15 50.00%
  • INTJ

14 46.67%
  • IxTJ

1 3.33%
First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I just want to add that for the most part, I think it's difficult to judge a person's personality by what another person says about them because even the most fair person in the world sees others through their own set of parameters, so in reality, what I meant to say was, based on what was said in the thread about him, I think he's ISTJ.

The thing is that a person can be acting out in their shadow, like with the suggestion about making a baby. And as has been further discussed, there can be further emotional influences that make a person appear differently from the stereotypical group they might belong to.

Also, if you want to get a true picture of a person's foundational type, you should look at how they were when they were school-aged because we begin to develop our third function around age 25 at it can skew the results.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    For me it's the baseball and the job which sounds too mind numbing for an INTJ.
    The INTJ I know best is totally into sports. You may be betraying a bias here.

Also, the job sounds potentially analytical, which could probably satisfy an INTJ.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by beyondaurora View Post
    Nightly routine.
    Chores.
    Food.
    To me your decision to emphasize these things indicates the difference between you two on the S/N scale. If he was an INTJ you might touch on the Jness, but you'd emphasize the NTness....goals, theories etc.

ISTJ
    I don't wanna!

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    To me your decision to emphasize these things indicates the difference between you two on the S/N scale. If he was an INTJ you might touch on the Jness, but you'd emphasize the NTness....goals, theories etc.

ISTJ

Interesting observation!

beyondaurora

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Answer to your question. This man is an ISTJ.

Why?

He is either an INTJ or an ISTJ according to the premises of the problem you have provided.

1)The claim that he is an INTJ is manifestly untenable. I see no evidence of this man's natural tendency to be intensely focused on his imagination, or abstract ideas. I see no evidence of his ability to improvise, such an ability should doubtlessly be granted by one's ability to exercise imagination. Intuition or imagination is analogous to the INTJ as logical reasoning or Thinking to the INTP. Inevitably, an INTJ would show his strong tendency towards imagination in a relationship of a 9 year duration. It is impossible for the INTJ not to show such a tendency as the definition of an INTJ temperament presupposes for the strongest of all tendencies to be imagination or intuition. Since the claim that this man is an INTJ is untenable, the conditions of our problem presuppose that this man is an ISTJ.

2)He has however shown a very strong affinity with the Sensing facutly, which is doubtlessly his strongest tendency. Carefully working out his plans with regard to even the most frivolous activities. Such as playing a computer game. Introverted Sensation is in tune with the concrete environment. Both types, due to a lack of extroverted perception, tend to be planners as improvising is unnatural to them. However, the perceptions of the Introverted Sensor lead the person in question to interact with the physical environment. Hence, he is more likely to write down his plans carefully. His perceptions of the external environment are directly tied to the concrete, physical world. Such perceptions remain in the world of imagination for the Introverted Intuitive type. The Introverted Intuitive type lacks attunement with the sensing faculty, therefore the Introverted Intuitive type has trouble interacting with the physical environment. It is unlikely for the Introverted Intuitive type to have a distinct tendency to write as neatly as possible and to carefully organize his physical environment. Moreover, his tendency to operate in the same fashion without an ambition to experience new ways of operating is also manifest.

"Food. If we went out to a restaurant, he would get the same one or two things, always. If he had a bad experience at a restaurant, even if his prior experiences were pleasant, he would never want to eat there again. "

Even though an INTJ also tends to be a creature of habit due to a lack of Extroverted perception, the sheer affinity with imagination would exhort the INTJ in question to attempt to function in novel ways sooner or later.

3) The man in question appears to lack an ambition to brainstorm. This is anathema to a temperament with a dominant Intuitive function. The man in question is intensely focused on the present moment. "He'd always say, "we'll talk about that when the time comes". "
    Wow! Thank you, SolitaryWalker. I had the opportunity to fully read your reply, and your line of reasoning certainly makes sense to me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

There are a few things that remind me of my wife, father, and other ISTJs I know; but the lack of duty fulfillment doesn't point to SJ. Gaming esp., is looked on as a waste of time by SJs.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    There are a few things that remind me of my wife, father, and other ISTJs I know; but the lack of duty fulfillment doesn't point to SJ. Gaming esp., is looked on as a waste of time by SJs.
    Not necessarily. Gaming can be fun, and fun isn't always a waste of time.

And of course it's going to be difficult to type him because of unavoidable bias. You see a disagreement between you two, and it's tempting to say it's because of a function difference--though for many things that will be the true reason. (which others have already mentioned) But BlueWing's response mostly made sense, especially the last half.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 12-20-2008 at 02:07 PM. Reason: others mentioned
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Not necessarily. Gaming can be fun, and fun isn't always a waste of time.
    Fun is always a waste of time!

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    ISTJ

FWIW, he also sounds like a loser. WWII miniatures? Seriously?
    FWIW, that sounded like an asshole statement. If you were being serious.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    I

As far as routine goes, he sounds like an ISTJ but at the same time, his interest in computer gaming sounds more like an N trait.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No. Video games are not a waste of time. Computer games yes, but not video games.