INTJ at first, then INTP, then ISTP, and I finally landed on ISTJ. I had a hard time believing my J because I'm not a neat freak or anything. I rarely clean unless things start getting out of hand. The J is all about how you handle your external life, anyway. Like, for instance, one way you can tell a J or P is how someone dresses. A P is going to care about their clothing, but won't care much about having a pulled together coordinated look. A J will want everything in place in their outfit, everything to match, and will have an organized look to them.

How you handle the outside world and how you handle yourself are two different cognitive processes. With an ISTP, you approach the outside world with Extraverted Sensing, meaning you're looking to adapt yourself to the external world. You then use Introverted Thinking to maintain yourself, so you use an internal set of logical rules and take things apart in your head.

An ISTJ uses Extraverted Thinking for the outside world, meaning they deal with it impersonally and objectively. They want it to be structured and task oriented. ISTJs use Introverted Sensing for dealing with themselves, meaning they focus on having a vast memory of facts and details, without even realizing it. Introverted Sensing is about having your own set of personal experiences and expectations, also. People who use Introverted Sensing, instead of adapting themselves to the outside world like Extraverted Sensing, adapt the outside world to their own set of rules.

The cognitive processes aren't THAT reliable, though, in terms of how rigid they are in usage. The truth in their definitions is reliable. People use all 8 of them, just some more effectively than the others.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
All this stuff is definitely helping me. If I were to rate my cognitive functions, I would say it's like this...

Ti - Very High
Fi - High
Te - High
Ne - Medium
Si - Medium
Se - Low
Fe - Very Low
Ni - Very Low

MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you more like Joe Friday or Dirty Harry?
patnovak.jpg

dirtyharry.jpg

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
From what I see you really have parts of both, J and P. But the P wins with 1 or 2 points more. From what you have described it is like 60:40 for P.
But I think you are right with your statement (J when working, P when not).

deleted
All this stuff is definitely helping me. If I were to rate my cognitive functions, I would say it's like this...

Ti - Very High
Fi - High
Te - High
Ne - Medium
Si - Medium
Se - Low
Fe - Very Low
Ni - Very Low

I equated your functions and your results came out as a clear ISTP.

I'd say (by my own scale, 100% being rare):

I 40%
S 10%
T 40%
P 40%

If you are quite sure about this function ranking, then you are most definitely an ISTP.