• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

xNTJ?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are quite a few members here at MBTIc who can easily type people even with a relatively small amount of data - and that's why I'm here.

In the last few weeks, I've learned a lot about personality theories, but I'm still unsure about my own type. According to the tests I've taken, I'm somewhere between ENTJ and INTJ; it's pretty hard to determine which one suits me better from the descriptions, so I guess I'll rely on your experience. TY in advance!

I'll try to point out some of my traits which either resemble INTJ or ENTJ, or maybe none of them.

- I have a few friends, and a large amount of acquaintances

- I've noticed that I don't really care about most people (their feelings even less), but if I'm attracted to somebody, or he/she grabs my attention, I become very excited and helpful(!)

- This happens to me on a daily basis: I'm walking to my classroom, and then a stranger stops me just like he does with an old buddy and calls out my name (how does he know?). He begins to talk about things like wheather and whatnot, and I don't even remember seeing his face. Guess I'm pretty popular, but I don't have the slightest clue why. On the other hand, I know only a few people from school.

- I really love to lead, but if I think there is a better candidate for the post, I prefer not to fight with him for leadership.

- I'm not an outgoing type, though there are times when I enjoy drinking with my mates and going to a party.

- A LOT of (sexual :D ) jokes, a lot of fun - but afterwards, I need to "recharge" alone. I don't mind being alone with my thoughts.

- I can't stand social chitchat, but I love to debate. Starting a conversation is not a problem for me, and I'm pretty good in presenting things - but I feel really awkward when meeting people I didn't know before.

- Some of my acquaintances would propably describe me as arrogant and cynical, but on rare occasions, I have strange emotional "outbursts", and I really like emotional music.

If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
E and I refer to the way we interact with the world and where we direct our energy.
Functioning in our preference energizes us, and functioning in our opposite can be tiring.

Extraverts tend to act first, then think.
Introverts tend to think first, then act.
Which one do you think you do the most?

Es tend to get energized by being with other people.
Is tend to get energized by being alone.
Do you know which is more energizing for you?

If you went to a house where there was a party and there were two rooms to choose from: one room had 50 people in it, and one room had 5 people in it, which one would you enter?

Which one can you stand the longest: being alone or being with people?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You sound like me. I even think our style of writing is similar, somehow. But that might be due to the fact that you say stuff that I agree with, in a way that I understand.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
- I have a few friends, and a large amount of acquaintances

- I really love to lead, but if I think there is a better candidate for the post, I prefer not to fight with him for leadership.

- A LOT of (sexual :D ) jokes, a lot of fun - but afterwards, I need to "recharge" alone. I don't mind being alone with my thoughts.

- I can't stand social chitchat, but I love to debate. Starting a conversation is not a problem for me, and I'm pretty good in presenting things - but I feel really awkward when meeting people I didn't know before.

- Some of my acquaintances would propably describe me as arrogant and cynical, but on rare occasions, I have strange emotional "outbursts", and I really like emotional music.

^ Are facets of my personality. And I'm most assuredly a Sensor. Might consider trying that on for size. I vote xSTJ.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for the quick answers.

INTJMom: Well then, I'd say I'm pretty balanced.

1. I tend to act first, and then think it over - which I've considered a bad habit before.

2. I'm energized by being alone, other people "drain" me sometimes.

3. If it's 50 strangers and 5 strangers, I guess I'd choose 50... it's more fun in a larger group. But if it's 50 acquaintances and 5 friends, I'd choose the latter.

4. Being alone.

I must be a deviant or something :nerd:

^ Are facets of my personality. And I'm most assuredly a Sensor. Might consider trying that on for size. I vote xSTJ.

I didn't think on that before... if I take tests, it's always INTJ or ENTJ.
I'll leave that option open, I guess.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4

INTJMom: Well then, I'd say I'm pretty balanced.

1. I tend to act first, and then think it over - which I've considered a bad habit before.

2. I'm energized by being alone, other people "drain" me sometimes.

3. If it's 50 strangers and 5 strangers, I guess I'd choose 50... it's more fun in a larger group. But if it's 50 acquaintances and 5 friends, I'd choose the latter.

4. Being alone.

I must be a deviant or something :nerd:
Not necessarily.
Though you do have some deviant desire for "fun"... don't know what THAT'S about! :newwink:

I think you are mostly an "I" based on those answers.
re: question #3 - E's can tend to prefer breadth, and I's can tend to prefer depth.
An "I" would be more likely to choose to be in a room with 5 friends than a room with 50 acquaintances.

I'm curious... how hard is it to get you to a party in the first place? Do you go to every party you're invited to? Do you dread going to parties?

Including the fact that you prefer to let someone more competent than you lead, I would say that you're probably mostly "I".

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
I didn't think on that before... if I take tests, it's always INTJ or ENTJ.
Well, I leave that option open, I guess.

The tests can mean absolutely nothing. I test out as almost anything. I read somewhere that this is a trait of ISTJs... wish I could remember where. Regardless, best fit typing is the best way to confirm the results of a test.

For example, first I got ENFP. Then I researched it and some worked... a lot didn't. ENTP was next. That one was another slightly close fit, but still incorrect. ENTJ was next. Close, very close... extremely close, but just not right. I read about the SJ temperament and it's true to my motivations, thoughts and behaviors, and the ESTJ type descriptions fit like a glove (though it didn't look like it at first). Even the descriptions of the ETJ child fit my behavior as a kid. Go figure.

It took me... omg, almost a year to figure out my type. And even now I'm open to other possibilities, though I'm confident about my type now.

Here's a link to a test that's more like the MBTI. It actually lets you skip questions you're unsure about. It can make a difference in your results: Skeletus Personality Test

Here's a link to some best fit typing descriptions: Temperament Theory Theory

Here are children's personality types: Personality and Kids

Including the fact that you prefer to let someone more competent than you lead, I would say that you're probably mostly "I".

I'd call that being a rational individual.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
These are really good questions because I too have never been completely sure of whether I was an extravert and an introvert. The MBTI said introvert, but not strongly. Half of the on-line tests that I took called me "isfp," and the other half called me "esfp."
To answer your questions, I would say that sometimes I act first, while other times, I actually think before acting. I am trying to teach myself to think more. For example, don't just grab for the cookies. Think: do you really need to eat all of those cookies? And right before you go to bed???
The second question: where does the energy come from, from being with other people or from being alone? Oh boy, there I just don't know. I love being with other people. I love to listen to them tell me stories and I love to do fun stuff with them or rehearse for a choral concert with them. I like their different personalities and ways of looking at the world. I do get energy from that. But then again, I treasure my alone time. I like to take long walks by myself and just look at and touch the things around me. I like to go to art museums by myself because then I can take as long as I want to look at the pictures. I get energy from that, too.
As far as picking the room in which I prefer to go to for the party, it depends on a number of factors: noise level and the size of the room. I have an auditory processing disorder and lots of competing conversations leave me confused and unable to participate in any activity and incapable of socializing. If the party were outside, the size of the group would be irrelevant because there is no echo effect to be concerned about.
Last question: which can you stand the longest: being alone or being with people. Despite being characterized as an introvert, I really don't like being alone. If I am alone for too long, I will become depressed and drained of all energy. If I am with a small group of people who get along well, I am happy to be with them day and night. If I am with a noisy crowd, I will want to run away.
So... what do you think????
I hope that you're having a good day.
me

E and I refer to the way we interact with the world and where we direct our energy.
Functioning in our preference energizes us, and functioning in our opposite can be tiring.

Extraverts tend to act first, then think.
Introverts tend to think first, then act.
Which one do you think you do the most?

Es tend to get energized by being with other people.
Is tend to get energized by being alone.
Do you know which is more energizing for you?

If you went to a house where there was a party and there were two rooms to choose from: one room had 50 people in it, and one room had 5 people in it, which one would you enter?

