• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can An ENTP Be Like This?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Believe it or not!
My tendency to change types has some reason to it.

For some reason, I feel that I'm more of an F in college and more of a T at home and more extraverted at home than college.

I realize why too.
I feel that I can be myself at home and not have to worry about losing my friends.
In college, I do fear losing the friends I have made. This causes me to be more timid and cautious-being more tactful but more calculating.
I don't even think it's an Introversion thing. I just really don't want to be alone in college and do not want to do cause any rifts between the friendships I have made.
With my high school friends, I can be more of an 'ass' and more outspoken and I feel confident that I won't lose them as friends- it helps that they are outspoken and arrogant for the most part too... :devil:

Is this normal for NT's?
It's weird. I feel more like an ENTP now but in a week when I go back to college- I'll feel more like an INFP.
It sucks and almost makes me not want to go back to college. I know what I am but I don't feel confident that I'll keep many of the friends I have in college if I act like myself- especially since many of the friendships have begun with my 'false image'.
So, what does that mean?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
for what it's worth, i never once felt like that.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
What makes this more NF than NT?
Is it that NT's care less about 'losing friends' and are more comfortable with being a 'loner'?

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
What makes this more NF than NT?
Is it that NT's care less about 'losing friends' and are more comfortable with being a 'loner'?
Partially. In your post your concern about hurting the friends you made came through as much as losing them, that is F more than T.

But my assessment of you as NF was also driven by the way you say you've changed. Your dominant function seems to be Ne, and you've been assuming that your auxiliary one was T, but people actually develop that second one in their teens through their early 20's and it sounds like that's what has been happening to you. You are developing F. Often young men seem to default to T and develop F (if that's their natural tendency) and women do this the other way around due the way society defines gender roles. Just my two cents.

It is entirely possible that you are just wearing a mask to be accepted, my assumption was that the mask was from your teens and the 'real' you is showing up in college, but it could be the other way around.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
as an entp i never really cared much about hurting people. Truth before feelings, that's the way.

Was your T strong in test? Did you really answer truthfully, if you really care so much about what others think and do you could have a biased image of your own personnality during tests. Just an idea.

Anyway, it's not like it's wrong not to be an entp.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think I may just be one of those 'NT wannabes'...
However, there are so many stereotypes out there.
This sounds arrogant but I feel confident that I possess better reasoning skills than most of the NT's I know, which many (such as Keirsey) claim is the hallmark of the NT, so I'm confused.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I think I may just be one of those 'NT wannabes'...
However, there are so many stereotypes out there.
This sounds arrogant but I feel confident that I possess better reasoning skills than most of the NT's I know, which many (such as Keirsey) claim is the hallmark of the NT, so I'm confused.

Your OP made me think that you must be ENFP.
Don't bother too much of stereotypes and be happy with yourself no matter what your type is. :)

redacted

You could easily be ENTP (I think you are).

The only way to tell would be to differentiate between Ti/Fe and Fi/Te. If you use Ti and Fe, it doesn't even matter if you use Fe more than Ti, you are still ENTP.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Yet again, it's tough to say whether I am a Thinker or Feeler.
The cognitive processes test is no longer online- see for yourself.

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes
It now costs a lot of money...

However, I've been thinking about some interaction I had with my friends last night, which sort of adds more conflict to the T/F thing.

I was playing video games with three of my friends and talking about politics with them. They are all 'textbook liberals' (one INTJ, two ISTJ's) while I'm more of a moderate.

I made a comment about how President-Elect Barack Obama is going to have a lot of trouble keeping most of his campaign promises given the state of the economy and that he knows this BUT had to make all of those promises to ensure winning the election.
One of them then said, "Says the one with Republican parents."
(I'm pretty sure this wasn't sarcastic either- I can tell when he's sarcastic and that wasn't one of those moments.)

Something about that comment really annoyed me, I noticed that as the discussion went on, I became much more critical of him than the other two- even though they were all basically saying the same things. I sort of interpreted the comment as him saying that I only believe in what I believe because that's the stuff my parents believe in. I wasn't being fair in our discussion. I was the toughest on him because of his comment.

I know he didn't make it to 'hurt my feelings', so it would have been silly to bring up how it annoyed me.

(At that point, I decided to take on a much more conservative viewpoint to deliberately conflict with my friends.)

I don't know if this is exclusively Feeler behavior or can this have a Thinking bent to it?

redacted

Again, you need to distinguish between Fe/Ti and Fi/Te. It doesn't matter what order they are in if you are an ENP. Fe/Ti is still ENTP.

And forget that test, it doesn't help much anyway.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Again, you need to distinguish between Fe/Ti and Fi/Te. It doesn't matter what order they are in if you are an ENP. Fe/Ti is still ENTP.

And forget that test, it doesn't help much anyway.

That will be something I need to do research on.
Thanks Evan!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I know when I was at Uni I was more J typed than I really am. I think people are prone to morphing a bit to their environment. I also J type when I'm in heavey learning situations - it's a disciplined thing - just don't expect me to plan stuff to do on holiday - I'l scratch your eyes clean out.

As for the T/F I can't say I've ever experienced this, I accept that I'm a T type can't switch that bit off.

L

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I have a question which could seal what type I am.
Can XXFP's get along really well with XXTJ's who have zilch Fi?
I have more T friends than F friends but I think that's partially because I always found it easier to get along with other guys than girls.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IxTJ's wouldn't have "zilch" Fi; it would be tertiary or "relief", and also possibly "inflate" itself, so these types would likely display a lot of it. For ExTJ's, it would be inferior, and still likely not "zilch"; but would depend on how far along the person is in his cognitive development.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm only 19, so I think it's difficult to say that my tertiary function has really made much of a show yet.
When I take these tests- Fe & Si are usually my weakest functions.
I think an XNTP would test as the weakest for these two- since Fe often conflicts with Ti and Si conflicts with Ne.
However, I think I have a strong Fe but it rarely comes with happiness.

Here's what I would consider to be my ranking in terms of cognitive functions.
Ne/Ti/Fi/Ni/Se/Te/Fe/Si.. I guess it could be changed to

Ne/Ti/Fe/Si/Fi/Ni/Se/Te.. dunno.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In actual practice (as recorded in in the CP test), it seems that NTP's Si and Fe almost always come out at the bottom, when they're supposed to be 3rd and 4th. But tertiary as inflated would be the archetypal role it played, which is also known as "the eternal child". The negative side of the relief is called "unsettling", so perhaps that's what you're experiencing.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I was told to take the test like you were as a kid before you adjusted and changed for school/people. In college I acted more like an ESFP (and wanted to be more like one) but my actual mode of dealing with life is ENFP.

I also found some posts on another board before I took the time to look into it -and had a friend who actually knew what he was talking about help me find me- where I posted 2 different personalities.. in the same thread. (Of course that probably wont surprise any ENFP's out there )

Once I started looking at how I acted as a child I figured out how I adapted to the circumstances around me that changed my apparent personalities in those situations.