• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENFP, INFP, xNFP, ENTP, xNxP?

My type?

• ENFP

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • xNFP

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • ENTP

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • INTP

• xNTP

• xNxP

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Been wondering. I fit ENFP well but always test close to the border with I, and I have a few differences from other ENFPs on the board (though not major). I've also tested low F once, though only once. I'm sure Jack or someone would've said if I didn't fit, but thought I'd ask the question anyway to remove any doubts I have.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Learn functions.

Yeh, I know I'm Ne with some Fi, and some thinking function, but all of them have that. Are there any free function tests around on the net still? I'd be interested in my order.

And I'm aware I fit ENFP pretty well. It's just that I get typed as a thinking type by people so often in life, that I figured that questioning my own perception isn't really a bad idea. Main reason I threw it out there. See if anyone saw differently.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Listen to the people that know you well.

Actually it was Mum that typed me ENFP. I tested INFJ at first. But mum pointed out that I wasn't a J, and probably wasn't introverted either, though I'm close. So I read the type descriptions to her and we both agreed that I fitted ENFP best. I actually couldn't consistently test as any type to start with.

After being on here a few weeks the NFP thing has become pretty obvious though. And my other confirmation was my similarity with an INFP I know and recognition of past type conflicts with an INFJ I know.

Really the only non-ENFP ones on the list that I'd seriously considered were xNFP (which I test close to most times), ENxP and xNxP(which I've tested as once).

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
My mom typed me too, and it's the only type I've resonated with so completely. It's easy to listen to others when what they have to say sounds so sweet, but you'll always have this lingering impression that it's just not you they're describing.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Use V.I. It helps a lot, and there definitely is a connection.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
visual identification. don't use it unless you can't help it though.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
It's hard to judge people's true overall personalities based on online responses alone- since it's only reflective of minuscule part of their persona and what they go through in their daily lives.

On top of that, some people are better at articulating themselves through writing, others aren't. I know it hasn't been my strength, for sure.

Sometimes people post on forums because they're bored or need an outlet. Sometimes they're in transition phases of their lives.. so naturally, due to a state of uncertainly, they're not going to be in the best of moods all the time.

In other words, situational factors don't reflect overall personality. Real life interactions are a better read (non-verbal communication is just as strong, if not, more communicative than through text).

I agree. Trust people you are closest with. They tend to know us most, second to ourselves. Btw, I voted ENFP.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (43.7) excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************** (42.6) excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************** (39.8) excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************** (31.4) good use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (26.5) average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************** (25.5) average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.9) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (13.2) unused

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INTP, or ENFP

It's a pretty interesting result. Might have been my interpretation of the questions though. I'll retake it in a few days and see if it comes up completely different.

It's funny being listed as an ENTP with 2 Fs in the top four also :). The F side developed mid to late teens though and has strengthened through my 20s. May have been a case of being brought up on logic and reason by my INTP dad, and that was when independence kicked in, or it may be a strong tertiary.

Last edited:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Don't take those results too seriously.

Yeh, you guys know from experience that my Fe sucks sometimes :). Not sure how it scored so high. And the INTPs including my dad are always going on at me about logic, so don't know how Ti got top. Maybe I wasn't objective enough to do the test right.

Maybe upbringing wise I had an INFJ mum and INTP dad so learnt to instinctively approve of the Fe and Ti questions. It's clear I'm an Ne, because Se, Ni, and Si are all down the bottom. And the Se probably is from my older and younger sister's influence ISTP and ISFP. Ne seems to just randomly learn the perspectives of everything it is surrounded by and add them to your thinking patterns if it deems them valuable. Which at a young age all creatures I looked up to were deemed to be. ie. INFJ INTP ISTP

In terms of things, Ne Ti Fe as the top three on the test, doesn't make a strong argument against the ENTP thing.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Been wondering. I fit ENFP well but always test close to the border with I, and I have a few differences from other ENFPs on the board (though not major). I've also tested low F once, though only once. I'm sure Jack or someone would've said if I didn't fit, but thought I'd ask the question anyway to remove any doubts I have.

My biggest issue with Myers Briggs is their insistence on testing whether or not one exhibits the stereotypical behaviors of a particular function regardless of its direction or its direction apart from the function/cognitive process (ie "introversion" instead of Fi; or "feeling" instead of Fi). The four letter code result that you get is merely a short hand from which to derive your top 4 prefered cog. processes. ...so why don't they test the processes themselves instead of testing stereotypical attitudes and behaviors? Because they're retarded and want to confuse you (unlike me who's making perfect sense...).

Anyway, to answer your question:

Manytimes ENFPs are mistyped by myers briggs as INFPs or ENTPs due to the way (1)extroversion and (2)feeling are tested. 1) extroversion is often measured by social factors (how social one is, whether one prefers large groups or small, etc.). Being social is one symptom of extroversion, but neither neccesary nor sufficient to make one an extrovert (where an "extrovert" is anyone with Se, Ne, Fe, or Te as their dominant function). A common trend I've noticed on this site (and ime) is that ENFPs often mistype themselves as INFPs... and often during a boring, depressing, unhappy or lonely point in their lives (ie. the times where they're less social... and the time most of us use to cultivate our Fi).

