• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP or INTP?

PurpleDusk

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've tested as both but I've noticed that in general, I act like more of an F than a T. For example, I'm as far from 'cool' as a person can be. My moods are up and down and I don't really seem laid back like the typical picture of an INTP. However, I'm naturally quite analytical person and seem to have more of the 'typical T interests' apart from math, which I hate with a passion.

I've read that it's harder to get a T to laugh (if this is true or not, I don't really know) but me, I seem to laugh at anything and everything. I do have quite extreme emotional reactions and 'lose my cool' quite a lot, which makes me think I'm more of an F but at the same time, I can just as easily get absorbed into some kind of intellectually stimulating task and hours can pass by before I realise I've missed dinner and it's the next morning!

I guess what I'm saying is...HELP! I can't decide which type I am. Any opinions? That would be great!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
T or F is essentially how you make decisions and judgments. Do you do something when you feel it is the right thing to do, make sense to you, aligns with some personal conviction or value that you feel is unsakable; or is a decision made when after examining some possibilities or points of view, you arrive to a conclusion based on data that is not necessarily your own, but you see that it makes sense.

Also, since both types see the connections between things well, how do you interpret and analyze what you see? When accumulating new information, are you asking yourself how it fits into your worldview, whether it is valuable to you or not; or are you asking yourself whether this new information is important, is it relevant, can it be worth something, is it interesting.

Also, take in to account personal weaknesses. Are you bothered by detail, rules, external regulations; or are you bothered more by displays of personal or others' emotions. How do you feel when others ask you for emotional support, or follow through on a task with many steps and criteria needing to be met.

PurpleDusk

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
T or F is essentially how you make decisions and judgments. Do you do something when you feel it is the right thing to do, make sense to you, aligns with some personal conviction or value that you feel is unsakable; or is a decision made when after examining some possibilities or points of view, you arrive to a conclusion based on data that is not necessarily your own, but you see that it makes sense.

I usually make decisions based on what I feel is the right thing to do and it definitely has to fit in with my personal values, otherwise I just wont do it because I'm not going to do something that I don't agree with, regardless of how much it 'makes sense'. However, before I make the decision I usually go on a big 'information hunting binge' and research as much as I can. Although when deciding which option would be best one of main things I look for is whether or not I will enjoy it. I guess I could say I'm an F based on that.

Also, since both types see the connections between things well, how do you interpret and analyze what you see? When accumulating new information, are you asking yourself how it fits into your worldview, whether it is valuable to you or not; or are you asking yourself whether this new information is important, is it relevant, can it be worth something, is it interesting.

I definitely ask myself whether or not something is interesting. If it's not interesting I'll never be motivated to look into it further. I do ask myself whether or not it's important and if it will help me achieve whatever I'm wanting to achieve but that's generally only after deciding that it's interesting. Another thing I ask myself all the time is..."Is this something I agree with?".

Also, take in to account personal weaknesses. Are you bothered by detail, rules, external regulations; or are you bothered more by displays of personal or others' emotions. How do you feel when others ask you for emotional support, or follow through on a task with many steps and criteria needing to be met.

What do you mean when you ask, "am I bothered by details?". If that means do I pay attention to them, then yes I do. Rules? I do pay attention to rules but I'm not going to stick to one if it seems completely stupid and/or unfair. No one has really ever asked me for emotional support so I don't know how I feel about it. However, I am slightly uncomfortable when people become upset around me because I don't know what to do. I display my own emotions though quite easily, espescially anger (something I shouldn't be so free to tell the world, Lol).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
So far you seem to lead a bit with your F, but you seem very balanced.

PurpleDusk

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Most of the time I've scored 20 or less on either T or F so yeah, I am quite balanced I suppose. Some days I think more like a T and others more like an F. To be honest, it often depends on what mood I'm in.

Nihilen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
I guess what I'm saying is...HELP! I can't decide which type I am. Any opinions? That would be great!

Ok, let's see...

I've tested as both but I've noticed that in general, I act like more of an F than a T. For example, I'm as far from 'cool' as a person can be. My moods are up and down and I don't really seem laid back like the typical picture of an INTP. However, I'm naturally quite analytical person and seem to have more of the 'typical T interests' apart from math, which I hate with a passion.

I've read that it's harder to get a T to laugh (if this is true or not, I don't really know) but me, I seem to laugh at anything and everything. I do have quite extreme emotional reactions and 'lose my cool' quite a lot, which makes me think I'm more of an F but at the same time, I can just as easily get absorbed into some kind of intellectually stimulating task and hours can pass by before I realise I've missed dinner and it's the next morning!

You said it: INFP. Why are you even questioning it when you know your type.

Damn, INFPs are weird.

PurpleDusk

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Why are you even questioning it when you know your type.

Damn, INFPs are weird.

I was pointing out the things that made me think I was an F, I didn't say I knew. If I knew I wouldn't have asked.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
I usually make decisions based on what I feel is the right thing to do and it definitely has to fit in with my personal values, otherwise I just wont do it because I'm not going to do something that I don't agree with, regardless of how much it 'makes sense'. However, before I make the decision I usually go on a big 'information hunting binge' and research as much as I can. Although when deciding which option would be best one of main things I look for is whether or not I will enjoy it. I guess I could say I'm an F based on that.
This part is crucial, it makes me feel you are an INFP. Logic seems to be highly regarded as a personal value, on the basis of Fi, rather than just for its sake, as an INTP would, though one my oldest friends thinks I'm INT which is strange. Do you just partly use Ti for its own sake? I do that quite often. As JocktheMotie says you are quite balanced either way.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This part is crucial, it makes me feel you are an INFP. Logic seems to be highly regarded as a personal value, on the basis of Fi, rather than just for its sake, as an INTP would, though one my oldest friends thinks I'm INT which is strange. Do you just partly use Ti for its own sake? I do that quite often. As JocktheMotie says you are quite balanced either way.
Yes, this is crucial; for understanding the concepts altogether. Can Fi value logic? Valuing logic seems to be the definition of T. If T values logic for "its own sake", what would F value logic for? This is where the definitions of Ti and Fi seem to get fuzzy; and the proper meaning of terms like "valuing" become ambiguous. Values seem to be associated with ethics in some descriptions, though in others, it seems to be anything that is "desired".
(Though I would say INFP just on his first sentence, above).