Which one can you stand the longest: being alone or being with people?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
These are really good questions because I too have never been completely sure of whether I was an extravert and an introvert. The MBTI said introvert, but not strongly. Half of the on-line tests that I took called me "isfp," and the other half called me "esfp."
To answer your questions, I would say that sometimes I act first, while other times, I actually think before acting. I am trying to teach myself to think more. For example, don't just grab for the cookies. Think: do you really need to eat all of those cookies? And right before you go to bed???
The second question: where does the energy come from, from being with other people or from being alone? Oh boy, there I just don't know. I love being with other people. I love to listen to them tell me stories and I love to do fun stuff with them or rehearse for a choral concert with them. I like their different personalities and ways of looking at the world. I do get energy from that. But then again, I treasure my alone time. I like to take long walks by myself and just look at and touch the things around me. I like to go to art museums by myself because then I can take as long as I want to look at the pictures. I get energy from that, too.
As far as picking the room in which I prefer to go to for the party, it depends on a number of factors: noise level and the size of the room. I have an auditory processing disorder and lots of competing conversations leave me confused and unable to participate in any activity and incapable of socializing. If the party were outside, the size of the group would be irrelevant because there is no echo effect to be concerned about.
Last question: which can you stand the longest: being alone or being with people. Despite being characterized as an introvert, I really don't like being alone. If I am alone for too long, I will become depressed and drained of all energy. If I am with a small group of people who get along well, I am happy to be with them day and night. If I am with a noisy crowd, I will want to run away.
So... what do you think????
I hope that you're having a good day.
me
Hmm. I think I'm still not sure. :blush:
I love being alone. I will actually become suicidal if I am constantly with people and don't have any time by myself. It's happened a few times, so I know that's what caused it! :shock:

What do you do in your spare time?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I did just read in another thread a few days ago that E's can think better around other people and I's can think better by themselves.
It seems to me that if you prefer to go to an art museum alone, I presume that would be so that you could be alone with your thoughts.
That would lean you more toward the "I" side.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
In my spare time, I play board games with my mom. I also go to rehearsals for a community chorus. I read and I crochet. Also, draw and paint... but I like to paint with other people around, especially a teacher, because I like the critique, which helps me to become a better artist. I like to play the piano or the recorder. Sometimes, I take community education classes. The most recent one was jewelry making. Also, I like to take long walks and take photographs. I've also participated in community theater and I've been in operas. I have been part of story telling groups. Those are a lot of fun because... um... I am a ham, and I love to perform on stage, especially if I get to wear a costume and makeup.
I do not love being alone but I dislike big crowds even more.
I hope that you get the alone time that you need!

Hmm. I think I'm still not sure. :blush:
I love being alone. I will actually become suicidal if I am constantly with people and don't have any time by myself. It's happened a few times, so I know that's what caused it! :shock:

What do you do in your spare time?

Last edited:

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Sometimes, it's fun to go with a friend, especially if we share the same taste in art. It's fun to laugh together at art that we don't like and ooh and ah at stuff that we do like. But, in general, I prefer going by myself because I don't care to be rushed. Also, I like to bring my sketchbook and practice drawing, and most people don't want to wait for me and my sketchbook.
But you have made some excellent points.

I did just read in another thread a few days ago that E's can think better around other people and I's can think better by themselves.
It seems to me that if you prefer to go to an art museum alone, I presume that would be so that you could be alone with your thoughts.
That would lean you more toward the "I" side.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now I've started to think that I may be a very slightly expressed 'I'...

I'm curious... how hard is it to get you to a party in the first place? Do you go to every party you're invited to? Do you dread going to parties?

It was pretty hard. In the first 2 years of high school, lots of people invited me, but I didn't go, because I found it lame and annoying. In my 3rd year, I became a lot more sociable, and eventually started to chill out and have fun. After a few... interesting cases and drunken nights, the whole thing became boring. So here I am - I go out sometimes, but if I don't enjoy things, I don't hesitate to leave immediately.
On the other hand, I'm behaving very extroverted sometimes, especially in school, because I get bored easily. I'm singing, shouting and joking around, making comments on stupid people and whatever. 5 minutes later, I'm sitting in the corner reading Machiavelli and don't give a shit about anything.
Now that's what I call strange :blink:

ETA: Oh, I forgot something. Unlike most INTJs, I can express my feelings pretty well, if I want to - which happens rarely.