ENTP was something I've been mistyped for as well. You mentioned scoring low on F once. 2) I find that many questions that test whether or not you're a "feeler" actually test whether or not you're Fe or display Fe traits. Fi is a different beast than Fe and harder to test, so often those with Fi will score lower on F than perhaps they should.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Yeh, I think the 5 wing in my enneagram makes me test more T also. That was probably why I tested high Ti on the test. My drive for knowledge and understanding of systems of any type is quite high. The fact I want to pull systems apart doesn't mean I approach it rationally or care about the technical details though.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
According to your cognitive functions test, well, it's rather clear you look like an ENTP, whether you want it or not. As an ENFP, you would have had instead an excellent Fi, a good Te, and only a very ordinary Fe.

You know, there are several kind of ENTPs. Mature ENTPs often score rather borderline to ENFP in classic tests, because of their high Fe and mediocre Te (-> ENTPs don't like to rule people). But again the difference should be obvious with cognitive functions.

In the past, I have sometimes scored as an ENFP too. But I didn't look like one, because I wasn't an ethical person, and enjoyed nothing more than to argue. "Harmony" had absolutely no meaning for me, even if I often felt an instinctive, unexplainable sympathy for my fellow men.
ENFPs are nice people, and know perfectly why (strong values). ENTPs can behave nicely too, but couldn't really explain why.

You should also look into your past. How were you, when you were a young teen?
I was quite an unsufferable, arrogant teen, very ENT-like. I was a clown-class who enjoyed nothing more than to provoke some of his (unfortunate) teachers. The Fe developped only years later: I'd say it was already there, but dormant somehow (I never was selfish, and frequently had sudden bursts of generosity). Should you have been an ENF-Teen instead, you would rather have been a socially smooth person, with lot of friends, more enjoyable than really entertaining.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I was a bit of a smart ass as a teen. Not really centre of attention like though. But could stir people up a lot. Not the most empathetic person on Earth. Though I did feel guilt about things and going along with stuff sometimes. Other times the evil in me was more at play.

As a child I always thought of myself as a little autistic in terms of emotions. Quite simple and straight forward, naive, easily played. Though it is probably just a comparative and the way I remembered it. I always played side-kick up until my late teens. I was prepared to just be companion to people and slip under the radar, wasn't that huge on individuality until I realised how much that course of living was holding me back.

I never explored electronics on my own when I was introduced to them by my father, but I always had an interest in technical systems and how things in the world worked. I had no hobbies related to them though, except maybe optimising my computer. And playing with numbers and maths. The answer was always the goal. I enjoy evilness a little too. Like I'm not at all set off by inappropriate, insensitive jokes. I often find them quite funny. My only real campaigning is in terms of when people get crossed. Like my pet dislike is arrogance at the cost of people. On the other hand I'm normally the one to take the joke a step too far into the totally inappropriate areas like finding amusement in Nazis, and suggesting ideas like pretending to be a pedophile at Halloween to get the children to run away if you don't have any treats. Obviously I'd never act on these things because of their implications, but in theory the inappropriate left field response normally amuses me. As do intelligent psychopaths in movies. Like I think about 50% were psychopaths on my list in the list of top ten favourite fictional characters thread.

The feeling side is the part that doesn't fit an ENTP. Multiple times in the last 5 years I've buried myself socially for someone else's gain. Some injustices especially ones that stunt or control people and limit their freedom I have a lot of trouble walking past. My problem with deciding is I don't know how an ENTP feels. My deepest feelings are never overly emotional and free, but that's normal for Fi and type 4w5 enneagram. My excitement and inspired feelings you normally see contagiously. I also V.I. as ENFP (I think) though it depends on the photo. The most like me person I've met also tested as INFP. I actually thought she was making it up and just agreeing with me at first.

The Ne Ti Fe has got me thinking though... I rechecked the questions and agreed with my response to most. It is a little too well correlated for me not to explore the possibility.

oops... I just realised I didn't put ENxP on the list.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cognitive Process Level of Development (Preference, Skill and Frequency of Use)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************** (43.7) excellent use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ***************** (42.6) excellent use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) ***************** (39.8) excellent use
introverted Feeling (Fi) ***************** (31.4) good use
extraverted Sensing (Se) ***************** (26.5) average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) ***************** (25.5) average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) ***************** (17.9) limited use
introverted Sensing (Si) ***************** (13.2) unused

Summary Analysis of Profile
By focusing on the strongest configuration of cognitive processes, your pattern of responses most closely matches individuals of this type: ENTP

Lead (Dominant) Process
Extraverted Intuiting (Ne): Exploring the emerging patterns. Wondering about patterns of interaction across various situations. Checking what hypotheses and meanings fit best. Trusting what emerges as you shift a situation’s dynamics.

Support (Auxilliary) Process
Introverted Thinking (Ti): Gaining leverage (influence) using a framework. Detaching to study a situation from different angles and fit it to a theory, framework or principle. Checking for accuracy. Using leverage to solve the problem.

If these cognitive processes don't fit well then consider these types: INTP, or ENFP

It's a pretty interesting result. Might have been my interpretation of the questions though. I'll retake it in a few days and see if it comes up completely different.

It's funny being listed as an ENTP with 2 Fs in the top four also :). The F side developed mid to late teens though and has strengthened through my 20s. May have been a case of being brought up on logic and reason by my INTP dad, and that was when independence kicked in, or it may be a strong tertiary.

If the F developed late teens, that is about the time the tertiary is supposed to develop, and it would make sense. Having T parents can be an influence, but if you were already a T yourself, of course that would develop sooner. And if you looked up to TP's and FJ's, then that might suggest ego-compatibility with those types, at least in the judgment area.

And having the two F's still does not override Ti being so high.
I was a bit of a smart ass as a teen. Not really centre of attention like though. But could stir people up a lot. Not the most empathetic person on Earth. Though I did feel guilt about things and going along with stuff sometimes. Other times the evil in me was more at play.
I never explored electronics on my own when I was introduced to them by my father, but I always had an interest in technical systems and how things in the world worked. I had no hobbies related to them though, except maybe optimising my computer. And playing with numbers and maths. The answer was always the goal. I enjoy evilness a little too. Like I'm not at all set off by inappropriate, insensitive jokes. I often find them quite funny.
That really does sound ENTP.
Fi with its ethics would more likely avoid that kind of stuff, while Ti is the one that's into technical stuff. It's one way I finally realized that was what I preferred. The Ne of ENFP's can be both strong willed against authority (e.g. 'badly behaved kid'), as well as give them multiple interests in things, but what you're describing clearly sounds like Ne-Ti, and not just from outside influence.
Yeh, I think the 5 wing in my enneagram makes me test more T also. That was probably why I tested high Ti on the test. My drive for knowledge and understanding of systems of any type is quite high. The fact I want to pull systems apart doesn't mean I approach it rationally or care about the technical details though.
That still sounds like Ti, but perhaps not caring about the details simply indicates the subordination of Ti to a dominant Ne? So again, that really seems to fit ENTP. And I know INTP's score as 5 a lot. ENTP's seem to come out 7w8; but still, the Ti influence might still pull you towards 5. (ENFP's seem to be 7, but not usually with 8. there's a discussion right now about them being 4's at times, as well).

Looking at it in classic temperament, would you consider yourself a Sanguine-Choleric, or a Sanguine-Phlegmatic? ENTP's seem to be Sanguine-Choleric (which also corresponds perfectly with the 7w8). But ENFP's may occasionally come out Choleric (instead of Phlegmatic) too; but it still might be another good clue.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Looking at it in classic temperament, would you consider yourself a Sanguine-Choleric, or a Sanguine-Phlegmatic? ENTP's seem to be Sanguine-Choleric (which also corresponds perfectly with the 7w8). But ENFP's may occasionally come out Choleric (instead of Phlegmatic) too; but it still might be another good clue.

I feel more Sanguine-Phlegmatic of the two. I'm not really rebellious at all. Prefer to meet people on their terms, unless there is something I see as important in the argument.

In terms of ENTP and Ti: My maths skills have always been really good. In a way that has to be innate. I scored near perfect score on all three maths subjects I took in my last year at school with little study, my teacher also said I was one his only students ever to get a perfect score on the logic test in philosophy (again without study), and probability I also get perfect without much knowledge of how I'm meant to do it. There is definitely something innate in that whole area, whether an ENFP could have it also, I don't know.

On the other hand my enneagram type 4w5 is common for ENFP, very common for INFP and very uncommon for ENTP. SCUAI correlates well with ENFP too. Also on the feeling side, it became expressed more in my late teens, but when I was younger I always used to say it felt like God stuffed up and gave me empathy twice. Still my will to connect with others on a deeper level wasn't really considered. I wasn't a huge relationship seeker, just went with the flow. Though that could correlate with maturity and awareness of self.

Maybe my writing approach is common for INFP (with the excitement of ENFP). It just comes naturally. I almost think in terms of word flow. And lyrical and poetic things come quite easily. Correct grammar and editing things does not. My father (INTP) is really good at checking grammar (tertiary Si?) but I suck. I have the same problem with other work also, it is often quicker for me to reproduce it than look at what I did last time and try to figure it out. Still as much as most of my family gives me crap for my writing skills, I wrote my physics honours thesis in 6 days for an HD score. I find it quite easy to cleanly and concisely put technical thoughts and explanations to paper. So concisely that words normally get added when my sister edits it, rather than removed.

You don't normally see the stuff about my technical side posted to judge on though which may have skewed opinions. I find it occasionally amusing, but I tend to talk myself down in things and lower people's expectations rather than talk myself up. I don't really care for achievement at all. It is an amusing novelty, that sometimes helps you get into whatever you feel like trying next but not really something important to me. I explore stuff, they give me a piece of paper.

Last edited: