Thread: My N flipped. ?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Default My N flipped. ?

I was an INFJ the first time I ever took the test, which was administered by a psych grad student I was dating at the time, and this was 20-some years ago. But in the past few years, every time I take the test, I come out as an ISFJ.

I thought your type didn't change.

So what's up with that?

MBTI
    INTJ

A person's type doesn't change, and there can be many reasons why you keep testing the way you do now.
    While the basic skeleton of our type doesn't change, we can test differently later on in life because we have matured and balanced out our abilities more.
    So at our age, when we take an MBTI test, we should really be answering the questions in the context of the way we WERE when we were school-aged, approximately ages 6-25.
    This will tell you your basic type that you started with, and understanding how you've developed since then becomes easier.
    Either your grad friend was wrong, or the tests you're taking now are wrong.
    The online tests are notoriously unreliable.
    It's much better to have a one-on-one consultation with someone who understands it.
    Sometimes people come to this forum and their writing style gives away their type, though not always.

Welcome to the forum, btw!

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    their writing style gives away their type
    Examples? Is it really true that a person's introverted function is used most in writing? Would that make INxJs best at creative writing?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    So what's up with that?
    It depends on your school of thought.

However, what can be said is that when tested, younger people self-report more N than S (in both a gradient and when reduced to the two types).

My personal opinion is that what is changing is measured is a degree of learny-ness, for a lack of better words. Young people are still in the process of developing and are relatively open/seeking information/etc compared to their older peers.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    A person's type doesn't change, and there can be many reasons why you keep testing the way you do now.
    While the basic skeleton of our type doesn't change, we can test differently later on in life because we have matured and balanced out our abilities more.
    So at our age, when we take an MBTI test, we should really be answering the questions in the context of the way we WERE when we were school-aged, approximately ages 6-25.
    This will tell you your basic type that you started with, and understanding how you've developed since then becomes easier.
    Either your grad friend was wrong, or the tests you're taking now are wrong.
    The online tests are notoriously unreliable.
    It's much better to have a one-on-one consultation with someone who understands it.
    Sometimes people come to this forum and their writing style gives away their type, though not always.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
    Thanks for the welcome!
    When I was 6-25, I was definitely an INFJ. But I don't feel that way anymore at all. I'm not idealistic anymore and I haven't had a psychic experience in years and years, for example.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Maybe those who come to value IRL over abstract things become sensors?

I really do wonder when it is decided... Is it biological (present at birth)? Maybe it's the first few years of our lives that shape us... Maybe we change all the time?

From what I've heard, the brain isn't fully developed until age 21 or so... If it isn't, how can anyone say that people never change type, at least during the first 21 years?

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

Thanks for the welcome!
    When I was 6-25, I was definitely an INFJ. But I don't feel that way anymore at all. I'm not idealistic anymore and I haven't had a psychic experience in years and years, for example.
    I know how that feels.

MBTI
    LoLz

There's also the fact that even if the theory is correct, a lot of people just don't know themselves.

From what I've read, your brain determines your E/I preference and J/P preference very early on, within the first few years of your life. A child can display all 4 preferences until they're in elementary school and their brain chooses the preferred dominant. The last preference doesn't start showing itself in full force until middle school, which is around 12. You don't essentially change type.

Misunderstandings of the MBTI, improper testing, bad descriptions of types, lack of self-knowledge/honesty with yourself along with the requirement to use all 8 processes everyday will definitely cloud your ability to find your type.

It's the lemon syndrome, like someone else said. The lemon by itself will look nice and healthy. Start squeezing it and sooner or later its true nature will come out, splattering all over you.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I was an INFJ the first time I ever took the test, which was administered by a psych grad student I was dating at the time, and this was 20-some years ago. But in the past few years, every time I take the test, I come out as an ISFJ.

So what's up with that?
    You were probably always ISFJ, and just got an erroneous test result. It happens all the time.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

So what's up with that?
    I think that you could easily be an INFJ who has been focused on S for a while. I do know that sometimes doing something that forces me to focus on details can cause me to lose sight of the big picture temporarily.

I don't have a good sense of what an ISFJ is supposed to be like, though... how much curiousity and abstraction is inherent in human nature, and how much points to N?

It's likely that your type didn't change. The question is, does Ni or Si feel more like "you," fundamentally, and does the way you react under stress seem more Ne or Se?