• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hard-to-type best friend

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(Continued from thread in SP forum)

I was just wondering about the type of one of my best friends. I can guess some others, but not him. I think maybe ISP...here's some detail:

Have you seen this, ISPs? People looking to you as a leader, even though you weren't trying to, but you don't mind the attention. Especially if you're a person who has a lot of self-confidence.

One of my best friends is this way, and he's really hard for me to figure out which type he'd be. (so don't be surprised if what I'm describing sounds really off)

He just does things his own way, and although he listens to input from others, he shrugs off criticism like it's nothing. That kind of attitude seems to really repel some people, and really acquire other people as willing fellow experimenters. In his hobbies and his work, he's very very hands-on.

But the main thing I found strange was that he always seems to end up in the leader position of projects and stuff. Does this ring a bell with you guys?

Most ISPs said it didn't sound like them. I really don't think he's an Extrovert. He might be J more than P. What are your thoughts?

Have fun.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sounds like a T... were most of the responders ISFPs? I wonder if he's an ISTP

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I think so too, at least the most probable. But I'm really not sure. He seems to almost have a charisma, like I said about the leader role people assume him to have, and I don't know if that really fits. Or it could just be a (high-confidence ISTP)-(low-confidence ISTJ) dynamic. But that doesn't explain why other people look to him... I'm considering all these things.

Last edited:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
ESFP would be my guess, but not a strong one. There's hardly anything to go on. The reason for my guess is that ESFP guys tend to be:

Adept at dealing with all sorts of people,
Not afraid of leadership,
Good about making sure someone who deserves it has their say, moreso than ESTPs,
Mechanically inclined. (Not in the "auto mechanic" sense, but that too)

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well what else can you say about him?

He just does things his own way, and although he listens to input from others, he shrugs off criticism like it's nothing. (doesn't sound ESFP)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He also says he has visions of different worlds in his dreams, part his imagination, but part serious, I'm sure. So there's the Intuition factor, I guess. He says he can guess which numbers are going to come up in game and scoreboards, in fact he puts faith in his predictions.

Still, he does very hands-on work and enjoys it that way. We fight Airsoft battles in his yard, used to go exploring through the woods and cutting new trails when we were younger. I'm not really into it on my own, I just do it because we're best friends, and it's hanging out.

He loves to play fantasy-strategy games, all the time. He writes music (I got him into that), and has taken to musical instrument repair and conducting as his career. He's already got a foothold in that area, much faster than I am in my career area.

He bikes and jogs for fun everyday, and when he can he runs in relay races.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
He also says he has visions of different worlds in his dreams, part his imagination, but part serious, I'm sure. So there's the Intuition factor, I guess. He says he can guess which numbers are going to come up in game and scoreboards, in fact he puts faith in his predictions.

Still, he does very hands-on work and enjoys it that way. We fight Airsoft battles in his yard, used to go exploring through the woods and cutting new trails when we were younger. I'm not really into it on my own, I just do it because we're best friends, and it's hanging out.

He loves to play fantasy-strategy games, all the time. He writes music (I got him into that), and has taken to musical instrument repair and conducting as his career. He's already got a foothold in that area, much faster than I am in my career area.

He bikes and jogs for fun everyday, and when he can he runs in relay races.
Uhhh...Who knows. Get him on the board and don't say it's so we can type him.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
only people I can compare him to are ISFPs (he sounds like 3 of them I know actually.. the video games, the guitar, the outdoor activities..) you may have been right with your original guess... It may just be special that he gets the leadership positions... He could also be a very balanced ISFP.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
actually I just thought of a fourth. and i'm just assuming that he plays guitar because thats what you play in the picture. :)

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh he's not into guitar (that's not him in my profile pictures). He only does band instruments: clarinet, saxophone, bassoon, etc. But I don't think that makes much of a difference, right?

Jack, you were looking for more info on how his mind works, and less activities?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess it wouldn't make a difference

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
actually I just thought of a fourth. and i'm just assuming that he plays guitar because thats what you play in the picture. :)
My picture? That ain't me, sister, but I do play guitar.
Jack, you were looking for more info on how his mind works, and less activities?
Definitely. I can't really analyze through an ISTJ, regretfully. We notice different things.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I knew that would've been more helpful, but don't know much about it. I thought maybe you could infer it from what I gave you, or something. But it's not a pressing issue, I was just curious.

Last edited: