• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INFP, ENFP, INTP?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
because...i kinda think you can still be an enfp and have a lil social insecurity...because i do think we are so sensitive to others perception of us and our intuition isn't always right...it says negatively expressed it can read like paranoia or social anxiety...so...maybe it's just that....i don't mean that in a bad way...i just mean...intuition can still be your dominant function but you're reading people wrong so you retreat but if the read was positive you wouldn't...maybe??

and i was a lot more shy when i was younger but eventually grew out of it.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
erin, if you don't mind my asking, how old are you?

i guess the other thing to consider is that my childhood was notably psychologically abusive, so i figure that'll play into almost everything.

and, if I was reading positive I wouldn't retreat, you're right. I have a pretty dominant and intense personality when I let it out, really intense, moreso than most people.

(lol, so we've got one pretty sure i'm infp, the other pretty sure i'm enfp...)

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I get nervous in social situations... although I didn't used to.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'm 32 and was shy up until middle school probably but still very much fit the child enfp description besides that part.

and i've been lucky to have a pretty cool upbringing...so was made to feel secure there...but some people can make me feel less so.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
both of the child descriptions fit me almost perfectly, except for these lines:

quiet and gentle
enjoy reading (I LOVED stories but I wasn't into reading until almost middle school)

they're very independent and want to do things for themselves
they probably tend to be dramatic, and enjoy acting or performing

neither a nor b fit me. I am usually fine if 3 strangers join as long as they don't treat me like the third wheel. if, though, they know the other people better than yeah, it fits.

and B...no

Not sure if you did this or not but you aren't supposed to think of how they fit you now. Children show a definite preference for a specific function over the other so think of which one identifies with how you were when you were younger.

You might not be able to do that from an unbiased view... maybe get someone who knew you when you were younger to take a look at them?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'll be wishy washy and say I could see either.

TheJimbo

MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
3w4
Distinctive NFP traits + Ex-Cutter + Shitty self-image? Definitely an INFP.

I know an INFP who is very smart, but she's always cutting down on herself and talking about how much she sucks. And I'm like, "lol, you need to calm down and learn to love your failures."

Your writing style seems very INFP to me. INTP seems highly unlikely.

Something I've noticed is that INP's have very extroverted moments, especially in the company of their friends. The afformentioned INFP is very outgoing and crazy in front of her friends, but from her negativity, shyness around strangers and strong attachment to her values I know she is introverted. She also has a tendency to exaggerate events or aspects of herself in an obvious, nervous effort to make them appear more "extreme!" (and thus more interesting)

Just throwing out a few observations which you may or may not relate to.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
alright.....maybe you guys are right.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Something I've noticed is that INP's have very extroverted moments, especially in the company of their friends. The afformentioned INFP is very outgoing and crazy in front of her friends, but from her negativity, shyness around strangers and strong attachment to her values I know she is introverted. She also has a tendency to exaggerate events or aspects of herself in an obvious, nervous effort to make them appear more "extreme!" (and thus more interesting)
That's an important thing to consider, because INP is both introverted and "role informative", which is also known as "responsive" or "people-(rather than "task") focused". That means you basically express yourself as an introvert, but respond to others (you trust) as an extrovert. The other half of the Behind the Scenes group: ISF, will most likely be the same way. ENP/ESF is different by both expressing and responding as an extrovert.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
well, that's really a minute difference isn't it?
When I said that both the child-descriptions fit me I mean they fit me when I was a kid. I wonder, though, if my mother would say that the ENP fit me more.....Dunno, will have to ask. Lol, sorry for confusing you Erin.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
*sigh* lol.
my mother said that all three (inp, inj, enp) fit me pretty well as a child (though apparently she said inj didn't fit me until I hit adolescence) but that the inp one fit me the best.

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
Add another for INFP, for basically every reason 'ScatterShot' and 'TheJimbo' said (you guys took the words right outta my mouth!)

Either that, or an unhealthy ENFP.
(And that is NOT me implying that INFP's are the unhealthy versions of ENFP's! But I find when my head's in a bad place, I've suddenly become INFP. It's just not ENFP's natural state to live in the darker place as much as INFP's)

I think the 'I used to go hide in the closet for hours as a kid' was the biggest tip. Whilst as I child I would enjoy my downtime - playing solitary, making up characters, living inside my imagination - if given the option, it was so seldom the choice would be to be alone. I wanted to include others in my games!
I'm fairly certain any ENP child would.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i did!! i wasn't hiding but my mom said i played in the closet with my barbies for hours when i was little.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think it could go either way, but the most compelling reason to suspect you are INFP is the cutting.

I don't see ENFPs being cutters.

Please correct me if I'm wrong if anyone knows an ENFP who is/has been a cutter.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's the main thing too i think...can't see it myself and i think it get's tricky to type you if there's some psychological issues going on..like you said you had adhd right? so...an infp with adhd could kinda be scattered like an enfp?? maybe...hmmm

scattershot

MBTI Type
ENFP
I actually do know one ENFP who was a cutter for a little while, but she's got a lot of other issues, so I don't think type comes into play in her case.

And yeah, I definitely think ADHD would make an INFP look more like an ENFP. FWIW, both of the INFPs I know have it too - one is inattentive ADD only, but I'm pretty sure the other one is ADHD.

FantailedWall

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
4w5
i did!! i wasn't hiding but my mom said i played in the closet with my barbies for hours when i was little.

...But would you find yourself actively leaving the company of others (particularly friends) in order to do so?

That was my point. Not the cupboard-thing itself.