User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Type this guy?

MBTI
    iNtJ

Default Type this guy?

So there's this guy I used to know, and I'd like some of your opinions on his type, because I can't figure it out.

A lot of the evidence points toward unhealthy INTP. He was extremely smart and somewhat arrogant about it, but never really got anywhere with it. He had a lot of radical political/social beliefs that he never acted upon. He couldn't or didn't want to keep a job. He owned hundreds of books which covered the walls of his apartment, in which he lived alone. I think he believed that most people were fairly stupid. He had a problem with drugs and alcohol.

But then.

He was way better at reading people, understanding them, and getting the reactions he wanted than any INTx I've heard of. In addition, he was very charismatic and people were drawn to him. He had one LTR that I know of, with an INFJ. It was full of issues but he never really got over it, even after she'd long since moved on. He was a respected Sunday school teacher although he privately confided in me that he didn't actually believe in the Christian version of God. He was a troublemaker in high school, playing a lot of pranks (ex. turning the heater crank all the way up, removing the crank, and throwing it out the window into the snow, so that the building was over 100°F and school had to be canceled). He lied whenever he felt it was useful, and was skilled at emotional blackmail and guilt trips. He was good at making people laugh.

Ideas, or questions that could provide insight?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

ESTP
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    iNtJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    ESTP
    Please elaborate? I'm interested to know where you got this.

From personalitypage.com/ESTP.html:

'They are impatient with theory, and see little use for it in their quest to "get things done".'

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sonata View Post
    Please elaborate? I'm interested to know where you got this.

From personalitypage.com/ESTP.html:

'They are impatient with theory, and see little use for it in their quest to "get things done".'
    I got it from the information you provided. All of it sounded consistent with ESTPs I have known or known about.

From the page you just mentioned:

"The ESTP is most comfortable when they can treat life as a big game in which they must be quick to use their skills in order to win. In such a game-playing scenario, the ESTP is most likely to be the winner, as no other personality type is as quick on their feet as the ESTP."

"ESTPs have an amazingly ability to size up people in an instant and come up with an accurate ballpark understanding of where they are coming from. The ESTP cannot help using this skill, it is natural for them, but it brings them great satisfaction to be able to use this skill to enact some personal gain, or to “win the game.”

"May be manipulative, taking advantage of other people’s weaknesses for their own gain."

"Can be overconfident of their own cunning or ability, ignoring problems which eventually catch up with them on their blind side."

"May find it difficult or be actually unwilling to follow through where an ongoing commitment is expected."

"May be unable to maintain employment for any length of time, losing credibility with potential employers or clients by job hopping."

From here:

"They are lively, entertaining, and fun."

"They are likely to look for loopholes, special niches, or other unusual opportunities for finding high rewards for the investment of their time. They are willing to play by the rules but only the point of using the rules to help them be or do what they want."

"ESTPs are uncanny at observing people's motivations, somehow hypersensitive to minimal nonverbal cues which other types might miss. And they are masters at using these observations to "sell" the "client." The eye of the ESTP is ever on the eye of the beholder, and all actions are directed toward this audience. Witty, clever, and fun, ESTPs seem to possess an unusual amount of empathy, when in fact this is not the case; rather, they are so acutely aware of minimal signals from others that they are usually several jumps ahead in anticipation of another's position. And ESTPs can use information gained to the ends they have in mind-apparently with nerves of steel, engaging in what seems to others to be suicidal brinkmanship."

Just going off the information you provided, ESTP seems to fit best in my view. But I didn't spend hours analyzing the information or anything.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    iNtJ

Cool. Thank you for the load of evidence. I didn't consider that before and now it sounds pretty good.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

yeah jeff might be right - living alone with stacks of books isn't necessarily an "INTX" thing

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Most likely an ETP, I'd guess ENTP.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Sounds like someone I know, and I typed him as ENTP.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

So there's this guy I used to know, and I'd like some of your opinions on his type, because I can't figure it out.

A lot of the evidence points toward unhealthy INTP. He was extremely smart and somewhat arrogant about it, but never really got anywhere with it. He had a lot of radical political/social beliefs that he never acted upon. He couldn't or didn't want to keep a job. He owned hundreds of books which covered the walls of his apartment, in which he lived alone. I think he believed that most people were fairly stupid. He had a problem with drugs and alcohol.

But then.

He was way better at reading people, understanding them, and getting the reactions he wanted than any INTx I've heard of. In addition, he was very charismatic and people were drawn to him. He had one LTR that I know of, with an INFJ. It was full of issues but he never really got over it, even after she'd long since moved on. He was a respected Sunday school teacher although he privately confided in me that he didn't actually believe in the Christian version of God. He was a troublemaker in high school, playing a lot of pranks (ex. turning the heater crank all the way up, removing the crank, and throwing it out the window into the snow, so that the building was over 100°F and school had to be canceled). He lied whenever he felt it was useful, and was skilled at emotional blackmail and guilt trips. He was good at making people laugh.

Ideas, or questions that could provide insight?

I just wanted to comment even though it's a little late. What I put in bold seems very ENTP, what I've underlined and italicized does not. He very well may have been an unhealthy ENTP, sounds more like an ExTP in all honesty as much of what you mention seems a lot like an ESTP.

Any way you slice it you have an unhealthy unbalanced person/type.

I would type them as ExTP though...

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by sonata View Post
    He was way better at reading people, understanding them, and getting the reactions he wanted than any INTx I've heard of. In addition, he was very charismatic and people were drawn to him.
    Yeah, this means he could be an extrovert who just doesn't like people, and/or rubbed people the wrong way once they got to know him (past that charismatic first impression). And if he had a haughty attitude, that would make it even more likely.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.