Regardless, best fit typing is the best way to confirm the results of a test.

I've read some descriptions about ESTJs (including your link), and though some things sound familiar, I tend to think I'm not an ESTJ because of the following reasons:

- I don't respect rules or traditions if they don't seem to make sense to me.
- I don't follow leaders only because they were appointed by someone if they can't live up to my expectations.
- I tend to look at the future and possibilities instead of the here-and-now.
- I tolerate abnormality in case it's useful and not completely irrational.

Thank you both for your help until now ;)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
On the other hand, I'm behaving very extroverted sometimes, especially in school, because I get bored easily. I'm singing, shouting and joking around, making comments on stupid people and whatever.
That by itself doesn't make you an extrovert. I do the same thing.
I even sing and play guitar on stage and LOVE every minute of it.

I recently found out I am an enneagram four. That happens to explain the weird non-INTJ things about me.
Here's the best resource page for figuring out your enneagram.
The Enneagram Type Test
There is NO direct correlation to MBTI though because they measure different things.

I still think you are mostly an I.
Introverts can extravert and extraverts can introvert.
We all use all the functions.
What we are trying to determine is which are easiest to use? Which feel more comfortable? Which comes more naturally? Which requires less "work"?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Guess that makes me an INTJ, problem solved.
I'm still open to new ideas or concepts, I like to speak with those who are more experienced in personality testing than me.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
Oh, I forgot something. Unlike most INTJs, I can express my feelings pretty well, if I want to - which happens rarely.
I'm good with expressing my emotions as well... if I want to.

I've read some descriptions about ESTJs (including your link), and though some things sound familiar, I tend to think I'm not an ESTJ because of the following reasons:

- I don't respect rules or traditions if they don't seem to make sense to me.
Neither do I. They have to be practical. If they are practical, they will make sense to me. I am arrogant enough to believe that anything that doesn't make sense to me is pretty much worthless. ;)
- I don't follow leaders only because they were appointed by someone if they can't live up to my expectations.
It would be stupid to follow an incompetent leader. A potential waste of time. It's just not practical. My expectations are pretty basic though. They just have to be worth following.
- I tend to look at the future and possibilities instead of the here-and-now.
For the ESTJ, Ne is the third function. Some ESTJs develop the third function to the point that it overshadows the Si, to the point that they resemble the NT rational. I too look to the future. And I enjoy dabbling in abstract theory, hence my presence here. I simply require it to have some kind of practical application, which the MBTI has when used properly. For the ISTJ, Ne occupies the forth function.
- I tolerate abnormality in case it's useful and not completely irrational.
Useful = practical application. Very sensible. Very S. :devil:

The more I see you talk, the more you sound like me. Which could mean that you're an ESTJ, or it could mean that I am whatever you are. Either way, this will be interesting.

In the Personality and Kids link, did you find a description that fits the way you were during childhood? If so, which one fit?

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, just to put this out there: you're either one or the other. I'm interested in how many introverts actually confuse themselves as extraverts. I know many extraverts who believe at some point or another that they are introverts.

Being an introverted doesn't mean you simply like spending time alone sometimes, it means that you cannot possibly live without being able to escape and recharge.

Basically what I'm saying is make sure you're not using an additive process when trying to figure this all out. :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes when a person's preference isn't extreme, they can have a little trouble deciding,
or when they don't understand what the differences in the descriptions mean.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the Personality and Kids link, did you find a description that fits the way you were during childhood? If so, which one fit?

After taking the test, I was told that I'm most propably 'INJ', and out of 15 traits, 13 suits me well.

I don't want to sound like someone who doesn't want to score as a sensor, because that's not true - I'm really interested in determining my type.

Being an introverted doesn't mean you simply like spending time alone sometimes, it means that you cannot possibly live without being able to escape and recharge.

I think I could, which further complicates the situation :shock: