• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can she be INFJ??

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
When I first ran across her, it was in a local community newsgroup where she was making a dramatic goodbye after being dragged over hot coals for something tactless she said about home schooling methods and abortion. I had never met her face to face at this point, but I e-mailed her and said didn't she think that was a bit hasty, and she'd probably feel a dickwad later for it.

Several months later she e-mailed me and said she figured I was right, she had overreacted and after all, she had been very tactless. She said she just hated it when people were so irrational and took things too personally and couldn't just talk about things without getting het up, so she'd felt like she just had no future in a group like that.

Since she came back to the group, she and I have become friends. We get along very well, and she repeatedly shows a preference for things to be explained logically, without personal bias or emotion.

A typical exchange between she and I would be how, this afternoon, we took the piss out of a woman who signs all her posts on the newsgroup with "I birth my babies at home", we e-mailed each other after seeing each other at a meeting this morning where I said i was sorry for not getting round to reading her blog. These are the emails:

Don't worry about not reading my blog, honestly I'm not the needy type, I'm not hurt or anything that you didn't read it. I haven't read yours either. - Linda (I have my babies surgically removed from me)

LOL! - Sam (So did I and I'm a man!)

PMSL!!

Honestly though, I do mean to read your blog, what's the link again? - Sam (I threw my babies in the river but the bastards swam back)

*gives link* - Linda (I swallowed a knife and my baby cut its way out when it was ready)

---------

This woman is fond of the whole MBTI thing and agrees with my 'diagnosis' that I'm an ENTP. But I find it rather difficult to see her as an F of any type, though she says quite confidently that she's an INFJ.

What do you think?

edit - this is her blog, if it helps the diagnosis: [link removed - explanation below!]

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Maybe I read that too quickly but that was a little freaky like you're excited or something. :alttongue: Anyway I agree with her, you're an ENTP and if she believes she's an INFJ then she prolly is. I believe you can't type a person based on words alone. Looking into someone's eyes can be very telling. ;)

Do you think she'd mind you posting her blog here for us to see? I'd be more than irritated if it were me.

Seems though you really like this woman, would you say it's mutual?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
No I'm not excited in that sense, the multiple question marks are to express incredulity, not excitement.

No I don't think she'd mind posting her blog for anyone to see, why else would it be on public webspace? If people want to restrict access there are ample ways to do so. I know I wouldn't even consider the concept of irritation about someone putting a link to my website somewhere - how absurd! :)

I do like her though, and from her regular invitations and stuff I'd say yeah it is mutual. But platonic, before you 'go there' ;) that's the other reason I find it hard to see her as INFJ... I've never clicked with one of that type before!! lol

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
No I'm not excited in that sense, the multiple question marks are to express incredulity, not excitement.

No I don't think she'd mind posting her blog for anyone to see, why else would it be on public webspace? If people want to restrict access there are ample ways to do so. I know I wouldn't even consider the concept of irritation about someone putting a link to my website somewhere - how absurd! :)

I do like her though, and from her regular invitations and stuff I'd say yeah it is mutual. But platonic, before you 'go there' ;) that's the other reason I find it hard to see her as INFJ... I've never clicked with one of that type before!! lol
That's interesting. I've always scored INFJ and while I like you, (and i say this with love in my heart) there is something that makes me want to bop you over the head.

In any case, does it matter what type she is or how much you enjoy her company?

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
back at you dear, right back! ;)

if you mean does it matter in the sense of does it factor into my decision as to whether or not to associate or whatever then no, of course not. but part of the fun of being into MBTI is typing your friends and family... intellectual curiosity, possible real world applications, grappling with systems and reconciling inconsistencies - ring any bells?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I'll ring your bell. :devil:

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm supposed to get on well with ENTP's but the ones I've met here and irl are too outgoing (and nit picky) for me so I don't see how that could work. My INTJ is very easy for me to get along with, however I can't see anyone else understanding him as well as I do. While I don't agree with his opinions on everything (they can be harsh) I always understand where he's coming from.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I first ran across her, it was in a local community newsgroup where she was making a dramatic goodbye after being dragged over hot coals for something tactless she said about home schooling methods and abortion. ...I e-mailed her and said didn't she think that was a bit hasty, and she'd probably feel a dickwad later for it.

Several months later she e-mailed me and said she figured I was right, she had overreacted and after all, she had been very tactless. She said she just hated it when people were so irrational and took things too personally and couldn't just talk about things without getting het up, so she'd felt like she just had no future in a group like that.

... she repeatedly shows a preference for things to be explained logically, without personal bias or emotion.

A typical exchange between she and I would be how, this afternoon, we took the piss out of a woman who signs all her posts on the newsgroup with "I birth my babies at home", we e-mailed each other after seeing each other at a meeting this morning where I said i was sorry for not getting round to reading her blog. These are the emails:

Don't worry about not reading my blog, honestly I'm not the needy type, I'm not hurt or anything that you didn't read it. I haven't read yours either. - Linda (I have my babies surgically removed from me)

LOL! - Sam (So did I and I'm a man!)

PMSL!!

Honestly though, I do mean to read your blog, what's the link again? - Sam (I threw my babies in the river but the bastards swam back)

*gives link* - Linda (I swallowed a knife and my baby cut its way out when it was ready)

---------

This woman is fond of the whole MBTI thing and agrees with my 'diagnosis' that I'm an ENTP. But I find it rather difficult to see her as an F of any type, though she says quite confidently that she's an INFJ.

Why do you have issues with it?

Some INFJ females are dour and dark and have a deliciously violent sense of humor like that. There's also the focus on Fe that you saw. "Cutting their way out of the womb?" That might shock you, if you expect F women to avoid thoughts like that... but honest, INFJ women I've met have had the most violent dark fantasies, involving violence and death and other creepy things, than any other sort of NF woman I know.

The thing to remember is that usually they'll just "break the Fe rules" in private with people they trust. They will usually, unless really upset or violated, keep a proper approach to social affairs and not make a stink. But when their values are violated, expect them to dig in.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Why do you have issues with it?

I don't get it... why does anyone think I have 'issues' with it? I don't have any issues, i'm just curious, geez! I mean if you met a middle aged male ESTP who hated motorcycles and loved pressing flowers and spending time with his grandma and reading books about relationships, you'd find it interesting, surely? :laugh:

Wait... :thinking: F's and personalizing stuff... :doh: :D

Actually, regarding the blog link I just emailed her saying:

Hey, considering you have a blog that's on public webspace with apparently no restrictions to access - are you one of the "yeah, it's public webspace so I don't care who links to it and where" types or are you the "it's only polite to ask me first before linking to me, I'd feel violated and offended if someone I didn't know was talking about my blog without me knowing" types?

to which she replied:

I don't care who links to it or talks about it! I don't get that attitude of ask if you want to link to me, it's the internet! Of course it might be a blow to the ego if some random person linked to it to take the piss out of my mundane life, but I think I'd survive! Link all you like :D Linda (I breastfeed my teenager)

But, if she really is an INFJ then I'm taking the link off anyway. One of the reasons I've had trouble with this type in the past is what from my POV seems like an obsessive attitude towards their own privacy, equalled only by their ability to justify snooping and stalking on others!! :D

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...But, if she really is an INFJ then I'm taking the link off anyway.

I think your criteria for weighing INFJ is too rigid.

Yes, there's a sense of what is "appropriate" due to Fe.
But there's a strong independence as part of this as well.

She told you she didn't care.
She doesn't care.
If she chose to put herself out there, then she's out there.
She can still be INFJ.
(I can't say she is; but nothing you've said is a flag against it at all.)

I don't even know how to explain it to you, I'm getting flummoxed. I feel like you're trying to read her from the outside in... looking to mark off a checklist that will somehow validate her as INFJ or not. Motivations matter more.

I guess it's far more complicated to explain this than I had thought. Sigh.

One OBVIOUS trait. She's an I ... and autonomous.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
though... actually Jennifer it wasn't the dark fantasies that surprised me - my ENFJ sister is one of the darkest people I know in that sense so I know Fe types can be like that. The local goth pub is full of NF's!

No, it was more the repeated preference for reasoned debate, impersonal expression, logical explanation, together with the general tactlessness in groups. These seem more like T-type preferences to me... admittedly many F's break the mould, but to break all of them at once, consistently... tends to suggest they belong in a different mould!

You're flummoxing me too jennifer, actually - you're suggesting agendas and intentions that hadn't even crossed my mind. I started the thread with a totally open mind wanting input precisely because I hadn't reached any conclusions and felt that my 'criteria' had been challenged, therefore wanting info to help revise them! Quite the opposite of what you're suggesting. It's like you've forgotten how ENTP's work ;)

(and I was only joking about the snooping thing - deadpan mode, sorry)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
though... actually Jennifer it wasn't the dark fantasies that surprised me - my ENFJ sister is one of the darkest people I know in that sense so I know Fe types can be like that. The local goth pub is full of NF's!

I've found the ENFJs to shy away more from the negative as as whole, the INFJs seem more apt to go into the dark places if they go. (I think that's the difference between Ni and Fe as a primary. INFJs imagine it but won't talk about it due to Fe; ENFJs want to be positive due to Fe but can perceive dark undercurrents in people.)

No, it was more the repeated preference for reasoned debate, impersonal expression, logical explanation, together with the general tactlessness in groups. These seem more like T-type preferences to me... admittedly many F's break the mould, but to break all of them at once, consistently... tends to suggest they belong in a different mould!

She could be INTJ. I wouldn't know. Like I said, I don't think your comments INVALIDATE her as INFJ. That's all. But the T aspect would give more impetus to the impersonal, cold, dark humor. It all depends.

I will say this: I don't see many INTJs insisting they're INFJs, the INTJ would be appalled. I've definitely seen INFJs trying to say they're T's, though.

You're flummoxing me too jennifer, actually - you're suggesting agendas and intentions that hadn't even crossed my mind. I started the thread with a totally open mind wanting input precisely because I hadn't reached any conclusions and felt that my 'criteria' had been challenged, therefore wanting info to help revise them! Quite the opposite of what you're suggesting. It's like you've forgotten how ENTP's work ;)

Actually, I'm being myself rather than trying to accommodate everyone else and always try to anticipate what they're thinking and doing; I'm telling you just what I see.

It's a nice tightrope, isn't it? :) <-- omg, I just used a smiley, I must be an F!

In any case, you're "sparring" with me and pushing back as if you disagree. Hence, I'm just letting myself respond that way.

You can assume that both of us are open, but we're both just challenging each other. I'm sure I sound more J than I am here... or at least, it's the Ji coming out.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I will say this: I don't see many INTJs insisting they're INFJs, the INTJ would be appalled. I've definitely seen INFJs trying to say they're T's, though.

Ah... but I've seen a lot, and it's been talked about a lot here too, women who don't like the idea of being T and so cling to an F identification, and men who insist they're T because they don't want to be a "sissy" F...

In any case, you're "sparring" with me and pushing back as if you disagree. Hence, I'm just letting myself respond that way.

Uh, well I think you're seeing something that ain't there... I haven't felt like I either was, or wanted to, challenge anyone. I was in a good, cheerful mood, musing and curious, openly asking for advice and information, not claiming to know anything and then all of a sudden you're coming over all stroppy and sarky at me, attributing all these sinister motives and bigoted opinions to me, then saying i started it! I'm kinda bewildered about it all and no longer feeling cheerful or like discussing anything any more :(

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ah... but I've seen a lot, and it's been talked about a lot here too, women who don't like the idea of being T and so cling to an F identification

You have?
Who?

Honestly, I don't remember seeing much like that at all.

and men who insist they're T because they don't want to be a "sissy" F...

That's men, silly. Of course they insist that.

Uh, well I think you're seeing something that ain't there...

Oh, it was there.
Externally.

It just isn't part of your motivation.

But that was the style of dialog.

I was in a good, cheerful mood, musing and curious, openly asking for advice and information, not claiming to know anything and then all of a sudden you're coming over all stroppy and sarky at me, attributing all these sinister motives and bigoted opinions to me, then saying i started it! I'm kinda bewildered about it all and no longer feeling cheerful or like discussing anything any more.

Lol -- you read stroppy, sarky, sinister, and bigoted in what I said? Wow!

Maybe I should just let destiny takes its course and become the Evil Queen Bitch, the Empress Jennifer who will crush your heart and bring darkness upon your life with her hordes of evil snigglings and drop cold and humorlessness over the face of the land forever!

Bwa ha ha!
Bwa ha ha!
Bwa ha ha!

*pauses, waits to see how Sub will interpret that*

So... ya think your friend's a T, huh? ;)

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I don't care who links to it or talks about it! I don't get that attitude of ask if you want to link to me, it's the internet! Of course it might be a blow to the ego if some random person linked to it to take the piss out of my mundane life, but I think I'd survive! Link all you like :D Linda (I breastfeed my teenager)

I like her sense of humor. :devil:

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
Gawd Jennifer, how'd ya get to be so smart?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Hey, considering you have a blog that's on public webspace with apparently no restrictions to access - are you one of the "yeah, it's public webspace so I don't care who links to it and where" types or are you the "it's only polite to ask me first before linking to me, I'd feel violated and offended if someone I didn't know was talking about my blog without me knowing" types?

to which she replied:

But, if she really is an INFJ then I'm taking the link off anyway. One of the reasons I've had trouble with this type in the past is what from my POV seems like an obsessive attitude towards their own privacy, equalled only by their ability to justify snooping and stalking on others!! :D
I will take her word for it. INFJs mean whatever they said in every sense of the word. As to your "obsession", I think it's your tertiary Fe running away again. :D

Besides, the violation of privacy issue is more likely to happen for INFPs. It's safe to say she's not that based on her joking remarks. Fi would be horrified.

I think your criteria for weighing INFJ is too rigid.
Agreed. She could just be an INFJ with a good grasp of Ti.

I'm not smart, I just pretend to be an INFJ on the forums!
Keep the act up missy! You might just fool all of us. :laugh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're such an NT, it makes me sick. SICK I tell ya! :ng_mad:

:)

Now I am very pleased.

But... let's not derail this thread.
We must stay on track, to help sub out.

Sub?
SUUUUUB?

Sigh.

Numbers

MBTI Type
INFJ
I can certainly relate to the dark imagination thing. My imagination can be very dark and frightening, my dreams are often scary. I would have made a good horror writer i'm sure.

I'm also very outwardly logical and everyone i've talked to about the myers-briggs system has pegged me as someone with INTJ preferences.

I'm not though. I've been conditioned as a guy to repress my F-side to act more logical and develop my thinking (Which, ironically, may have a lot to do with Fe motivation).

Maybe that's what happened with her. Maybe she is really a T, but was led to indentify more with F than she really does? (Since women are generally pushed more towards F) Just throwing that out there.